NFL 2019: Wild Card, Mitches!

Jace, Extat

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've got an idea to float. Loads of pundits and talking heads have been saying that Lawrence would be the top pick if he was eligible for the draft. People have also been trying to figure out ways to pay the players. Why not let them be eligible for the draft, but not to play in the NFL until after their third qualifying year? You could sign them and let them keep 10% of their signing bonus each year they play at the collegiate level, After that they get the remainder of their signing bonus and the contract begins. If for whatever reason does not want that player at that time (injury, poor play, etc.), they could be bought out for a certain amount, become free agents and the teams would get their cap space back. 

The people who aren't trying to pay players will never let it happen.

That would be the schools.

4 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

The people who aren't trying to pay players will never let it happen.

That would be the schools.

I also think drafting players who won't get to play on the team for two years is something most GMs would be hesitant to do in a league where the lifespan of GMs and coaches isn't long enough to justify that kind of risk.  Lots of guys look like stars their freshman year and then get hurt or just under-perform after.

11 minutes ago, briantw said:

I also think drafting players who won't get to play on the team for two years is something most GMs would be hesitant to do in a league where the lifespan of GMs and coaches isn't long enough to justify that kind of risk.  Lots of guys look like stars their freshman year and then get hurt or just under-perform after.

Christian Hackenberg says "what?"

The schools are largely totally fine with paying players. It's cheap compared to the shenanigans they currently have to go through with the NCAA.

The NCAA is the group that doesn't want to pay players. 

42 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Can't believe the Patriots ever hired that guy who flopped out in Cleveland.

That guy had a long history prior to the head coaching gig showing that he had talent; Gase has a single good year as an OC, helped along massively by a resurgent Peyton Manning, and that's it.

53 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Yeah, having on your coaching record 'successfully coached Peyton Manning' doesn't seem like it should confer particularly strong accolades. 

Remember how all those teams kept hiring Howard Mudd to be their secret sauce but nothing came of it?

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Yeah, having on your coaching record 'successfully coached Peyton Manning' doesn't seem like it should confer particularly strong accolades. 

It's right up there with "mentored by Bill Belichick."

Coaching hires are basically the same as draft picks. If you get the right combination of talent together it will work, if you have some wrong pieces it won't. Two years from now when Cleveland wins the SB and Green Bay is looking for another coach we will be second guessing that hire also (anything is possible).

(it felt kinda dirty and unnatural typing Cleveland and Super Bowl in same sentence so I changed it to SB!)

14 hours ago, Kalbear said:

The schools are largely totally fine with paying players. It's cheap compared to the shenanigans they currently have to go through with the NCAA.

The NCAA is the group that doesn't want to pay players. 

Oh the NCAA, locked in a never ending battle with FIFA to decide which is the most corrupt sports entity, though recently U.S. Gymnastics has said “Hold my beer.”

13 hours ago, Fez said:

Adam Gase?! Really? FML

Nothing worse than NFL head coach retread.

Don’t be so glum. Gase was a .500 coach who had an average at best roster and his QBs were an always injured Tannehill, Matt Moore, Brockstar and Cutler. He could do well with Darnold. Contrast that with the other name floating around the Jets, McCarthy, who did win an Owl, but he coached for 13 years with two of the greatest QBs of all time. He should have won more than that. Plus his offense was so stale. I’d rather have Gase over him.

48 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Don’t be so glum. Gase was a .500 coach who had an average at best roster and his QBs were an always injured Tannehill, Matt Moore, Brockstar and Cutler. He could do well with Darnold. Contrast that with the other name floating around the Jets, McCarthy, who did win an Owl, but he coached for 13 years with two of the greatest QBs of all time. He should have won more than that. Plus his offense was so stale. I’d rather have Gase over him.

Sure, McCarthy would've also been terrible, but it's little consolation that the other name being floated around would also be a HC retread. I don't follow closely enough to know all the names anymore, but I beat there's some great OCs and DCs who've never been a HC before who could the next great one. Probably among the teams still in playoffs actually, which is also why it's so silly that they rushed to hire someone now.

Like, I have no idea if he'd be a good head coach, but Pete Carmichael has had a ton of success being the Saints OC the past 10 years, maybe he'd at least be worth an interview?

Looks like Antonio Brown is definitely getting dealt...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25730459/steelers-owner-says-hard-envision-antonio-brown-team-camp

Pittsburgh is one of the most spectacular implosions I've ever seen from a traditionally solid and successful team. I know Pats fans are in for a bumpy ride for a while, but the dumpster fire in Pittsburgh will provide some warmth in the cold days ahead.

7 hours ago, Fez said:

Sure, McCarthy would've also been terrible, but it's little consolation that the other name being floated around would also be a HC retread. I don't follow closely enough to know all the names anymore, but I beat there's some great OCs and DCs who've never been a HC before who could the next great one. Probably among the teams still in playoffs actually, which is also why it's so silly that they rushed to hire someone now.

Like, I have no idea if he'd be a good head coach, but Pete Carmichael has had a ton of success being the Saints OC the past 10 years, maybe he'd at least be worth an interview?

I understand wanting something new, and that you've gotten a good look at the guy over the last three years being a division rival, but I really don't think it was a bad hire. Look at this way, he got the best out of Tebow as his QB coach, he was the OC when Peyton had his best year, and he left the year before it all fell apart for him (Peyton also recommended him to the Jets), he made Cutler a better QB in Chicago and he got the most out of Tannehill that one could hope for. He took over an average 6-10 team in 2016 and got them to the playoffs, the 2017 season was lost because his QB missed the season, and 2018 started out great until all their skill position players got hurt. Given all that, I wouldn't be too bummed that he's my new HC all things considered. He's helped guys improve their ability to protect the ball, and lord knows Darnold needs that. Maybe in the end it won't work, but things could certainly be a lot worse.

Gase's problem seems to be the same issue that McDaniels had.  He's got a good mind for offense, but he's a dick.  The only coach who really consistently gets away with that is Belichick, and Belichick has earned enough respect through winning year in and year out to pull it off.  McDaniels and Gase haven't earned shit.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Looks like Antonio Brown is definitely getting dealt...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25730459/steelers-owner-says-hard-envision-antonio-brown-team-camp

Pittsburgh is one of the most spectacular implosions I've ever seen from a traditionally solid and successful team. I know Pats fans are in for a bumpy ride for a while, but the dumpster fire in Pittsburgh will provide some warmth in the cold days ahead.

Time for Ju Ju to step up. 

46 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

, the 2017 season was lost because his QB missed the season, .

Someone should have told that to Doug Pederson. In 2017. 

And also 2018. 

And Bill Parcells in 1990.

And Bill Belichick in 2001.

And Dick Vermille in 99.

And Jim Harbaugh in 2012.

Archived