NFL 2019: Wild Card, Mitches!

Jace, Extat

Post-game discussion on ESPN is canonizing Foles while trashing Trubiskey.  I’ve been critical of Trubiskey plenty of times but he threw for more yards than Foles tonight, similar completion %, same TDs and two fewer interceptions.  And he moved down the field super fast under pressure to set up a potential game-winning kick.

Having stood up for Trubiskey, he obviously still has a ton of improvement needed: he needs to be able to locate his second or third target if his first look is covered, and he needs to be more precise with his throws. 

2 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

I haven't felt this way since reading the Red Wedding first time.

This had lots more foreshadowing.  Parkey had the most or second most missed kicks all season.  Only last week I posted that he’d be a liability for a play-off team.  

Robbie Gould will get elected mayor of Chicago next month.  

3 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Well I don't expect New England to stop them 7 out of 8 times of whatever on short goal to go either.

And if they get to Brady half as often as they got near Jackson it will be elder abuse.

You should wait if you like Chargers. The line will probably drift up the Pats way during the week. 

So... like there is this tag line every season right before the post season where the fucking morons who say they know things about football find a team that has not humiliated themselves 3 weeks in a row and they say, "Nobody wants to play THAT team in the playoffs!!!"  And it was said about Chicago, Baltimore, the Chargers and Seattle.  People said that over and over again.  

Well, three of those four teams lost and the one that won beat another team they said that about.  It was hilarious.  

Started with Houston which just imploded for 60 minutes against Indy.  What a shit show.  Deshaun Watson sucked so hard it made me long for the days of Matt Shaub, posting an amazing 69.7 passer rating.  He would have been the worst QB who played this week, but for the fact that the Ravens are still here.  Anyway, the texans have completely squandered JJ Watt's career and now will do the same for Watson and Clowney.  My favorite part of the game was that 45 minute period where it seemed like Watson forgot how to throw forward.  But he had 76 yards rushing!  Yeah, that's a bad thing.  

Meanwhile Dallas played a pretty good game and held off a late rally from Seattle to win  their game.  Nothing particularly hilarious or stupid happened in this game, much to my chagrin.  I hate the fact that Russell Wilson seems to be tied to the Seattle sinking ship, but that's what you get for being good and well compensated.  

I then watched Lamar Jackson make a fool of himself.  Wow.  That was impressive.  To start a playoff game after benching  a former Superbowl winner and then play 4 whole quarters with barely a competent moment was miraculous.  At one point in the game, the Ravens had as many penalties (3) as they did first down.  Jackson had 14 completions, most at the very tail end of the game, and a pick and three fumbles, losing one.  He was a train wreck.  They started doing a clock count between his completions.  The remainder of the Offense played only moderately better, while the D played solid.  

And its not like the Chargers played really well; they almost chocked it away in the second half.  But they played well enough to allow another team to lose the game to them. 

The major story here was Harbaugh's decision NOT to bench Jackson for Flacco and I think that in the long run this was the right choice.  Maybe not on the field- the ball boy could have played better than Jackson.  But if Flacco benched Jackson he PROBABLY was still not going to win the game, but even if he won, he would have not only alienated Jackson, but possibly the rest of the team.  And for what?  For Flacco?  A guy who will not be back?  Don't see it.  Harbaugh was probably right in the long run for the non benching, even if it was not right in the short run.  

And then another playoff game was decided by a kicker fucking up.  Great tradition.  I feel for Chicago; Trubisky played great; Foles played like shit; the Eagles running game went 1.6 yards a carry.  So, of course the Eagles won.  Part of that was that too many Chicago drives end in field goals instead of TDs.  That is how you lose playoff games. 

Well, that and a field goal kicker that poops himself when it matters most.  

Anyway, quick prediction: I don't think the Pats have enough to beat even the Chargers.  I think the D is bad; the offense is far too limited with basically a solid running game, Edleman and half-a-Gronk.  I think the Chargers are not blessed nor a team of destiny; I just think they have more talent.  I think the Chargers dedicate themselves to stopping the run and actually dare the Pats to beat them with a broken Gronk, a slot receiver and whatever parts of Patterson and Dorsett they can assemble.  The Pats season and perhapse the dynasty ends with whimper, not a bang.  

I'm already tired of the lazy narrative about how bad Jackson played. 

Yes, he was ass for 3 and a half quarters. But you know what was more ass? Calling downfield routes with no short option when the LG was getting put on rollerskates from the snap on every fucking play while the Left End shot as far upheld as he could to keep Jackson from escaping to his right. 

There's this thing called 'coaching' that sometimes involves 'adjustments'. Like maybe moving the pocket to the right and getting your mobile rookie quarterback space to operate.

Anyone who thinks Flacco would have done anything don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

The Ravens were gifted two TD's by a Chargers D that clearly went into prevent and (especially on the first) weren't even trying.  Jackson did play poorly but that was as much scheme as him.  There's a reason nobody runs that kind of offense anymore.  

11 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

This had lots more foreshadowing.  Parkey had the most or second most missed kicks all season.  Only last week I posted that he’d be a liability for a play-off team.  

Robbie Gould will get elected mayor of Chicago next month.  

Also foreshadowed by the fact that the Bears could have rested last week and gotten the Vikings instead of the Eagles.

28 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Also foreshadowed by the fact that the Bears could have rested last week and gotten the Vikings instead of the Eagles.

Yeah. When the choice exists, there's just as many examples of teams resting in Week 17 and having playoff success as teams that went all out in Week 17 and having playoff success (probably even more actually, since its just more memorable when teams go all out). Throw in the risk of injury, and what the Bears did last week just makes no sense.

Unless the coach is more concerned about the embarrassment of losing to the same team two weeks in a row, even if the first time was intended; although that didn't seem to affect Marvin Lewis back in 2009/10.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

Nobody really looks that great or dominant, a lot of these teams backed into their wins.  Maybe Chiefs and Rams look the best? 

I thought the Chargers looked very good.  Yes they let the Ravens back in it, but overall they outplayed a good team on the road.  Indy looked good as well, but I'm less impressed about beating Houston, a team that always looked more formidable on paper than in reality. 

To me, the AFC looks very open, while the NFC looks like the Saints and everybody else.

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I thought the Chargers looked very good.  Yes they let the Ravens back in it, but overall they outplayed a good team on the road.  Indy looked good as well, but I'm less impressed about beating Houston, a team that always looked more formidable on paper than in reality. 

To me, the AFC looks very open, while the NFC looks like the Saints and everybody else.

Chargers looked good until they almost lost it, LOL, so not sure what that says about them, almost losing to a team whose QB was awful?  I hate the Colts so don't watch their games anymore, but yes, not sure beating the Texas is much of an indication of anything.  

Just now, Cas Stark said:

Chargers looked good until they almost lost it, LOL, so not sure what that says about them, almost losing to a team whose QB was awful?  I hate the Colts so don't watch their games anymore, but yes, not sure beating the Texas is much of an indication of anything.  

"Almost lost it" seems a little strong, it's not like they needed a goal line stand or missed field goal.  They dominated the Ravens for the first 50 minutes and foolishly started playing prevent once they got up by 20 against an offensively limited squad.  That decision proved to be correct, in that the Ravens were indeed unable to score 20 in the remaining time, although the game was much closer than it would have been had they continued to play aggressively.  I very much doubt the Chargers will make a similar mistake against any of the more offensively capable teams remaining. 

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

The Chargers played the way they did because they didn't think Jackson could beat them.  And he couldn't.

They made Jackson throw to beat them in the certain knowledge he couldn't put together three drives without a mistake.  And they were right.

2 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

The Chargers played the way they did because they didn't think Jackson could beat them.  And he couldn't.

They made Jackson throw to beat them in the certain knowledge he couldn't put together three drives without a mistake.  And they were right.

The Chargers also benefited greatly from getting curb-stomped by Baltimore a few weeks ago.  They knew what to expect this time.

It was only a matter of time before a defense figured out how to stop that Ravens offense.  Just sucks for Baltimore they drew the team they'd already played in the wild card.

Archived