Mistakes in the Books

Quaithe from Asshai

On 1/7/2019 at 3:22 AM, Quaithe from Asshai said:

In the first printing of ADWD there were a lot of mistakes. Granted subsequent prints corrected these mistakes. However, those mistakes removed me from the world immersion experience. 

Do we know if George is working with his editors earlier to catch and correct any errors in TWOW? Or is he sticking with a month or so before the book is printed? 

I hope he works with his editors far in advance to catch any errors.

I did a lot of report writing and translating a few years ago and I can tell you that errors are often unavoidable. No matter how hard we tried, the human mind and eye always misses a few things. At some point, reading and re-reading page after page of wordy documents feels like staring at hoards of crawling ants.

I imagine error checking is like when I used to do making good on the finished plots on building sites, every wall is painted white and checking for errors on them all day just leaves you snow blind

In truth I don’t notice errors, they are usually confined to the smaller details, names and locations, things I rarely care to remember myself, unless Jaime Lannister suddenly becomes Jaime Stokeworth for half a chapter it’s sailing right over my head

I read ASOIAF in e-books. I was surprised by the large number of errors.  I suppose that part of the problem is that the books are so long and complex .  Even a good editor could have trouble keeping track of it all,  like in the spot where the name Daeron is misspelled as Dareon.

Paper books have to be reprinted, but ebooks can be updated anytime. Is there an email address or other way we can send reports of mistakes?

I'm pretty sure the purpose of submitting "partials" to you editor is simply to provide evidence or progress so you can receive progress payments, or otherwise assure your publisherthat you are not completely blowing off contractual obligations.

It does not really make sense to devote time to editing a chapter that the author may yet totally rewrite.

But I don't really worry about the sort of minor errors that an editor might possibly notice.  The errors that worry me are messed up time-lines that mess with the ability of fans to accurately assess evidence for or against the various theories.

Archived