NFL 2019: Wild Card, Mitches!

Jace, Extat

16 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Here's the week 18 DVOA rankings, where I'm seeing Tennessee as 16th on offense (1.4% above average). 

Oh that's weighted DVOA (i.e: only the last 6-8 weeks) and for the Titans that's gonna be better because they re-discovered what Derrick Henry can do. For the whole season it's here: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

ETA: not nearly awake enough this morning

I’m not saying he’s a terrible OC.  He didn’t have a lot to work with and his QB is always questionable. But that said, given you’re working with the last few years of Rodgers’ prime, you should probably get more of a sure thing.

19 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

ETA: Also Maith, you'll be happy to hear he's now the 3rd assistant on the 2013 Redskins who is now a HC in this league (along with Shanahan and McVay). 

The 2013 Redskins coaching tree will soon overtake the league like kudzu! 

Just like the 2008 Tampa Bay Bucs who went 9-7 with an all star cast of 3 current head coaches in Jon Gruden, Jay Gruden, Sean McVay and 2 future fired head coaches in Raheem Morris, Gus Bradley, and future NFL coordinators Todd Walsh, Monte Kiffin, BIll Muir, and Greg Olsen, not to mention superstar Redskins GM of pants and picnics Bruce Allen. 

10 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The 2013 Redskins coaching tree will soon overtake the league like kudzu! 

Just like the 2008 Tampa Bay Bucs who went 9-7 with an all star cast of 3 current head coaches in Jon Gruden, Jay Gruden, Sean McVay and 2 future fired head coaches in Raheem Morris, Gus Bradley, and future NFL coordinators Todd Walsh, Monte Kiffin, BIll Muir, and Greg Olsen, not to mention superstar Redskins GM of pants and picnics Bruce Allen. 

McVay was on that staff too? Wow. He had to have been like 15 at the time. Presume his main role for the Grudens was coffee retrieval analytics. 

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

McVay was on that staff too? Wow. He had to have been like 15 at the time. Presume his main role for the Grudens was coffee retrieval analytics. 

He's listed on wikipedia as offensive coaching assistant.  Jay Gruden was only "offensive assistant". 

The Kliff Kingsbury hire seems very strange and desperate.  Presumably they wanted a young, offensive minded coach to help develop Rosen, and Kingsbury fits the bill.  But is Kingsbury a GOOD coach?

Kingsbury started at Texas Tech in 2013, and that year discovered a walk-on freshman phenom in Baker Mayfield.  But the relationship between the two went sour after Mayfield suffered a minor injury, and (according to Mayfield) TTU didn't make clear that they had a scholarship for him next spring.  Kingsbury disputes this, but whether it was complete foolishness or just poor communication, Mayfield was pissed enough to transfer, which is a big deal.  Mayfield then goes on to be, ya know, Baker Mayfield.

Then Kingsbury turned the offense over to Davis Webb, who was then replaced by Patrick Mahomes in the 2015 season.  Webb transferred to Cal and then was drafted in the third round.  Patrick Mahomes put up some awesome numbers, but still TTU was never very good, finishing just 12-13 in 2015 and 2016. 

Ok, so at TTU, Kingsbury had two NFL MVP candidates in Mayfield and Mahomes, plus another NFL qb in Webb.  And he still had 4 of 6 losing seasons and finished with a combined Big 12 record of 19-35.  That's really bad.  And it's pretty undeniable that Mahomes and Mayfield both got better once they weren't playing with Kingsbury anymore.  Mahomes is going to be MVP in his first year as a starter, and he was seen as a questionable first round pick, with lots of talent but very raw.  Mayfield was obviously raw as a rookie at TTU, but he flourished in Oklahoma, won the Heisman and went #1 overall.  That isn't because of Kingsbury, he's the guy who let him walk (very very stupidly). 

What is it about Kingsbury that seems like NFL material?  This is a guy who almost got fired at Texas Tech last season, and has never posted better than a 7-5 record in six years there, in spite of superior NFL qb talent to work with.  THIS is your guy?! 

30 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

What is it about Kingsbury that seems like NFL material?  This is a guy who almost got fired at Texas Tech last season, and has never posted better than a 7-5 record in six years there, in spite of superior NFL qb talent to work with.  THIS is your guy?! 

Furthering your point:

Congrats to Kingsbury though as the rare former college coach who will have a worse QB in the NFL than the guys he got to coach in college. The only other one I can think of is Jim Harbaugh (with the difference being Jim Harbaugh was actually successful as a college coach). 

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Fangio to HC of Broncos. Sorry, Bears defense. It was a fun year. 

Fangio plus Kubiak should be an instant upgrade in Denver.  Still lacking a QB, but might just be enough.  The AFC West may be very tough next year if Gruden's system takes hold in Oakland/SantaClara/LasVegas/Fresno/SanDiego.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

If you showed me photos of Kingsbury, LaFleur, and McVay, I don't think I'd be able to tell them apart. So, there's that I guess.

Really happy the Browns went with Freddie Kitchens for their head coaching job.  He had the Browns playing like a top five offense the last eight games of the season once he took over for Todd Haley (they were bottom five the first eight, I believe), kept Mayfield from getting hit (led the league in QB hits the last nine weeks and absurdly gave up a third of the hits of the next lowest team), had some absolutely brilliant play calls, and got everyone to buy in.  I also loved how, every time he was questioned about something Baker did, he never spoke an ill word about Mayfield, which is the polar opposite of Hue Jackson's approach of blaming everyone but himself when things go wrong.

No idea if Kitchens will work out, but he seems like he knows what he's doing when it comes to calling plays and drawing up an offensive game plan.

2 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

That's a big loss.  Pace needs another Nagy-esque recruitment success.

Kris Richard is popular again after being scapegoated I'm Seattle last year. 

And since he's not technically the defensive coordinator Dallas can't block him from taking interviews for a promotion.

Trouble is if it works out again he's almost certainly getting the Cardinals job next year.

27 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

And since he's not technically the defensive coordinator Dallas can't block him from taking interviews for a promotion.

Trouble is if it works out again he's almost certainly getting the Cardinals job next year.

Any chance of the Falcons kicking Dan Quinn to the curb?  He could have some fun with the Bears D.

8 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Any chance of the Falcons kicking Dan Quinn to the curb?  He could have some fun with the Bears D.

Maybe after next year? He and Dimitroff signed extensions before last year, but he's reassuming defensive playcalling duties which could be an indication that he's feeling the pressure.

If the Falcons continue to struggle with the D after he's calling plays and half their starters come back from being Thanos'd then he's really singled himself out for decapitation.

Add to that Dirk Keotter will be waiting in the wings with anecdotes about Matt Ryan reading leadership books in the weight room at 5 AM

47 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

You’re Seattle?  

I've got an idea to float. Loads of pundits and talking heads have been saying that Lawrence would be the top pick if he was eligible for the draft. People have also been trying to figure out ways to pay the players. Why not let them be eligible for the draft, but not to play in the NFL until after their third qualifying year? You could sign them and let them keep 10% of their signing bonus each year they play at the collegiate level, After that they get the remainder of their signing bonus and the contract begins. If for whatever reason does not want that player at that time (injury, poor play, etc.), they could be bought out for a certain amount, become free agents and the teams would get their cap space back. 

Archived