U.S. Politics: Phantom of the Emergency

DMC

WSJ reports Trump won't declare national emergency in his speech tonight:

President Trump isn’t expected to declare a national emergency at the southern border when he addresses the nation Tuesday night about his request for funding for his long-promised wall along the U.S.-Mexico boundary, according to a person who has reviewed drafts of the speech.

The president’s speech didn’t include any declaration of a national emergency, according to the person.

It's never certain with Trump of course, but there's been a lot of leaks that he's not declaring a state of emergency tonight. And all eight congressional leaders have been invited to the White House tomorrow, that seems like something that would not happen if a SoE was declared.

One good guess I saw is that Trump will declare that's he reallocating about $400 million in DoD funding to build a wall/fence along the side of an Air Force targeting range that runs along the border for 30 something miles. And that'll be enough to be enough for him to declare victory.

25 minutes ago, Fez said:

One good guess I saw is that Trump will declare that's he reallocating about $400 million in DoD funding to build a wall/fence along the side of an Air Force targeting range that runs along the border for 30 something miles.

Interesting - it's certainly possible the administration could find some DoD funding that Trump could have discretionary authority over without declaring an emergency - you got a link for that?  Could be that's why he publicly "hasn't decided" on declaring an emergency while his staff is busy trying to find money (I know, that would assume competence).

2 hours ago, DMC said:

This issue isn't really whether or how long he declares a state of emergency, but how much, and what, he does with the powers that affords him.

They go hand in hand. The longer it goes, the more time he’ll have to probe and see what he can get away, and I’m guessing that would be quite a lot if the courts don’t stop him.

The oppposition party's opposition to the wall was to instead talk about border security while never once mentioning the kids that have died in ICE custody.

God the Dems really suck. 

They're not full on white supremacists like Trump and the GOP. They're just xenophobic.

If anyone is interested, the local paper published my thoughts on immigration and the wall written from the point of view of the son of an immigrant.

They took a free hand in editing my original piece of course, and most of what they cut out I pretty much agree with, I got pretty verbose, though I do wish they had not cut out the part where I mentioned border officials putting people in camps, separating families and allowing children to die.

If you do read it, thank you, I appreciate it.

Just watched highlights of the speech (I can't stand to watch even 10 minutes of him).  Seemed very tame and un-Trumplike.  Definitely seems more like a guy in a defensive posture than about to be defiant and invoke emergency powers.  Of course, that could change by tomorrow morning when he goes for his daily tweetshit.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Just watched highlights of the speech (I can't stand to watch even 10 minutes of him).  Seemed very tame and un-Trumplike.  Definitely seems more like a guy in a defensive posture than about to be defiant and invoke emergency powers.  Of course, that could change by tomorrow morning when he goes for his daily tweetshit.

At an otr gathering an hour or so before the presser he said he didn’t want to do it (or go to Texas) but was talked into it by/humouring his people. 

32 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

At an otr gathering an hour or so before the presser he said he didn’t want to do it (or go to Texas) but was talked into it by/humouring his people. 

Yeah, gotta agree with Trump there - they are both pointless.

I think its pretty hilarious that somebody like AOC gets attacked as wild eyed "unrealistic" lefty, but yet we have a government shutdown over a problem that really is the result of conservatives over active imaginations.
There really is no immigration problem, other than ones Trump has created, and the band of knuckleheads that support him and think we should "hurt the right people".

https://www.vox.com/2018/12/28/18158873/wall-shutdown-trump-dreamers-deal

Spending billions of dollars to build hundreds of miles of additional walling — or “steel slats” or whatever you want to call it — on the US-Mexico border is a bad idea. That’s a critical, underrated feature of the current standoff that has led President Trump to partially shut down the government.

Meanwhile, over the past 10 years, the rise of export-oriented manufacturing jobs in Mexico plus shifting Mexican demographics has greatly reduced the number of Mexicans who want to come to the United States to work illegally, while the rollout of the Real ID program has made it harder to work illegally. The combined result is that the size of the undocumented immigrant population is falling, driven almost entirely by a million fewer undocumented Mexican nationals living in the United States.

There remain many foreign-born people living illegally in the United States, but nearly two-thirds of them have been here for more than 10 years, and the Pew Research Center estimates that a majority of new unauthorized arrivals initially entered the United States with a valid visa rather than sneaking across a border.

Donald Trump Jr. Says Border Wall Is Like A Zoo Fence Protecting You From Animals
Critics slammed the president’s son over the Instagram message.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-jr-zoo-fence_us_5c3588b4e4b0dbd06601767b

Donald Trump Jr. is getting called out for an Instagram message he posted that compared the proposed border wall to a zoo fence. 

“You know why you can enjoy a day at the zoo?” the son of President Donald Trump wrote in an Instagram story on Tuesday night. “Because walls work.”

Archived