NFL 2019: Wild Card, Mitches!

Jace, Extat

44 minutes ago, Fez said:

Joe Namath, he of the 50.1% career completion percentage, 65.5 career passer rating, 173-220 TD-INT ratio, and 27K career passing yards is in the Hall of Fame.

Why? Because he guaranteed the Jets would upset the Colts in Super Bowl III and that's exactly what happened.

That's really all that needs to be said about who gets into the Hall of Fame.

I admire the forethought of sneaking a Jet in so early as though they anticipated the HoF void that would engulf the franchise for the next 40 years. Didn't realize how dire shit was until I looked. It's really just him and Curtis Martin and a bunch of guys who became HoFers for what they did for other teams and then had a cup of coffee with the Jets (Favre, LdT, Riggins, Ronnie Lott, Jason Taylor) 

And hate to say it, Fez, but Curtis Martin wasn't deserving either. 

18 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Heh. 

I don't think he's the best of the 2010s, mind you. I'm not sure Rodgers is either though - while he looks amazing quite often, his longevity has been shit, and he's never had one of those years that seemed to just take over the league like Brady did in 2007 or Peyton did in his first year with the Broncos. Heck, even Brady has often not been dominant in the 2010s, but he's been good enough that it's hard to say you'd pick anyone else, especially over that time period. 

2011 Aaron Rodgers was insane. Packers were 15-1. Rodgers stat line was 68% completion, 4600 yards, 9.2 ypa, 45 TD/6 Int, 122.5 QB Rating. They lost to the Giants which was a bad game all around but that year was monster from Rodgers.

14 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

And hate to say it, Fez, but Curtis Martin wasn't deserving either. 

Strong disagree. Martin is the 4th leading career rusher by yards and 13th by TDs. He also had over 3,000 receiving yards, which adds up to being the 14th in career all-purpose yards. He had over 1,000 yards rushing every season until his last. His career average of 4.0 yards/attempt isn't the best in the Hall of Fame, but is not the worst either.

There are 32 modern-era running backs and full backs in the Hall of Fame. Martin isn't the best ever but he's solidly in the upper middle and completely deserving of his spot there.

21 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Heh. 

I'm not sure Rodgers is either though - while he looks amazing quite often, his longevity has been shit, and he's never had one of those years that seemed to just take over the league like Brady did in 2007 or Peyton did in his first year with the Broncos. 

Did you miss the year after they won the superbowl? He was absolutely dominant. 

1 minute ago, IamMe90 said:

Did you miss the year after they won the superbowl? He was absolutely dominant. 

I didn't miss it, and it was mentioned, but it didn't break any records, didn't end up in a championship or even a superbowl appearance, and has been hugely eclipsed since. It wasn't as impressive as 2007 Brady, or 2012/13 (I forget which) Manning, or even this year's Mahomes. That's something of a problem when you're talking about it, and that he couldn't sustain it over multiple years is another issue. 

I mean really - if you had to say whether Brady or Rodgers was the best this decade, it wouldn't be a contest, right? Heck, would Rodgers even beat out Brees this decade? 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

I didn't miss it, and it was mentioned, but it didn't break any records, didn't end up in a championship or even a superbowl appearance, and has been hugely eclipsed since. It wasn't as impressive as 2007 Brady, or 2012/13 (I forget which) Manning, or even this year's Mahomes. That's something of a problem when you're talking about it, and that he couldn't sustain it over multiple years is another issue. 

I mean really - if you had to say whether Brady or Rodgers was the best this decade, it wouldn't be a contest, right? Heck, would Rodgers even beat out Brees this decade? 

No, but you didn't say "best," you said top 2 at any given point, and I do think he fits that criterion during that year and possibly 2014 (I don't recall other QB stats for that season though so it's just a hunch, I could easily be wrong). 

3 minutes ago, IamMe90 said:

No, but you didn't say "best," you said top 2 at any given point, and I do think he fits that criterion during that year and possibly 2014 (I don't recall other QB stats for that season though so it's just a hunch, I could easily be wrong). 

I did say top 2, but I was talking about more than one year, and that's where I'm not sure Rodgers fits in due to how much of his career he's been injured and/or playing with garbage. Or being eclipsed by, well, better QBs. His problem is that he started at the apex of Peyton's success, had his best day during a small window between Brady and Peyton, and then didn't ever do better than any of Brady, Peyton or Brees. He's an absolutely incredible QB, but I don't know if you make him an all-time great either. 

39 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I did say top 2, but I was talking about more than one year, and that's where I'm not sure Rodgers fits in due to how much of his career he's been injured and/or playing with garbage.

This is a blatant overstatement.  Since he took over in 2008, Rodgers has started at least 15 games in 9 of 11 seasons.  The other two he still managed 9 and 7 games.  That's actually really impressive health for a quarterback.  And he had the third best QBR ranked season ever in 2011, as well as 7 of those 11 seasons posting a >100 traditional QB rating (granted, that measure is shit, but still gives a general idea rather than regurgitating a bunch of stats).  Rodgers has clearly been elite for most of his career, it's silly to argue otherwise.

4 hours ago, Fez said:

Strong disagree. Martin is the 4th leading career rusher by yards and 13th by TDs. He also had over 3,000 receiving yards, which adds up to being the 14th in career all-purpose yards. He had over 1,000 yards rushing every season until his last. His career average of 4.0 yards/attempt isn't the best in the Hall of Fame, but is not the worst either.

There are 32 modern-era running backs and full backs in the Hall of Fame. Martin isn't the best ever but he's solidly in the upper middle and completely deserving of his spot there.

I've been on record for this before. I think Martin belongs in the Hall of the Good. If you need the 6th best RB in the NFL over a 13 year stretch, he's your guy. 

But give me 3 years of an elite, game-changing, defensive scheme altering Terrell Davis over Curtis Martin any day of the week. 

8 hours ago, Kalbear said:

He's an absolutely incredible QB, but I don't know if you make him an all-time great either. 

Dude, Rodgers is the best QB we've ever seen play, and that's coming from a life long Vikings fan. 

6 hours ago, Jaime L said:

I've been on record for this before. I think Martin belongs in the Hall of the Good. If you need the 6th best RB in the NFL over a 13 year stretch, he's your guy. 

But give me 3 years of an elite, game-changing, defensive scheme altering Terrell Davis over Curtis Martin any day of the week. 

So you do agree, Moss > Rice. Thanks buddy! :thumbsup:

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Dude, Rodgers is the best QB we've ever seen play, and that's coming from a life long Vikings fan. 

Yeah, not so much IMO.

Montana, PFManning and Brady are all better, just to name a few I have seen.

I don't even understand how you can type that Rodgers is better than Brady, your keyboard should smack you for trying.

4 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Yeah, not so much IMO.

Montana, PFManning and Brady are all better, just to name a few I have seen.

I don't even understand how you can type that Rodgers is better than Brady, your keyboard should smack you for trying.

Flip their situations. Who is more likely to match the other's performance? For me, it's not even close. And that's how I grade QBs when ranking them against one another. McCarthy is terrible at offensive schematics. Belichick has done a great job at hiding Brady's aging. Rodgers is clearly the better QB to me. Brady is the greater one though because he's had more success. 

Archived