MCUniverse- Captain Marvel Rises!

A True Kaniggit

I assumed Marvel’s plan was for them to boost each other, not harm each other. The ending of IW meant anyone on the fence about Captain Marvel realised it might be important, so are more likely to see it. Plus, there’s a pretty strong chance the ending of Captain Marvel (one of them, anyway) will allude to Endgame in some way, I assume giving all the audience a good reason to see Endgame (if they didn’t have one already ... seriously who are these people?).

It's more likely people would forego Captain marvel if budget prevents them seeing both. Even people with tight budgets are likely to plan ahead and have money for both.

If Marvel are canny they'll avoid making infinity war trailers look like "captain marvel 2" on the off chance her debut film is a disaster. But they handled this well with black panther in infinity war trailers so don't see them slipping up.

Tbh i'd rather have no trailers with her in endgsme until her film is out and that film ends with her answering fury's call. Otherwise the trailers are spoiling a cliffhanger in much the same way including any dusted characters in the trailer would

9 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Anybody think the small gap between Caotain Marvel and Endgame hurts the latter's box office? 

It didn't hurt Black Panther and Avengers; if anything, it made people want to see the latter more so they got more Wakanda. 

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

At or post Golden Globes, Kevin Feige said that the Endgame trailers will only have stuff from the first 15-20 minutes of the movie. https://deadline.com/2019/01/marvels-kevin-feige-avengers-endgame-guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-james-gunn-silver-surfer-adam-mckay-1202530731/

In fairness to them they did a good job of not spilling any beans regarding infinities ending so I'd be surprised for them to drop the ball now. Good to have confirmation though.

33 minutes ago, red snow said:

In fairness to them they did a good job of not spilling any beans regarding infinities ending so I'd be surprised for them to drop the ball now. Good to have confirmation though.

And just as you say this, headlines are dropping that Sam Jackson managed to spoil something about Cap Marvel in connection to Endgame. :P

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

At or post Golden Globes, Kevin Feige said that the Endgame trailers will only have stuff from the first 15-20 minutes of the movie.

Excellent; I've always thought that would be a good policy for trailers in general (not necessarily just the first 20 minutes, which wouldn't work for all films, but there shouldn't be anything from the second half of any film in its trailers).

I know we’ve discussed it plenty ... but I still don’t understand why they’d wanna reboot this thing. It’s fucking great, it’s making a fuckton of money, and they’ve got the art of introducing new heroes down to a T. In fact, as came up in the DC thread, it seems like new heroes fare better than established ones. Where is the  incentive to reboot? So they can have another Cap or Iron Man? Who the fuck wants either of those jobs? Plus, 10 years ago, I thought Cap was a douchy patriotic comic I’d never read, and Iron Man was a Black Sabbath song. They built this thing on their shoulders, and they could absolutely build future phases around other people. I say give it the Doctor Who treatment; keep going forever.

12 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I know we’ve discussed it plenty ... but I still don’t understand why they’d wanna reboot this thing. It’s fucking great, it’s making a fuckton of money, and they’ve got the art of introducing new heroes down to a T. In fact, as came up in the DC thread, it seems like new heroes fare better than established ones. Where is the  incentive to reboot? So they can have another Cap or Iron Man? Who the fuck wants either of those jobs? Plus, 10 years ago, I thought Cap was a douchy patriotic comic I’d never read, and Iron Man was a Black Sabbath song. They built this thing on their shoulders, and they could absolutely build future phases around other people. I say give it the Doctor Who treatment; keep going forever.

Yeah I don't know if Reboot is the right word, but they will be 'refreshing' the franchise with new sets of heroes no doubt. 

4 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Maybe he meant soft reboot? I actually hate how loose the term reboot is thrown around now. I here people refer to the new Star Wars trilogy as a reboot and it drives me bonkers.

I'm sure, like the new Star Wars trilogy, they will end up simply recycling a bunch of old shit they'd done before, repackaging and making everyone think its new and shiny.. except its worse. Hopefully that isn't what they do.

On 1/9/2019 at 10:22 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Maybe he meant soft reboot? I actually hate how loose the term reboot is thrown around now. I here people refer to the new Star Wars trilogy as a reboot and it drives me bonkers.

I always get confused between "remake" vs "reboot". I used to feel like a reboot was just a fresh take on a property eg new creators but the continuity was maintained. However it does seem to suggest a new continuity in most cases 

Regarding the MCU i don't see them abandoning their established continuity any time soon. Why lose that interconnected franchise that gets people checking out ant man and doctor strange because of their connection with the original avengers? I don't even think a reboot is required even for when actors leave eg RDJR and chris Evans. Shelve the characters (preferably with a reason attached in the films). Leave them for 5+ years. Then bring the character/franchise back with a new actor. They could just recast straight away but that's giving the new actor quite a challenge and i think the MCU will be healthier from variety of new projects. They don't even need to reboot for the X-Men and fantastic four - they simply have these characters debut. The FF can still have their origin as later arrivals to the MCU. Mutants could have been highly secretive or only just hitting a population explosion.

The MCU will have to endure several flops in a row before restarting the whole thing is considered. I don't think they've had one yet as even ant-man and wasp performed within expectations (no one is expecting  it to do avengers numbers).

It will be interesting to see what standard they expect captain marvel to hit given hiw successful black panther's film was (although he had civil war as a lead in). I'm guessing it's somewhere between ant-man/ dr strange and black panther. I'd be surprised if it hits black panther levels but who knows. Another good comparison will be against wonder woman which is already a triumph if the MCU brand that the two heroes would be comparable. It's like wondering whether vision could do as well as superman.

4 minutes ago, red snow said:

I always get confused between "remake" vs "reboot". I used to feel like a reboot was just a fresh take on a property eg new creators but the continuity was maintained. However it does seem to suggest a new continuity in most cases 

I'd say remake is more associated with stand-alone movies. Total Recall with Colin Farrell was a remake, imo. Sony and then Marvel Studios doing what they did with Spider-Man was a reboot. 

14 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I'd say remake is more associated with stand-alone movies. Total Recall with Colin Farrell was a remake, imo. Sony and then Marvel Studios doing what they did with Spider-Man was a reboot. 

But in both cases the previous continuity is abandoned (or duplicated which means the previous continuity has still been jettisoned). I think the continuity is the key aspect. 

They could do an avengers where each member is new/or at least new avengers and this would feel like an attempt to freshen up the franchise but would still acknowledge cap, iron man and co had their adventures first 

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Regarding the MCU i don't see them abandoning their established continuity any time soon. Why lose that interconnected franchise that gets people checking out ant man and doctor strange because of their connection with the original avengers? I don't even think a reboot is required even for when actors leave eg RDJR and chris Evans. Shelve the characters (preferably with a reason attached in the films). Leave them for 5+ years. Then bring the character/franchise back with a new actor. They could just recast straight away but that's giving the new actor quite a challenge and i think the MCU will be healthier from variety of new projects. They don't even need to reboot for the X-Men and fantastic four - they simply have these characters debut. The FF can still have their origin as later arrivals to the MCU. Mutants could have been highly secretive or only just hitting a population explosion.

I don't think re-casting would work - unless there was some sort of clone/youthing explanation in the current continuity.  We're not ready for anyone else to be Steve Rogers or Tony Stark :crying:  I'm not sure I ever will be!

I think the new Avengers can stand on their own.  They have a great new crop of characters to make up the new team.  Replacing Steve Rogers will be difficult, but maybe Carol can do that ...?

Or they could use legacy characters.  Bring in Bucky-as-Cap, Riri, Miles, Kamala etc.

And that's just the Avengers.  The MCU is going to expand massively over the coming years with the Fox characters, the Eternals and who knows what else.

Reboots are usually associated with entire franchises rather than an individual movie. 

Marvel have got so much room for manoeuvre for their next movies I don't think there is any real need to 'reboot' any of their existing heroes. Going back to what I was saying in the DC thread, I don't think they will simply rely on fan knowledge of individual heroes to sell movies, more the potential for what type of movie they can make with a certain property. 

I mean they could reboot anyone, like 'the new Iron Man'.. but what is the point if you can get even more value and story out of a lesser known Marvel hero. 

Archived