MCUniverse- Captain Marvel Rises!

A True Kaniggit

Just now, Corvinus said:

I like Homecoming. I'd say Vulture is one of the best villains the MCU has had so far. Of course, that's not saying that much, given the majority of them, but still.

I thought Lex Luthor was great for them.

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

So Homecoming. That’s a great film.

I enjoyed it a lot, i think mostly because it felt very small scale and didn’t feel like I hadn’t to have watched 100000 earlier marvel films to understand.

14 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The compositing is awful

That certainly is an alternative way of saying 'the CGI is bad'. 

When it comes to CGI, I'm no expert. But I defer to my partner, who used to be married to a pro in the field, and who can see nothing wrong with the CGI in BP. It's not perfect. But it's not the worst thing ever and it doesn't ruin the film. 

26 minutes ago, mormont said:

That certainly is an alternative way of saying 'the CGI is bad'. 

When it comes to CGI, I'm no expert. But I defer to my partner, who used to be married to a pro in the field, and who can see nothing wrong with the CGI in BP. It's not perfect. But it's not the worst thing ever and it doesn't ruin the film. 

Geez, Mormont, that was one phrase of like a long, detailed and in depth list of reasons heartofice listed about why he didn’t like the CGI. He responded to the board’s question after getting a lot of flak in this thread (rightly or wrongly.) And your response is basically a classic appeal to authority (I know someone who understands CGI and he says it’s fine.) Would have been better to just let it go or thank him for posting his reasons. 

14 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

At least this seems to give a bit more of a hint of her personality. I think what has underwhelmed me about this movie so far is that the trailers just seem to show a movie with lot of flashy lights and pew pew lasers and a pretty dull origin story I feel we've seen before. Hopefully what will set this movie apart is the relationship between her and Fury (even if his face is freaking me out a bit)

Psyched ... but then I’m psyched about everything Marvel puts out. They can count on my money for at least 5 films even if they start churning out shit.

My only observation is how crazy powered she is, it’s gonna be tricky balancing that if she’s gonna be appearing alongside others in the future. It’s hard to see Avengers: Endgame just being a time travel do-over but with Captain Marvel, they very nearly beat Thanos first time. It’d be a whitewash if she’s involved.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

Psyched ... but then I’m psyched about everything Marvel puts out. They can count on my money for at least 5 films even if they start churning out shit.

My only observation is how crazy powered she is, it’s gonna be tricky balancing that if she’s gonna be appearing alongside others in the future. It’s hard to see Avengers: Endgame just being a time travel do-over but with Captain Marvel, they very nearly beat Thanos first time. It’d be a whitewash if she’s involved.

Not if the heroes are still lacking all of those who got snapped, surely?

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

Honestly her and full Odinforce Thor should be able to take him out.

I think the snap was a one time thing. The gauntlet looked damaged after he did it. The stones are probably fine, but I'd be curious to what extent he can use the full power of them together. And Thor with Stormbreaker proved to be a match.

24 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

If Thanos can wipe out the universe in the blink of an eye, I'm not sure what cool laser beams are going to do.

That's not the point: We all know that Team Avengers will win in the end. The question is how do we get there.

Her being overpowered basically means that her abilities put her so far ahead of the other Avengers (except maybe levelled up Thor, but even that is questionable), that it's hard to see where the substantial contribution of the other Avengers is supposed to come from, at least on the battlefield. In any RPG, Captain marvel would basically be the super-tank in the group, making all the other tank-characters kind of obsolete.

Look at the first Avenger film, where everybody is tiptoeing around Bruce Banner, because they know that once he's the Hulk, he's basically unstoppable. But the Hulk has obvious flaws, his rage, his struggle with Banner etc.  The scenes where everyone is nervous around him are great (Tony poking him with a pen and the reaction to that). The only one not giving a fuck is Thor because he's basically on the same level.

Now we get a character that's basically unstoppable like the Hulk, can even survive and fight in space without assistance, has the offensice abilities of an Ironman suit and then some more, the self control and tactical knowledge of a combat vet (like the cap), seriously - is there anything she cannot do? The obvious quesiton is how will this work in a franchise where the standard ending is a team of supes smashing through a horde of enemies and then kill/destroy/contain the bad guy, because in this kind of setting, CM basically replaces an entire Avengers Team.

I think people are overestimating Carol's powers if they rate her as 'unstoppable like the Hulk'.

Carol has a wider range of powers than most Avengers - flight, super-strength, energy blasts, damage resistance, and more - but she's one person. There's only so much she can do. She's no different than Tony, really. Good writers will always make that work. 

On 1/6/2019 at 3:27 PM, mormont said:

Snip

Hmm, not sure I agree with the race part of this well thought out argument.

I wasn't keen on Shuri when I first watched Black Panther, and I wasn't sure why.  Subsequently I realise what I'm not keen on is the Shuri/T'Challa relationship (though I think I will like it in time) - it just doesn't work for me at the moment.  I like her with Bucky; I like her when she's compassionate and mature.  I didn't like her quip at Bruce over how Vision was created: he should have shot back that there were time constraints and impending threats so they didn't have the luxury of considering all the options!  One of my favourite Shuri moments is when she shows such thoughtful caring and sympathy for Wanda and Cap over Vision in Infinity War.  I really want to see her interact with Peter Parker - two child geniuses from very different backgrounds -  and Rocket, a fellow tech genius (he would love to pick her brains about Wakandan weapons!).  I would like to see her and Tony interact too - I think they would get on well.

I can see Shuri moving to the Avengers complex and creating new tech for them, kind of like Tony.  I map T'Challa more on to Thor, and latterly Cap because of his calm, charismatic leadership and power set (although I think Carol will take on Cap's Avengers leadership role).  

Archived