Varys appreciation thread

Daendrew

All hail the cockless wonder, Lord Varys "The Spider".

What do you like best about Varys? He is so cunning and mysterious. What are your favorite Varys quotes?

I think Varys' voice as performed by Roy Dotrice is pitch perfect.

Eddard: Tell me, Lord Varys, who do you truly serve?

Varys: Why, the realm, my good lord, how ever could you doubt that? I swear it by my lost manhood. I serve the realm, and the realm needs peace.

Too soon, too soon," the voice with the accent complained.  "What good is war now?  We are not ready.  Delay."

"As well bid me stop time.  Do you take me for a wizard?"

The other chuckled.  "No less."  

"What would you have me do"

"If one Hand can die, why not a second?  You have danced the dance before, my friend."

"Before is not now, and this Hand is not the other."

"Perhaps so.  Nonetheless, we must have time.  The princess is with child.  The khal will not bestir himself until his son is born." 

They were plotting to kill Ned Stark.  And the first dance?  Who did Varys kill?

11 minutes ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

They were plotting to kill Ned Stark.  And the first dance?  Who did Varys kill?

Re: "If one Hand can die, why not a second?" Jon Connington "died" and was whisked away by Varys and Illyrio. They explored getting Ned on their side. Not an actual murder. GRRM is such a genius. He wanted us to think they killed Jon Arryn.

6 minutes ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Two references, they might be talking about both at the same time, IMHO:

a) They are talking about the murder on Jon Arryn - although this wasn't Varys' doing, the cheesemonger is pointing out that it can happen again

b) From the little we know from Jaime's POV, Varys was fuelling Aerys' paranoia. Maybe his whispers were responsible for one or the other burning and Aerys not listening to his other advisers?

1 hour ago, Daendrew said:

I think Varys' voice as performed by Roy Dotrice is pitch perfect.

You are absolutely right. I think Roy's performance of Varys was either my favourite, or second favourite. 

My favourite Varys moment has to be the ADwD epilogue, where he kills Pycelle and Kevan, along with telling us his plan. 

Great character but anyone who actually believes he serves “the Realm” is fooling themselves. He deliberately prolongs Cersei’s rule so she causes more chaos and death. He serves his own interests like everyone else seems to

• 4 weeks later...

I am also biggotted against Kevan, which is why Varys makes me uncomfortable too.  And I like how he keeps things breezy with his attire, like their local Hef only without the quid pro quo sex stuff that usually results from wearing robes to work.  And he seems to work only in short bursts every 12 years or so in his primary profession as a human stasher.  Then back to another decade of gossip.  Kind of like us on here.

• 1 month later...

Tyrion's second chapter in A Storm of Swords has some of my favorite Varys moments in the entire series. 

"...and that bed...is it actually made of stone, or does it only feel that way?" 

Varys closed the door and barred it. "I am plagued with backaches, my lord, and prefer to sleep upon a hard surface." 

"I would have taken you for a featherbed man." 

"I am full or surprises." 

"I have such a delicate disposition, and your scar is so dreadful to look upon..." He gave an exaggerated shudder. "Your poor nose..." 

"I want you to bring me Shae." 

Varys took a drink. "Is that wise, my lord? The dear sweet child. It would be such a shame if your father hanged her." 

Seven hells, thought Tyrion. "Are you suggesting that Cersei's fucking Osmund Kettleblack?" 

"Oh, dear me, no, that would be dreadfully dangerous, don't you think? No, the queen only hints...perhaps on the morrow, or when the wedding's done...and then a smile, a whisper, a ribald jest...a breast brushing lightly against his sleeve as they pass...and yet it seems to serve. But what would a eunuch know of such things?" The tip of his tongue ran across his lower lip like a shy pink animal. 

"And my father? Who does he have spying on me?" 

This time the eunuch laughed aloud. "Why, me, my lord." 

And of course, this chapter has the greatest Varys moment of all time. 

"Varys?" Tyrion slipped inside. "Are you there?" A single candle lit the gloom, spicing the air with the scent of jasmine. 

"My lord." A woman sidled into the light; plump, soft, matronly, with a round pink moon of a face and heavy dark curls. Tyrion recoiled. "Is something amiss?" she asked. 

Varys, he realized with annoyance. 

Lady Varys is one of my top 5 moments in the entire series, seriously. 

Archived