MCUniverse- Captain Marvel Rises!

A True Kaniggit

I'm reminded of the movie Pootie Tang where it ends with Bob Costas saying... "Wow, that was a long clip."

Jesus, if this is the "teaser" what's left for the trailer????

26 minutes ago, briantw said:

I wonder if they'll have him frame Spider-Man as a criminal at some point in the movie.  I believe Mysterio did that in the comics a few times.

Pretty sure it was in the comics or one of the cartoons (possibly combinations) where Mysterio tried to accuse Spider-man of faking his showdowns and he did this by pretending to be Spider-man.

I'll be honest, I've never been that impressed with mysterio as a villain (but those who do like him seem to love him). The main thing going for him in the film is simply the fact it's Jake Gylenhaal playing him and he hasn't been in a bad film since the last time he tried playing an action hero. But that's been a while and I'm hoping he's learned his lessons. A fake/flawed hero would suit him well - that said he can also do insane convincingly too eg nightcrawler.

I read somewhere that those elemental villains are actually tied in with mysterio in the comics albeit via some genuine magic (which is the worst angle to take with mysterio). We might get some meta-commentary if the big SFX villains turn out to be fake - I'd get a good laugh at hordes of faceless cgi minions being a piss-take element of the plot. 

23 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Jesus, if this is the "teaser" what's left for the trailer????

Seriously.

It like to know what the hell kind of "school trip" / summer vacation entails most of the class touring Europe?  Apparently I should have went to high school in Queens.  Also, I literally lol'd when Gyllenhaal emerged in that cape.  Gonna take me awhile to get on board with that.

Is anyone else getting tired of the ‘music builds toward the title reveal - drops out for a comedy line - last few stabs of the music’ thing that all trailers do nowadays? Not sure why I really hate that. Like some PR guy is saying ‘but hey look: it has comedy too!’

34 minutes ago, red snow said:

Pretty sure it was in the comics or one of the cartoons (possibly combinations) where Mysterio tried to accuse Spider-man of faking his showdowns and he did this by pretending to be Spider-man.

I'll be honest, I've never been that impressed with mysterio as a villain (but those who do like him seem to love him). The main thing going for him in the film is simply the fact it's Jake Gylenhaal playing him and he hasn't been in a bad film since the last time he tried playing an action hero. But that's been a while and I'm hoping he's learned his lessons. A fake/flawed hero would suit him well - that said he can also do insane convincingly too eg nightcrawler.

I read somewhere that those elemental villains are actually tied in with mysterio in the comics albeit via some genuine magic (which is the worst angle to take with mysterio). We might get some meta-commentary if the big SFX villains turn out to be fake - I'd get a good laugh at hordes of faceless cgi minions being a piss-take element of the plot. 

Mysterio has always been a B villain to me.  

I did really like the Daredevil story where he tries to make Daredevil lose his mind by tricking him into thinking a baby he finds is the anti-Christ.  Other than that, there's not too much I really even remember of him from the comics I've read.  I know he's appeared from time to time, but it's hard for me to recall much.  I do think the story they're telling in Far From Home is similar to the Mysterio story from Ultimate Spider-Man, but it's been years since I read those so it's possible I am incorrectly remembering them.

7 hours ago, mormont said:

Also, international version, slightly different. 

They can't say "dickwad" in an international trailer? I was surprised they put dickwad in the script for this movie. I don't remember Flash being quite that vulgar in the first movie. At least penis is the anatomically correct term.

Unlike many a jaded soul here I loved the trailer.

Some conspiracy theorists on the internets reckon Fury might be part of the illusion.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Seriously.

It like to know what the hell kind of "school trip" / summer vacation entails most of the class touring Europe?  Apparently I should have went to high school in Queens.  Also, I literally lol'd when Gyllenhaal emerged in that cape.  Gonna take me awhile to get on board with that.

He's in a very high end academy type school though, not an average comprehensive.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Seriously.

It looks like it's mostly just the team of top students from the last movie again, except for the girl that left. 

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Seriously.

For what it's worth, my rural, podunk high school did have school-sponsored trips to South America back in the late 90's when I was a student.  I did not get to go because I was, you know, poor but it was a thing so I can certainly believe that a more upper-class school would be able to do trips to Europe instead.

Man I didn't think I'd get such serious pushback from a smartass joke.  I went to a pretty damn good school - although it was public.  We had trips - to Quebec, DC, Gettysburg, and Cape Cod.  Never heard of any overseas trip, including from friends at both of the private schools in my area.

5 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Is anyone else getting tired of the ‘music builds toward the title reveal - drops out for a comedy line - last few stabs of the music’ thing that all trailers do nowadays? Not sure why I really hate that. Like some PR guy is saying ‘but hey look: it has comedy too!’

Beats the inception music.

Hmm...so is this supposed to be set before Infinity War?  Why bother with that if Endgame will be out before this movie anyway.  So...I guess they're just saying screw it, everyone knows we're going to undo Spiderman's death anyway, so might as well just show a full on a trailer?

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Man I didn't think I'd get such serious pushback from a smartass joke.  I went to a pretty damn good school - although it was public.  We had trips - to Quebec, DC, Gettysburg, and Cape Cod.  Never heard of any overseas trip, including from friends at both of the private schools in my area.

How dare you not fully think through the ramifications of your knee jerk joke! You, sir, are banned from the internet henceforth!

13 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

Hmm...so is this supposed to be set before Infinity War?  Why bother with that if Endgame will be out before this movie anyway.  So...I guess they're just saying screw it, everyone knows we're going to undo Spiderman's death anyway, so might as well just show a full on a trailer?

Spoiler for Far From Home

Spoiler

It actually takes place inside the Soulstone

6 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

It’s set after EndGame. It’s possible Feige is lying about that but I find that unlikely.

Lies. That was actually Kathleen Kennedy pretending to be Kevin Feige.

Didn't you hear? She's trying to ruin the MCU now too.

4 hours ago, HokieStone said:

I mean, there's a Spider-Man movie coming out. It's sort of a given that Spider-Man is going to be in it.

On 1/16/2019 at 11:14 AM, DMC said:

Seriously.

I think it's a sign of age. Back in my day we were fortunate to get a school trip outside of the Island. Though my sister did go on a French class trip to New Caledonia, so it wasn't unheard of in my day. My first son went to Japan with his Japanese language class. My second son went to Europe with his classical studies class. This is at a public school. Both trips were for 3 weeks.

On 1/16/2019 at 9:15 AM, mormont said:

I mean, there's a Spider-Man movie coming out. It's sort of a given that Spider-Man is going to be in it.

I agree. It's not like marvel/sony could shelve all their projects until endgame was released. 

What would be bad form was if spidey narrates the trailer saying "so, crazy year, i was dead for a while until the original avengers brought me back by (insert solution) now i have to live up to the sacrifice that (insert original avenger(s) ) made". 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived