Stygai , city of the Night

Gerold the Great

1 hour ago, Gerold the Great said:

Stygai , city of Night , Martin's version of Minas Morgul or even Barad dur , dreadful place full of demons and dragons and other dark creatures , a place where even shadowbinders are afraid to go , hell on this earth , the place of uttermost horror and dread. What can we say about it ??

It sounds to me like it is much more of an homage to Robert E. Howard's Stygia than anything Tolkien did. Even the description is similar.

30 minutes ago, Gerold the Great said:

Fine , but what about dragons , does that mean that they were not dead all this time and does that mean that they are some form of evil ??

The Valyrians claim that the dragons came from the Fourteen Flames, whilst people from Asshai say that they originated from the Shadow Lands and where given to the Valyrians. 

I don't see the dragons as evil. I see the people using the dragons as evil. If the dragons did originate from the Shadow Lands, we have no idea what these people did with them, but the Valyrians used them to do despicable shit. 

30 minutes ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

The Valyrians claim that the dragons came from the Fourteen Flames, whilst people from Asshai say that they originated from the Shadow Lands and where given to the Valyrians. 

I don't see the dragons as evil. I see the people using the dragons as evil. If the dragons did originate from the Shadow Lands, we have no idea what these people did with them, but the Valyrians used them to do despicable shit. 

I agree that people who use dragons are evil but I doubt that people from Asshai are much better , that is a city of witchcraft and other dreadful things and they probably used them in sorcery or maybe they gave them to Valyrians because that was perhaps some sort of experiment to see what damage they can make ( I mean Melisandre is from Asshai and followers of Red Good are numerous there so perhaps dragons could be their tools in "purifying the siners"). 

3 minutes ago, Gerold the Great said:

I agree that people who use dragons are evil but I doubt that people from Asshai are much better , that is a city of witchcraft and other dreadful things and they probably used them in sorcery or maybe they gave them to Valyrians because that was perhaps some sort of experiment to see what damage they can make ( I mean Melisandre is from Asshai and followers of Red Good are numerous there so perhaps dragons could be their tools in "purifying the siners"). 

I'm sure the people from the Shadow Lands didn't use them for the good of humanity or anything, but since we don't know what they did with them, I don't want to say that they used them for evil. I could see them giving them to the Valyrians, then sitting back and watching what they do with them. That way if something goes wrong they wouldn't have risked their own people.   

28 minutes ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

Both statements could be correct - that Valyrian dragons hatched near Fourteen Flames, and that they were given to Valyrians by ancestors of Asshai's people.

For example, if the Shadow is actually a giant space ship, that was carrying dragons from some other planet, and crashed near Planetos, causing dragons to escape from broken ship to the surface of the nearest planet, and people/aliens from that ship, that were original masters/breeders/creators of those dragons, came together with them to Asshai. Then happened First Long Night. Azor Ahai was a citizen of Asshai, but when he has defeated the Others in Essos, he and his people migrated west from Asshai to Valyrian peninsula (and later from there to Dorne, where AA possibly has build Starfall). And when they were leaving Asshai, they took with them 40 dragon eggs. When they were passing by Fourteen Flames in Valyria, which created favourable conditions for the hatching, those 40 eggs has hatched, and their owners became 40 great dragonlord families of Valyria. So the eggs are from Asshai, but the dragons, that has hatched out of them, were Valyrian. Obviously, that all of this is just a speculation, but it could be correct.

3 minutes ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

I'm sure the people from the Shadow Lands didn't use them for the good of humanity or anything, but since we don't know what they did with them, I don't want to say that they used them for evil. I could see them giving them to the Valyrians, then sitting back and watching what they do with them. That way if something goes wrong they wouldn't have risked their own people.   

I agree , that was my opinion as well. 

Maybe we will even see Melisandre in future performing some "fire spells" to fight WW. 

3 hours ago, Gerold the Great said:

Stygai , city of Night , Martin's version of Minas Morgul or even Barad dur , dreadful place full of demons and dragons and other dark creatures , a place where even shadowbinders are afraid to go , hell on this earth , the place of uttermost horror and dread.  What can we say about it?

Its not a cool place to go with the family. And Barad-dûr is a tower, not a city.

4 hours ago, Gerold the Great said:

Stygai , city of Night , Martin's version of Minas Morgul or even Barad dur , dreadful place full of demons and dragons and other dark creatures , a place where even shadowbinders are afraid to go , hell on this earth , the place of uttermost horror and dread. What can we say about it ??

Nothing. it is a nod to other writers but we will never see it or have any characters go there

10 hours ago, Gerold the Great said:

Nobody really knows what is in Stygai.  Could be werewolves and Stark ancestors for all we know.  Probably inspired by the mythological Styx.

Dragons were everywhere thousands of years ago.  Stygai and other remote places will be the only place where they still exists in the wild.  Even so, what is written about places like that cannot be relied upon.  The high value placed on dragon eggs would surely draw many fortune hunters to the area.   In my opinion, Daenerys Targaryen's three dragons are the only ones in the world.

On 1/6/2019 at 2:28 PM, Gerold the Great said:

Not much, but I bet it's got an equal and opposite somewhere - somewhere inhabited by beautiful sky gods, light and bright and high up (Stygai is low down or in a pit or something, isn't it? I will scream if it isn't.)

Of course, both places would have to be equally appalling. I wonder if the purpose of Stygai is to tell us something about the heart of winter, by the simple method of just reversing everything.

It's a far flung destination shrouded in mystery, It's name is more of a homage than anything. But it's nice to have these places exist in the world. Even if we'll never explore them. I think the author has the intention of letting the reader believe whatever they like to believe as it's of no consequence what so ever.

My opinion is that the fabled city has experienced some runaway effect with magic. Reckless practices, or even sabotage has rendered the place inhabitable, and I think it's part of a sequence of 'dooms' that befell Planetos. I think it all equates to 'stuff we don't want to happen to Westeros'. It's the fear factor; The knowledge that other and arguably greater kingdoms and cities fell, makes the demise of Westeros a very real threat. 

Archived