NFL 2019: Wild Card, Mitches!

Jace, Extat

5 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

That scheme involved using safeties in lieu of linebackers (and it wasn't the same - the Chargers played 6 DBs against the Patriots as often as they played 7, whereas against the Ravens it was 7 on every play save one).  I'm curious how playing linebackers in place of safeties would have improved their ability to cover the pass.

It wouldn't, but they wouldn't have gotten run on like that. White's 15 catches were basically runs too, so in effect the Pats hung 250 yards and 4 TDs on the Chargers via running. Linebackers would have been useful there.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It wouldn't, but they wouldn't have gotten run on like that. White's 15 catches were basically runs too, so in effect the Pats hung 250 yards and 4 TDs on the Chargers via running. Linebackers would have been useful there.

Was going to say something similar, but I remember hearing that part of the reason the Chargers went with all those DBs is their LBs were hurt.

And frankly, given how listlessly the rest of the team played, I don't think personnel would have fixed the problem. I can't remember the last time I saw the Pats OL push people around like that. Maybe the Jonas Gray game?

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Was going to say something similar, but I remember hearing that part of the reason the Chargers went with all those DBs is their LBs were hurt.

And frankly, given how listlessly the rest of the team played, I don't think personnel would have fixed the problem. I can't remember the last time I saw the Pats OL push people around like that. Maybe the Jonas Gray game?

Chargers and injuries go together better than chocolate and peanut butter.

Speaking of O-Line play, I just went to FO and surprising no one, the teams that are left expect KC are the best O-Lines in the league. Great O-Line play is becoming as important as great QB play. Average QBs can look like stars if they have forever to throw and a reliable running game.

11 hours ago, Maithanet said:

We'll see if they can replicate that, but with the ungodly cold temperatures this weekend, I could easily see KC winning that game with a score like 30-24.

I googled the weather in KC this weekend and it appears the very cold temperatures might not materialize. At the moment, it looks like 26F or so which is typical winter weather.

11 hours ago, Altherion said:

I googled the weather in KC this weekend and it appears the very cold temperatures might not materialize. At the moment, it looks like 26F or so which is typical winter weather.

Are you sure about that? There’s a huge storm about to hit the Midwest and Northeast and while the models don’t have it crushing KC at the moment, a slight change of the winds could dramatically affect the game.

This is brutal...and he's totally right. What coach could be sustainably successful under Snyder? He's already employed 3 of the greatest coaches of all time (Schottenheimer, Gibbs, Shanahan). They've had some of the best minds as coordinators (K. Shanahan, McVay). They've had great talent evaluators as GM (McCloughan).  All have left the organization disgraced, diminished. Kinda reminds me of another organization currently featured heavily in the news. You could bring Belichick in at this point and I'm convinced he'd go down in flames. If an organization is rotten to the core, nothing you do matters unless you change the person at the top.

Danny Snyder is likely to live for another 30 years. Wonder if there'll be any Skins fans left at that point. 

21 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

This is brutal...and he's totally right. What coach could be sustainably successful under Snyder? He's already employed 3 of the greatest coaches of all time (Schottenheimer, Gibbs, Shanahan). They've had some of the best minds as coordinators (K. Shanahan, McVay). They've had great talent evaluators as GM (McCloughan).  All have left the organization disgraced, diminished. Kinda reminds me of another organization currently featured heavily in the news. You could bring Belichick in at this point and I'm convinced he'd go down in flames. If an organization is rotten to the core, nothing you do matters unless you change the person at the top.

Danny Snyder is likely to live for another 30 years. Wonder if there'll be any Skins fans left at that point.

I agree with most of this, although I was pretty unimpressed with Mike Shanahan.  He wasn't put in a position to succeed, that is true, but he also made some really egregious decisions of his own.  Not that I expect a non-biased account from his son. 

But the broader point, that in the Snyder era, Washington has had several very good coaches, assistant coaches, personnel people and quarterbacks.  None has brought sustained success, and most left with their reputations in tatters.  The one uniting thread of 20 years of failure is Dan Snyder. 

2 hours ago, Jaime L said:

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I agree with most of this, although I was pretty unimpressed with Mike Shanahan.  He wasn't put in a position to succeed, that is true, but he also made some really egregious decisions of his own.  Not that I expect a non-biased account from his son. 

But the broader point, that in the Snyder era, Washington has had several very good coaches, assistant coaches, personnel people and quarterbacks.  None has brought sustained success, and most left with their reputations in tatters.  The one uniting thread of 20 years of failure is Dan Snyder. 

It really wasn't all that long ago they were a first rate organization, or at least a high second tier. The fall from grace has been undignified as any I can think of. The sputtering bursts of brilliance actually seem comically cruel after they keep being swiped away. 

From an outsiders pov it almost looks like Snyder is losing interest in the team, especially after his scheme to defraud residents of public land collapsed. Are the streets talking over there? What are they saying? 

3 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

It really wasn't all that long ago they were a first rate organization, or at least a high second tier. The fall from grace has been undignified as any I can think of. The sputtering bursts of brilliance actually seem comically cruel after they keep being swiped away. 

From an outsiders pov it almost looks like Snyder is losing interest in the team, especially after his scheme to defraud residents of public land collapsed. Are the streets talking over there? What are they saying? 

I have never heard that.  All the Inside Washington talk is that Snyder is very focused on winning, he is just not willing or mature enough to give up the fantasy football things that he likes about being a team owner.  He likes schmoozing with the star players.  He likes wining and dining potential star coaches.  He dislikes letting other people have complete control of "his" team even when his management has driven the team from being a first tier organization when he bought it in the mid-90s to being the kind of organization sportswriters make fun of (and rightfully so). 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I have never heard that.  All the Inside Washington talk is that Snyder is very focused on winning, he is just not willing or mature enough to give up the fantasy football things that he likes about being a team owner.  He likes schmoozing with the star players.  He likes wining and dining potential star coaches.  He dislikes letting other people have complete control of "his" team even when his management has driven the team from being a first tier organization when he bought it in the mid-90s to being the kind of organization sportswriters make fun of (and rightfully so). 

Well shit. I'd read and heard multiple times that Gruden might have gained some breathing room lately due to a Snyder withdraw. Guess not.

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Well shit. I'd read and heard multiple times that Gruden might have gained some breathing room lately due to a Snyder withdraw. Guess not.

Snyder making a withdrawl and letting the "football people" make decisions is something that has been rumored over and over again.  But the fact that Bruce Allen is still the team president (and GM in all but name) is indicative that Snyder is still calling the shots.  Allen has been every bit as terrible is Vinny Cerrato before him.  But Allen and Snyder are drinking buddies, and Allen carries out Snyder's wishes, so he stays.  You know who got fired instead?  Scot McCloughan - who got into a power struggle with Allen and then had a PR hit job put out on him before being fired.  Also fired last month was Brian Lafemina, a former NFL exec who was going to help rebrand the team to sell tickets and negotiate a bidding war between DC, VA and MD for stadium rights.  But apparently Allen (or is it Snyder?) didn't like how he was doing things, and fired him less than 8 months into the job. 

These new Redskins?  Same as the old Redskins.  Unless you're thinking of the old Redskins as in the 1980s and early 90s competent Redskins.  These new Redskins are very, very different. 

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Are you sure about that? There’s a huge storm about to hit the Midwest and Northeast and while the models don’t have it crushing KC at the moment, a slight change of the winds could dramatically affect the game.

To the best of my knowledge, the storm will be on Friday evening and early Saturday. Obviously, nobody is perfect at predicting the weather, but at the moment, Sunday looks to have a high/low of 32F/21F and no precipitation.

6 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah, also in the unimpressed by Shanahan camp. He coached 14 years after Elway retired and won exactly one playoff game (against the Pats, which I'm inclined to put more on the Pats' issues playing in Denver, including giving up five turnovers, than Shanahan's genius).

This is not meant to take away from the horror show of Snyder's reign.

On 1/18/2019 at 9:24 PM, DanteGabriel said:

Yeah, also in the unimpressed by Shanahan camp. He coached 14 years after Elway retired and won exactly one playoff game (against the Pats, which I'm inclined to put more on the Pats' issues playing in Denver, including giving up five turnovers, than Shanahan's genius).

That Benjamin Watson tackle, though.

Motherfucker is on the Saints, too!

Archived