NFL 2019: Wild Card, Mitches!

Jace, Extat

49 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Zac Taylor is expected to be the next Bengals HC. 

If you don't know who that is, Google the Rams Quarterbacks coach.

ETA: Wrote Sean Taylor for some reason. I don't think he ever even knew Sean McVay

His qualifications include that he once had brunch with Sean McVay.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Zac Taylor is expected to be the next Bengals HC. 

If you don't know who that is, Google the Rams Quarterbacks coach.

ETA: Wrote Sean Taylor for some reason. I don't think he ever even knew Sean McVay

I’m good with it. Good article here from Andy Benoit. Feels like finding a good coach is a lottery and I’m glad we are taking a punt on someone like Taylor.

56 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I want Bieniemy or Taylor, so I’ll be happy with either one. Heard nothing but good things about Taylor, especially. 

Really sad it looks like you guys aren't going to hire Hue Jackson.  :mellow:

52 minutes ago, briantw said:

Really sad it looks like you guys aren't going to hire Hue Jackson.  :mellow:

I had so much hope in my heart.

But it's Ok. Hue will still be there 16 years and 7 playoff one-and-dones from now.

Dammit, Jace? Why you gotta do that? You know it's just going to incense Mexal and Nictarion.

I know, other Jace. But I just can't help it. It's in my nature.

It's Ok, Jace. We'll always have each other.

Is that why you didn't come home until late last night!?! Were you out with your man whores????

Don't be hysterical you bitch! Everything I do is for us! You hear me? Why do you make me hit you? You know I don't want to!

--------

This has been Inside The Bengals with your host Jace. Thank you for tuning in.

14 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Someone should have told that to Doug Pederson. In 2017. 

And also 2018. 

And Bill Parcells in 1990.

And Bill Belichick in 2001.

And Dick Vermille in 99.

And Jim Harbaugh in 2012.

Make Jay Cutler your backup in each of those situations, still winning a title?

Yesterday, I heard some unsubstantiated talk on ESPN radio that the Cardinals are seriously considering Kyler Murray at first overall... :stunned: 

It was Trey Wingo mostly, who doesn't strike me as an alarmist hot take kind of guy; but I can't imagine you'd get much for Josh Rosen at this point and I'm not ready to ditch him.  Is this really a thought process in NFL front offices right now???  Take the 5'8" guy who might be trying to play baseball at the same time???

Just now, Rhom said:

Yesterday, I heard some unsubstantiated talk on ESPN radio that the Cardinals are seriously considering Kyler Murray at first overall... :stunned: 

It was Trey Wingo mostly, who doesn't strike me as an alarmist hot take kind of guy; but I can't imagine you'd get much for Josh Rosen at this point and I'm not ready to ditch him.  Is this really a thought process in NFL front offices right now???  Take the 5'8" guy who might be trying to play baseball at the same time???

It's based on the comment from their new coach that he'd absolutely take Murray first because Murray is a crazy freak. 

And honestly? That's probably not a bad idea, especially if you aren't sure about your current QB. Hitting on a QB on their rookie contract remains the best possible thing you can do for your franchise, and it's worth picks to try it. Even if you end up trading Murray to someone else, if you think he's worth that pick you go for it. 

Kyler Murray isn't 5-8 - I've seen different figures ranging from 5-10 and 6-1, but it's becoming more and more obvious that height is not the disqualifying factor that it used to be (if it ever was). 

Taking Murray and giving up on Rosen would be surprising, since that would be essentially throwing away last year's #10 pick (Rosen's trade value would be destroyed by this move).  But Rosen wasn't good this year (11tds, 14 ints), so it's really an open question whether people saw enough flashes of potential whether there's hope for further development.  His scouting report (as I remember it) was that he was pretty pro-ready, but he took too many risks and would get punished by NFL defenses early.  That definitely happened, 14 picks in 13 games is not good, even for a rookie.  The other big question is how good your scouts think Murray is.  If he's a qb who is legit worth the 1st overall pick, you can't pass that by, certainly not for Josh Rosen. 

We'll see how the draft extravaganza develops.  Every year quarterbacks steadily climb the board because there just aren't enough good ones out there and the draft is the only real solution.  If someone (be it Murray or someone else) is worth the 1/1 pick, then Arizona probably either takes him or trades the pick so someone else can.  If you're looking for a great pass rusher, the difference between the #1 and #5 pick is pretty damn small. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Kyler Murray isn't 5-8 - I've seen different figures ranging from 5-10 and 6-1, but it's becoming more and more obvious that height is not the disqualifying factor that it used to be (if it ever was). 

Is there a single successful QB in the NFL right now aside from Russell Wilson that is under six feet with shoes on?  I can't think of another.  

1 minute ago, briantw said:

Is there a single successful QB in the NFL right now aside from Russell Wilson that is under six feet with shoes on?  I can't think of another.  

Drew Brees is right around six feet I think. And Mayfield ain't that tall either.

16 minutes ago, briantw said:

I believe Mayfield and Brees are both "listed" as 6-1, but really more like 6-0.  And what does that really prove?  Before drafting Wilson you could sort of understand teams being reluctant to draft someone under 6 feet (even though Wilson had no trouble seeing over Wisconsin's O line), because the number of successful qbs was 0.  But why isn't one example enough?  It's not like there are so many successful NFL quarterbacks anyway, and Murray has elite skills in most of the other areas you look for in a great prospect. 

Obviously, I'm not a scout and I've only seen Murray play a couple times.  I have no idea if he will be good.  But it seems crazy to assume that he can't based on height.

Just now, Maithanet said:

I believe Mayfield and Brees are both "listed" as 6-1, but really more like 6-0.  And what does that really prove?  Before drafting Wilson you could sort of understand team's reluctance (even though Wilson had no trouble seeing over Wisconsin's O line), because the number of successful qbs was 0.  But why isn't one example enough?  It's not like there are so many successful NFL quarterbacks anyway, and Murray has elite skills in most of the other areas you look for in a great prospect. 

Obviously, I'm not a scout and I've only seen Murray play a couple times.  I have no idea if he will be good.  But it seems crazy to assume that he can't based on height.

I mean, I definitely think that skill can override height.  We've seen it done before.  But at the same time, there's just not a lot of examples of successful QBs under six feet.  You've got Russell Wilson and that's pretty much it.

As for Mayfield, he measured in at 6'0 5/8" at the Combine, so he's pretty much 6'1.  Tried to google Brees' numbers but the first few links didn't give me anything concrete so I gave up.

Archived