NFL 2019: Wild Card, Mitches!

Jace, Extat

10 minutes ago, briantw said:

Brees and Mayfield are both over six feet.  I think Mayfield was 6'1 in shoes. 

I see Brees listed at 6 feet even. But who knows, it may have been fudged. These numbers get fudged all the time. Brees is comparable to Wilson in height and is an all time great. We're literally disagreeing about an inch here. Not an Al Pacino Any Given Sunday kind of inch, either.

7 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

If you think you know how tall any of the shorter quarterbacks are, you are kidding yourself.  The closest to the truth you'll get is at the combine.

That would be why I just listed Mayfield's Combine number.

Wilson's Combine height was 5'10 5/8", so he is absolutely under six feet.

37 minutes ago, briantw said:

I mean, I definitely think that skill can override height.  We've seen it done before.  But at the same time, there's just not a lot of examples of successful QBs under six feet.  You've got Russell Wilson and that's pretty much it.

There's not a lot of examples of QBs under 6 feet, period. Can you name many that are actual failures? For a long time, they were simply never given a shot. 

Really, even taking out the idea of Russell Wilson being this outlier, simply look at the dude's performance in games. Again quality opponents like, well, Alabama, who is made up of basically NFL players at this point. The idea that you won't be able to see over your linemen for throws matters a lot less when you're doing shotgun for 70% of your snaps. 

4 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

Fixed.

Fake News! Tua will still be the likely favorite to go first overall. 

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Taking Murray and giving up on Rosen would be surprising, since that would be essentially throwing away last year's #10 pick (Rosen's trade value would be destroyed by this move).  But Rosen wasn't good this year (11tds, 14 ints), so it's really an open question whether people saw enough flashes of potential whether there's hope for further development.  His scouting report (as I remember it) was that he was pretty pro-ready, but he took too many risks and would get punished by NFL defenses early.  That definitely happened, 14 picks in 13 games is not good, even for a rookie.  The other big question is how good your scouts think Murray is.  If he's a qb who is legit worth the 1st overall pick, you can't pass that by, certainly not for Josh Rosen. 

I wouldn't be too hard on Rosen. Bradford was even worse than he was. The Cards were a terrible team with lane cones for an offensive line. Honestly if I were them I'd pray for one of the QB needy teams to fall in love with Murray and give you a monster package for the top pick. 

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Don't pick Jay Cutler as your backup, maybe display better judgement?

Okay Confucius.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I mean, I definitely think that skill can override height.  We've seen it done before.  But at the same time, there's just not a lot of examples of successful QBs under six feet.  You've got Russell Wilson and that's pretty much it.

As for Mayfield, he measured in at 6'0 5/8" at the Combine, so he's pretty much 6'1.  Tried to google Brees' numbers but the first few links didn't give me anything concrete so I gave up.

Honestly that's not the place to quibble over an inch or two. :P

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Fake News! Tua will still be the likely favorite to go first overall.

He may well.  Especially if the team with the first overall pick that year is a team that gets early picks on a frequent basis because they keep screwing them up.

4 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

He may well.  Especially if the team with the first overall pick that year is a team that gets early picks on a frequent basis because they keep screwing them up.

Finally not us!

Just now, Nictarion said:

Things go from bad to worse for the Steelers with the hiring of Teryl Austin to help their secondary. He had the Bengals defense playing at a historically bad level before getting fired mid-season. Especially our CB’s (who are all 1st rounders). 

Hopefully his insider knowledge will help determine when Tyler Eifert is and isn't on IR for 60% of the season.

Just now, Triskele said:

Even with that punt block TD it still feels hopeless for Indy, and I look like a fool.  Indy cannot get a first down, and KC is still moving the ball with ease.  

You're telling me. I want to bash my stupid head into the wall for being so naive.

Archived