NFL 2019: Wild Card, Mitches!

Jace, Extat

This was one of the best games I have ever watched.  

I honestly thought the Pats only had a legit shot at winning when they scored with like 35 seconds legit to go in the game.  That field goal made me question even THAT.  And even when they won the coin flip (Slater always calls heads), I thought that the momentum had swung.  And then Tom Brady - King of the Andals and the Roynar and the First Men - went three-for-3 on third down and became the first QB in NFL history to win three overtime playoff games (all memorable - The Snow Bowl in 2001, the 2016 Superbowl, 2018 AFC Championship game).  

The pats 36 first downs (to KC's 18), and went a mesmerizing 13 for 19 on third down (KC: 4-for-9), racked up 524 yards of O (KC just under 300)  and utterly dominated TOP 44 min to 21 min.  The major reason the Chiefs were in this game was because Brady threw two costly picks (kinda becoming a trend).  But none of that ultimately mattered.  

Mahomes and KC was money on O and boarder-line hapless on D; again, taking out the INTs, they couldn't stop anything and the Pats did whatever they needed to do.  Pats had well over 100 yards rushing and were unstoppable when it mattered most.  The Pats D played an exceptional first half, a far too shaky second, but they rattled Mahomes enough to keep that O under wraps until the end.  

Tom Brady is the greatest football player who has ever lived. 

I think the Rams will be a different team with Gurley and they will have a D that will give Brady fits.  They can also stop the running game.  But maybe this is just a year where Brady gets that 6th Infinity stone... 

1 minute ago, Rockroi said:

Tom Brady is the greatest football player who has ever lived. 

I will fight to the death that Jerry Rice was better.

But QB is the more important position, and Tom Brady is clearly the greatest QB. Fuck.

I feel a little bad for Andy Reid: this was a duel between him and Belichick and Reid was very good... but Belichick is just better. Brady doesn't throw picks like that first one because he has suddenly forgotten how to play; they're basically traps and getting him to fall for them is no small task. That said, the Patriots were clearly more prepared for the first half, but the Chiefs made the necessary adjustments and I'm reasonably confident the game came down to that overtime coin toss. Brady is amazing and it was funny to see him playing the underdog (did anyone seriously believe that?).

I feel even worse for the Saints. On average, there will usually be a few questionable calls in every game (and really, in every sport), but these are usually at least a little debatable. The ever present "Is it a catch?" (which can go either way and most of the time both sides have a plausible case), face mask, holding, the ball being half an inch over or short of a line... the game moves fast, some things are just too close to determine and replay doesn't always help. But look, there are limits. If one were to make a series of videos illustrating flagrant versions of fouls, that hit could be the entry for either "Pass Interference" or "Helmet to Helmet" -- there was nothing subtle or close about it and while it didn't outright decide the game in favor of the Rams, it gave them a chance where they ought to have had none.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

I will fight to the death that Jerry Rice was better.

But QB is the more important position, and Tom Brady is clearly the greatest QB. Fuck.

Yeah, it's kind of at a point where it's not really a debate anymore. He is the best ever at the most important position. Hell I thought the debate was over last year when they made the Superb Owl again, and much like Bill Murray in Ground Hog day we are all waking up to Sonny and Cher on the radio, different year, same AFC team wins AFC title.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Pats-Rams is probably the worst overall outcome for the Owl. The Pats will dust the Rams.

But maybe good overall? Brady got to considering retirement if he wins. He's getting older and slower and another win puts him even further out of sight. 

28 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

But maybe good overall? Brady got to considering retirement if he wins. He's getting older and slower and another win puts him even further out of sight. 

Possibly. I recall hearing a report last year that six championships really matters to Brady because it ties him with Jordan.   

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Possibly. I recall hearing a report last year that six championships really matters to Brady because it ties him with Jordan.   

Now that is a salient point. But if you tie, why not go for the outright win?

Brady is in a healthier place than Drew Brees right now regarding existing arm talent, and the Patriots offense is so prone to evolution as necessary that I have difficulty imagining him ever looking like Peyton Manning's corpse. So while I think it is tempting and quite logical to say 'leave now while you're still undisputed at the top of the mountain', and it always goes fast, Brady in NE is more insulated from reversion to rigamortis than mere mortals.

I'm conflicted at this. Because I definitely would be pro retire camp if I was Tommy's wife, from a legacy protection standpoint, but I would not for a second argue if he believed he's got one more in him.

19 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Not sure if it's corroborated, but at least one site is reporting that Brady walked into the locker room pre-game yesterday and announced to his teammates that he's "the baddest motherf#*ker on the planet."  

I've heard this too, but that it was on Saturday 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Pats-Rams is probably the worst overall outcome for the Owl. The Pats will dust the Rams.

The way this needs to end is way it began, just in reverse. The Patriots built their dynasty by short-circuiting a would be Rams dynasty. Time for the Rams to return the favor. 

They even had their own Tuck Rule moment to get to this point.

*files nails, waits* 

Until yesterday, the only* big upset in the play-offs was CJ Anderson outperforming Gurley.  But then we had two underdog road victories and Tony Romo insightfully predicting play after play.  CJ Anderson outperformed Gurley again but it was just background noise. 

*I cannot count the defending champs, with some defensive players recovered and back playing, narrowly defeating the Bears on a missed FG as a big upset. 

I know lots of neutrals like to hate the Patriots, but that TD drive late in the 4th and again in OT were worthy of champions.  The receiving corps is basically Edelman in the slot and a broken-down Gronk mostly blocking for the run.  Hogan, Patterson and whoever else I’m forgetting did not look like Super Bowl-caliber receivers, but Brady still converted third and long each time.  Even Doug Baldwin and Aaron Rodgers would call that some clutch play. 

And just for extra fun and yelling at my TV, both the Patriots and Chiefs managed two of the most stupid, most self-destructive offside penalties in the last two minutes of regular time.  Avoiding either would have meant outright victory for that team.

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Until yesterday, the only* big upset in the play-offs was CJ Anderson outperforming Gurley.  But then we had two underdog road victories and Tony Romo insightfully predicting play after play.  CJ Anderson outperformed Gurley again but it was just background noise. 

*I cannot count the defending champs, with some defensive players recovered and back playing, narrowly defeating the Bears on a missed FG as a big upset. 

I know lots of neutrals like to hate the Patriots, but that TD drive late in the 4th and again in OT were worthy of champions.  The receiving corps is basically Edelman in the slot and a broken-down Gronk mostly blocking for the run.  Hogan, Patterson and whoever else I’m forgetting did not look like Super Bowl-caliber receivers, but Brady still converted third and long each time.  Even Doug Baldwin and Aaron Rodgers would call that some clutch play. 

And just for extra fun and yelling at my TV, both the Patriots and Chiefs managed two of the most stupid, most self-destructive offside penalties in the last two minutes of regular time.  Avoiding either would have meant outright victory for that team.

Well written. But I may suggest that Gronk (and Brady) were kind of coasting during the regular season. Big man was moving pretty well out there. He definitely has lost a step and flinched away from contact a bit but he didn't look like Frankensteins Monster shambling down the field anymore at least.

Archived