Sign in to follow this  
Mwm

Can you recommend any book series where the characters are as amazing as ASOIAF?

Posted (edited)

I’ve read somewhere along the lines of four hundred books and have yet to come across characters as interesting as ASOIAF...

Edited by Mwm

Opinions vary.  I’d not rate ASOIAF’s characters quite as high.

Take a look around this board for some threads.  Every book I’ve read for the last decade has come from a recommendation I got here.  

Many of them I’d put on a par or better with Martin’s works.

(Particularly since most of them are or will one day be finished...) 

:leaving: 

Luke Skywalker from Timothy Zahn’s novels from the 1990s (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command, Specter of the Past, Vision of the Future).

It's not that the characters themselves are so amazing. It's more the POV narrative style that really sticks out for me in putting you inside that character's head and seeing only that character's point of view. 

On 1/14/2019 at 7:53 PM, Pecan said:

It's not that the characters themselves are so amazing. It's more the POV narrative style that really sticks out for me in putting you inside that character's head and seeing only that character's point of view. 

Personally, I think what sets Martin's work apart from most other fantasy is not the characters, as lots of fantasy novels have as good or better characters.  It's the depth.  Martin describes his world ten times better than most other fantasy authors.  He just leaves them in the dust when it comes to detailing every little aspect of his world.  The world feels lived in and the history matters.  You can almost taste the food.  He's just excellent when it comes to describing what truly feels like a living, breathing world that doesn't feel like it exists solely as a vessel for the characters that inhabit it like many other fantasy worlds. 

And you can really see that with the two history books for his world that Martin has released thus far (and there's at least one more coming).  I can't imagine most other fantasy authors have anywhere close to that much history written down for their fantasy worlds, and when you read ASOIAF I think that stands out.  All these little grudges between families.  All the small details that end up mattering a great deal later.  The way history has a tendency to repeat itself, or how a character simply humming a song can have dark implications that readers actually pick up on.  

Because of the depth of his world, we have a site like this where people have spent countless hours discussing thousands of theories, something I haven't really seen for that many other works of fiction.  

Edited by briantw