MCUniverse- Captain Marvel Rises!

A True Kaniggit

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Wha?  My attention was certainly divided when I "watched" BvS, don't remember any allusion to a Robin, nor him being killed.  When'd that happen?

There's a Robin uniform with joker graffiti as part of his stuff in the batcave. The thought is that it was the Jason Todd Robin, as the message was iirc the same. 

Just now, Heartofice said:

His suit is on display , torn up to show he was killed, think it had been graffiti’d , the assumption it was by the Joker, and that explains Batman’s bad temper 

Ah.  Huh, sorry I must have missed that part.  Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

The thought is that it was the Jason Todd Robin, as the message was iirc the same. 

Gotcha, sounds cool. 

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

I’m not usually a fan of these Easter Eggs, but this at least added some depth to the character

Yeah I almost want to rewatch it just to see that.  I missed the best part of that damnable movie!

23 minutes ago, DMC said:

Wha?  My attention was certainly divided when I "watched" BvS, don't remember any allusion to a Robin, nor him being killed.  When'd that happen?

It actually goes even deeper that that - there's an excellent fan theory that Leto Joker is the Jason Todd that was "killed". That's why he's got "damaged" tattoos and new teeth etc. It also neatly explains how they are doing a Joker origin film with an actor who looks nothing like Jared Leto. Because the Joker in suicide squad is a different joker. They claim this new film is a stand-alone but I'd be cool with them keeping it in continuity - it could make a good story for the Batman film if that ever happens showing us how Jason Todd dies (or at least the character in the Robin suit that was in BvS cave

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I thought so but all the DC movies just kind of blend together in my head.

Also comes up in SS iirc. I think it’s on Harley Quinn’s criminal record that pops up in that stupid “wait this is still a movie?” sequence

5 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Also comes up in SS iirc. I think it’s on Harley Quinn’s criminal record that pops up in that stupid “wait this is still a movie?” sequence

All I really remember from Suicide Squad is watching it and thinking that they should have just made a live action version of that Assault on Arkham cartoon from about five years ago.  That was a really fun Suicide Squad movie that they could have just fleshed out a bit, and the job they sent the SS was actually the type of job you'd send a team like that on, not the "save the world from the evil sky-beam" job they actually went on.  Sky-beams are really more of an Avenger type of deal.

I just read an article somewhere and I think perhaps another reason that the MCU has had more success than DC is that DC have had the baggage, clutter or expectations of many previous Superman and Batman movies. There's a mixture of fatigue, bad press from previous bad incarnations (Batman Forever?) but also weighed down by expectations of what previously good incarnations were like. 

Marvel really only had Spiderman that they had to reboot, so they were able to build things from scratch without any expectations from previous incarnations to weigh them down.

I find it hard to believe a Batman movie from 20 years ago is affecting the DC movie verse.

Also... Batman Forever wasn’t bad, it was Batman and Robin that killed the franchise and robbed us of another Clooney outing in Batman Triumphant.

The thing, I think, about MCU vs DCU is that it's a comic book rivalry that has unnecessarily translated across to movies. I can understand comic book publishers wanting to claim as big a share of the comic book reader market because people will tend to only have a comic book budget for one or the other. But aside from Marvel releasing 3 movies per year only in the last couple of years, there is typically enough money in everyone's movie budget to see every DC movie and every Marvel movie, so long as they are good movies. It's certainly been the case for me. The only reason I don't go to see a comic book movie in theatres is because it's a crap movie.

WB might have wanted to fast track the DCEU because they were worried that the comic book fad would end before they got a decent slice of it. So FOMO might have been a factor. But I think the fact that superhero movies have had a decent popular culture audience for decades suggest there's unlikely to be any "too late to the party" problem for the foreseeable future. Audiences might eventually get sick of the MCU, but there will always be space for superhero movies.

5 hours ago, Jeor said:

I just read an article somewhere and I think perhaps another reason that the MCU has had more success than DC is that DC have had the baggage, clutter or expectations of many previous Superman and Batman movies. There's a mixture of fatigue, bad press from previous bad incarnations (Batman Forever?) but also weighed down by expectations of what previously good incarnations were like. 

Marvel really only had Spiderman that they had to reboot, so they were able to build things from scratch without any expectations from previous incarnations to weigh them down.

Maybe, but then the Marvel movies have seemingly been far more faithful to the comics than any DC property. What I think makes the MCU standout is that it seems to have real faith in its heroes and the comics. It doesn't feel the need to make their heroes dress up in cool outfits because superhero costumes might look silly, and it doesn't try and modernise or update to fit commercial needs in the way that a lot the Sony properties have. 

21 hours ago, Rhom said:

I find it hard to believe a Batman movie from 20 years ago is affecting the DC movie verse.

Yeah if anything, Nolan's trilogy earned DC some good faith with the public.  That's how I remember it going into Man of Steel.  Of course, then the public saw Man of Steel.

57 minutes ago, DMC said:

Of course, then the public saw Man of Steel.

And then they went to see BvS in even greater numbers. We don't like some of them much (well, I like Man of Steel but...) but they make plenty of money. This take for example:

22 hours ago, Jeor said:

just doesn't really make sense because way more people went to see the first four DCEU films than the first four Marvel films. Batman vs Superman in particular clearly drew people on the strength of the two names. Sure, Marvel had a fresh slate to build with but they did have to build it, and that took time. Justice League failed miserably but that was on the back of BvS and its own bad hype, not baggage from previous versions of DC movies.

30 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

just doesn't really make sense because way more people went to see the first four DCEU films than the first four Marvel films. Batman vs Superman in particular clearly drew people on the strength of the two names. Sure, Marvel had a fresh slate to build with but they did have to build it, and that took time. Justice League failed miserably but that was on the back of BvS and its own bad hype, not baggage from previous versions of DC movies.

I know you're kind of correct, but it'll never be not weird to hear that a movie that made $650m 'failed miserably'. 

59 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

And then they went to see BvS in even greater numbers.

Considering the title is the two most popular superheroes ever, BvS clearly underperformed domestically - which, granted, it made up for worldwide.  And it's lack of legs/huge drop-off indicates the public rejected it.

Archived