NFL 2019: Wild Card, Mitches!

Jace, Extat

2 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

No one else wanted Freddie Kitchens. He had no interviews.

Yeah, but is that true a year from now if the Browns continue to look great on offense next season?  I doubt it.  And I don't think the team wanted to hitch their horse to Gregg Williams, and I can't say I really blame them.  Kitchens was the guy who turned that team around, not Gregg.  Gregg did his part and helped bring some stability to the team, mostly by just not being Hue Jackson, but as mentioned Kitchens is the guy who turned them from a bottom five to top five offense despite having exactly the same team as the guy before him.

Baker's numbers before and after Kitchens took over are equally ridiculous.  His completion percentage jumped up almost fifteen percent. 

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, but is that true a year from now if the Browns continue to look great on offense next season?  I doubt it.  And I don't think the team wanted to hitch their horse to Gregg Williams, and I can't say I really blame them.  Kitchens was the guy who turned that team around, not Gregg.  Gregg did his part and helped bring some stability to the team, mostly by just not being Hue Jackson, but as mentioned Kitchens is the guy who turned them from a bottom five to top five offense despite having exactly the same team as the guy before him.

Baker's numbers before and after Kitchens took over are equally ridiculous.  His completion percentage jumped up almost fifteen percent. 

Baker Mayfield - Hue Jackson fixed that offense. When their other finalist was Kevin goddamn Stefanski I'm going to feel confident that they had no idea what the fuck they were doing and cocked this up already.

Oh, Colts made the surprisingly proactive decision to fire Dave Deguelimaragano. The guy the Patriots had to drag Dante Scarnecci out of retirement to replace after they let him ruin their O-line? That guy was one of the McDaniels hires who had signed before the Superbowl.

21 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Baker Mayfield - Hue Jackson fixed that offense. When their other finalist was Kevin goddamn Stefanski I'm going to feel confident that they had no idea what the fuck they were doing and cocked this up already.

Baker Mayfield sure as hell wasn't fixing the offense the first eight games (well, five and a half).  Yeah, he looked good, but for a rookie.  With Kitchens calling plays, he was one of the better QBs in the league.  Arguably top five over the last eight games, and definitely top ten.  

I'm also pretty sure the Browns scored touchdowns on 19 out of 21 trips to the red zone under Kitchens, and one of the two red zone trips where they didn't score was when Baker took a knee at the five to run out the clock against the Bengals.  They absolutely would have scored there if they had wanted to.

6 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

No one else wanted Freddie Kitchens. He had no interviews.

Only because he is fat and hasn't been linked to Mcvay. If he had known Mcvays cousins sisters nieces brother in law then he definitely would have been interviewed for every open job, especially Arizonas. :P

7 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Only because he is fat and hasn't been linked to Mcvay. If he had known Mcvays cousins sisters nieces brother in law then he definitely would have been interviewed for every open job, especially Arizonas. :P

John Dorsey prefers more of an Andy Reid type. 

42 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

So Darrell Bevell to the Lions, and Kubiack to the Vikings. This really sucks for the Bengals having to wait out Zac Taylor while he’s still in the playoffs. I have no idea how he’s going to build an entire staff with what’s left out there. 

I really like the hire, if for nothing else he should help the awful line we have. 

I heard an interesting stat on the radio just now. Last year three of the final four teams were top five in defensive DVOA rankings. This year the final four teams are the top four teams in  offensive  DVOA rankings. Funny how that works.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I heard an interesting stat on the radio just now. Last year three of the final four teams were top five in defensive DVOA rankings. This year the final four teams are the top four teams in  offensive  DVOA rankings. Funny how that works.

For whatever reason, the best defensive teams really didn't play well in the playoffs (Chicago and Baltimore especially).  In addition, all four championship teams had their defenses playing one of their best games of the year in the playoffs.  KC is the most obvious example, but the Saints held Philly scoreless for the final 3 quarters, and both NE and LAR got enough stops to win. 

17 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

For whatever reason, the best defensive teams really didn't play well in the playoffs (Chicago and Baltimore especially).  In addition, all four championship teams had their defenses playing one of their best games of the year in the playoffs.  KC is the most obvious example, but the Saints held Philly scoreless for the final 3 quarters, and both NE and LAR got enough stops to win. 

Baltimore didn’t play badly. Jackson just couldn’t complete a pass for 2 hours. And the Bears held the Eagles to 16 points. A blocked FG cost them the game. I wouldn’t say that either played poorly. And with regards to last week, yeah KC was a huge surprise, but the others weren’t. NO has a good defense, the Pats always scheme well after a bye and the Rams have great talent, though they haven’t lived up to it. I wouldn’t be shocked if any of those three came out and had a great defensive game this weekend. I don’t think KC can replicate what they did though. If they win, it will be because they scored more than 30 points.  

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Baltimore didn’t play badly. Jackson just couldn’t complete a pass for 2 hours. And the Bears held the Eagles to 16 points. A blocked FG cost them the game. I wouldn’t say that either played poorly. And with regards to last week, yeah KC was a huge surprise, but the others weren’t. NO has a good defense, the Pats always scheme well after a bye and the Rams have great talent, though they haven’t lived up to it. I wouldn’t be shocked if any of those three came out and had a great defensive game this weekend. I don’t think KC can replicate what they did though. If they win, it will be because they scored more than 30 points.  

Both Chicago and Baltimore played reasonably well on defense, but as a team they didn't play well.  They both lost winnable games at home. 

KC definitely has the worst defense of the remaining teams, although they might be getting a little better with guys coming back from injury.  We'll see if they can replicate that, but with the ungodly cold temperatures this weekend, I could easily see KC winning that game with a score like 30-24. 

20 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Both Chicago and Baltimore played reasonably well on defense, but as a team they didn't play well.  They both lost winnable games at home. 

That’s because of their young QBs. I’ve never bought in on Mitch despite him having good weapons and they’re running an offense similar to KC’s, and Jackson is just too raw and Baltimore runs a constipated offense.  

KC definitely has the worst defense of the remaining teams, although they might be getting a little better with guys coming back from injury.  We'll see if they can replicate that, but with the ungodly cold temperatures this weekend, I could easily see KC winning that game with a score like 30-24. 

KC’s defense isn’t good, but their pass rush is, and more importantly, they can get to the QB with four, which is what you have to do against Brady. I think the score you mentioned is quite possible, and I also trust Mahomes’ arm strength in the cold over Brady’s. Older QBs can suffer in the freezing cold.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

KC’s defense isn’t good, but their pass rush is, and more importantly, they can get to the QB with four, which is what you have to do against Brady.

The Chargers got to the QB with four all season.  Until last week.

Just now, Bronn Stone said:

The Chargers got to the QB with four all season.  Until last week.

Expecting them to sack Brady in the first second is asking a lot.  And since there was always someone open 5 yards downfield, Brady didn't need to wait longer than that. 

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Chargers also used the same defensive scheme they used against Baltimore when they played the Patriots. Because Tom Brady is just like Lamar Jackson……

That scheme involved using safeties in lieu of linebackers (and it wasn't the same - the Chargers played 6 DBs against the Patriots as often as they played 7, whereas against the Ravens it was 7 on every play save one).  I'm curious how playing linebackers in place of safeties would have improved their ability to cover the pass.

Archived