The Orville Season 2

Ser Scot A Ellison

On 4/20/2019 at 6:39 PM, Toth said:

It's more of a "make stuff up as you go along" type of thing, but TOS started the same way. It is nice to see it evolve into a setting of its own.

Then again, the latest episode wasn't really up to speed again. The Thomas Riker stuff was cheesy enough for them to copy it to the  letter, but Ed/Kelly will they/won't they is certainly the weakest and most annoying part of the show. Please stop doing episodes like this, they are boring beyond belief and utterly undermined the first return of the Kaylon after a while, here becoming nothing but a background obstacle (that is at least not given the Voyager-Borg shafting at least).

At least the effects were nice.

While I agree that relationship stuff is getting a little old (this ep took me 2x20min viewings to get through), I gotta say I really enjoyed the

Spoiler

subversion at the end.

Was completely expecting future Kelly to be coming out with a one liner making you wonder if she remembers, which is so how TNG would've done it... But no, fractured timeline, no happy ending.

30 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Holy shit this is a terrific show.... last week's "meh" of a show has a huge payoff....

Did it? I'm a week behind, and just finished last week's and while I didn't think it was spectacular, I really enjoyed the full twist on the TNG episode...honestly, I thought it was going to be a riff on a straight time travel story, not the clone-esque one it was...

47 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Did it? I'm a week behind, and just finished last week's and while I didn't think it was spectacular, I really enjoyed the full twist on the TNG episode...honestly, I thought it was going to be a riff on a straight time travel story, not the clone-esque one it was...

It did, IMO anyway.... hope you agree when you watch....lol

Oh... stealthy two-parter was pretty unexpected and impressive. So it suddenly became Voyager's "Timeless". With extremely good visuals to boot. Though I must admit, I was a bit disappointed by how they...

Spoiler

brought back Alara for just 2 minutes of screen time...

Also the soundtrack this time around had a distinct Star Wars feel...

(has anyone else noticed that the scavenger freighter's cockpit was just a redecorated shuttle cockpit? It's especially jarring because we see the entire cast standing in pretty much the exact same places whenever they switch between the two. I'm also a bit irritated that we haven't seen any more crew of it... or that they apparently abandoned it at Earth and not took it with them for the final 'battle').

7 hours ago, Toth said:

I must admit, I was a bit disappointed by how they...

More would have been nice, yes, but I was happy we got anything.

7 hours ago, Toth said:

I'm also a bit irritated that we haven't seen any more crew of it... or that they apparently abandoned it at Earth and not took it with them for the final 'battle').

Did it have any more crew? I got the impression it was just a skeleton operation, in which case they didn't have any choice about abandoning it; and it wouldn't have helped at the end anyway.

It's a pity alt-Dr Finn didn't stick around afterwards; having someone who remembers what happened would make it seem less inconsequential, and they could have done interesting things with her in future.

54 minutes ago, felice said:

Did it have any more crew? I got the impression it was just a skeleton operation, in which case they didn't have any choice about abandoning it; and it wouldn't have helped at the end anyway.

Yeah, it is quite possible it had only these few people, but then again, it was of comparable size to the Orville. It seems unlikely to get around with just a tiny fraction of its staff.

But yes, it wouldn't have helped. I like to think that they used it to send everyone non-essential for the mission into hiding.

(though I am a bit iffed that they also didn't get to take any of the resistance people with them to repair and crew the Orville... it doesn't seem quite right with how few people everything got operated here...)

• 3 weeks later...

Endgame has kind of set a new bar for how soft-sci fi incorporates time travel. It's possibly a little unfair on The Orville  because it pre-dates Endgame, but Endgame aside I really was not a fan of how they dealt with time travel at the end, and that was before I saw Endgame. Now after seeing Endgame it was downright embarassing and lazy.

On 5/17/2019 at 5:15 AM, The Anti-Targ said:

Endgame has kind of set a new bar for how soft-sci fi incorporates time travel.

Uh, what? :huh:

I really don't see how Endgame is any better than Orville as far as time travel is concerned. I agree Orville's take on it was a mess (so many paradoxes... ), but Endgame's was just a -slightly better- variation of the classic multiverse trope.
I personally favor the loop trope over all others ; imho it's the one that avoids paradoxes without being as "easy" as the multiverse.

Archived