MCUniverse- Captain Marvel Rises!

A True Kaniggit

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Assuming Endgame turns out to be at least as good as the top 3/4 MCU movies. What are the chances that it gets nominated for (and possibly wins) Best Picture for the 2020 Oscars. This MCU venture is unprecedented in cinema history (including that it crossed over into multiple TV series), so the Academy kind of has to recognise it in some fashion, other than throwing it the occasional technical award. Perhaps it's more appropriate to recognise this sort of achievement with one of those lifetime achievement awards. But who to award? Kevin Feige? The MCU has been a monumental and astonishingly successful (critically and financially) undertaking. And what's going down with the DCEU at the moment shows that it's not so easy to do.

Don't the Oscars now have some kind of "Best Popular Movie" award?  Seems like it might be a shoe-in for that....

ETA:  Apparently the "Outstanding achievement in popular film" was supposed to debut this year, but was postponed, due to some criticism of having that award in the first place.  Black Panther is nominated for Best Picture this year.

17 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

First world problem.... it seems like forever since we've had an MCU flick... I need a fix....lol.... Captain Marvel can't get here fast enough.

Indeed, squeezing 3 movies into the first half of the year was an exciting rush, AND Thor late in 2017, worked out to pretty much be an MCU movie every 2 months. But then brings on withdrawal having nothing for 9 months. 

8 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Indeed, squeezing 3 movies into the first half of the year was an exciting rush, AND Thor late in 2017, worked out to pretty much be an MCU movie every 2 months. But then brings on withdrawal having nothing for 9 months. 

Yeah. Someone really snapped up over there.

Whoa.  This movie comes out and then the next movie comes out,   Like super fast on the heels of carol's movie.  Like faster than usual.   boom and then boom again.  Double barrel carol.   To reiterate: whoa.   Almost as if Endgame is being rude.  Pushy, like Thanos, who is a total butt.  Like an anti anti anti hero.   Disney won't have her fly up Thanos' butt for real, that's why we need a separate Deadpool series where stuff like that happens and the avengers can do guest spots.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Early Twitter reactions to Captain Marvel have been pretty positive. Many of them referencing how "weird" the movie is, but as a positive. Very intrigued.

Interesting. I just booked my ticket, which reminded me that when Force Awakens came out, I was able to set up email notifications the minute they came on sale. UK people: anyone know any cinemas that do that now? I can’t for the life of me remember how I did that. I’ve taken the day off for Avengers and I’ll be sincerely pissed off if I have to settle for a shit seat. I’ve signed up for Vue Insider which sends one out about the forthcoming films that week, but I don’t really wanna go to the Vue. I signed up to the Showcase emails but didnt get one about Captain Marvel, which isn’t promising.

25 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Interesting. I just booked my ticket, which reminded me that when Force Awakens came out, I was able to set up email notifications the minute they came on sale. UK people: anyone know any cinemas that do that now? I can’t for the life of me remember how I did that. I’ve taken the day off for Avengers and I’ll be sincerely pissed off if I have to settle for a shit seat. I’ve signed up for Vue Insider which sends one out about the forthcoming films that week, but I don’t really wanna go to the Vue. I signed up to the Showcase emails but didnt get one about Captain Marvel, which isn’t promising.

I don't think I've ever been to the cinema in the UK and not had pretty much every seat to pick from. Especially if you have taken the day off. Nobody goes to the cinema during the day except if it's the school holidays? 

I never watched any, but for some reason youtube occasionally throws mysogynist dicks at me who just days before the social media review embargo lifted were posting videos about how SJWs have ruined Captain Marvel. Brie Larsen is destroying Marvel because of her feminist demands etc etc. So glad those trolls look like they've trolled themselves.

10 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I never watched any, but for some reason youtube occasionally throws mysogynist dicks at me who just days before the social media review embargo lifted were posting videos about how SJWs have ruined Captain Marvel. Brie Larsen is destroying Marvel because of her feminist demands etc etc. So glad those trolls look like they've trolled themselves.

Yeah there's been some, uh, right wing um, reactions to this that have been pretty funny.

2 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah there's been some, uh, right wing um, reactions to this that have been pretty funny.

They seem to have gotten rather snowflaky about how Brie Larsen said she didn't want her press tour to be dominated by being interviewed by white dudes. I'd say that's inflammatory only if it's not typically white dudes that do almost all the interviewing. But if it is almost all white dudes, then its a pretty fair demand.

Apparently the cat is a big star. As a dog person I feel I need to start a petition to demand that we get some cool dog action into the MCU to be fair and balanced. I'm not speciesist or anything, but it's a science fact that dogs have higher IQs than cats, and its genetic. I hate how SFWs are infiltrating Hollywood like this.

If the PR department is worried this movie may not have automatic relevance the way Wonder Woman did, they'd want the star to wade into the equality struggle somehow to remind people we haven't totally arrived yet and could still use a mythological champion on national women's day.   Reaching out to the non-superhero-movie-going crowd who may buy tickets to show team pride?  Politely sending up some signal flares of solidarity as ya make money for the mouse.  Maybe even hint that the movie's earnings will be funneled into Minnie's separate account that Micky doesn't know about.   That's good stuff.  If I was Disney, I'd actually use that.  Make a lil cartoon about it and everything.

Is it wrong that the only thing I'm honestly looking forward to in this film is the post credit scene that will possibly connect to End Game?

I mean most prequels suffer from this problem, but usually the stakes aren't this big, but by simply taking place in the 90's we know the invasion fails without any major sacrifices or consequences for the people of Earth and no one major dies, aside from characters just introduced in this film. I mean at most, we'll get a character in a post credit scene taking place in modern time revealed to be a skrull, but it wont be anyone major to the MCU.........................if they want to go completely cliche it will be the president of the U.S..

A wise man once told me that action without consequence is just loud noise and that's what I worry this film will be.

I remember being more excited about Wonder Woman to be honest, just because I hated every DCEU film at that point and was pleasantly supersized when it was getting good reviews.

32 minutes ago, sifth said:

Is it wrong that the only thing I'm honestly looking forward to in this film is the post credit scene that will possibly connect to End Game?

I mean most prequels suffer from this problem, but usually the stakes aren't this big, but by simply taking place in the 90's we know the invasion fails without any major sacrifices or consequences for the people of Earth and no one major dies, aside from characters just introduced in this film. I mean at most, we'll get a character in a post credit scene taking place in modern time revealed to be a skrull, but it wont be anyone major to the MCU.........................if they want to go completely cliche it will be the president of the U.S..

A wise man once told me that action without consequence is just loud noise and that's what I worry this film will be.

I remember being more excited about Wonder Woman to be honest, just because I hated every DCEU film at that point and was pleasantly supersized when it was getting good reviews.

Do we know the SECRET invasion fails? I'm more inclined to think that there's still a bunch o' Skrulls running around Earth in 2018/19, and we might just find out who some of them are in Endgame. I can imagine a Skrull that gets dusted in human form, when it comes back it appears in Skrull form.

It's likely that Secret Invasion succeeds, with the intention that the overt invasion was always intended to appear to fail.

Why wouldn't anyone major in the MCU be a skrull? Anyone who doesn't have superpowers could be a Skrull. Falcon, Widow, Hawkeye, Stark, Pepper, Maria Hill, Sharon Carter, Everett Ross, Nakia.

I don't want to put too much expectation into the movie, but I can't imagine the Skrulls being of no consequence in Endgame. Which means a movie that establishes them in the MCU, and establishes them on earth, as a threat to humanity, is actually pivotal for Endgame.

Archived