Cricket 34: Bring Your Own Sandpaper

Paxter

33 minutes ago, williamjm said:

They've managed to get in to three figures now, which I suppose is progress of a sort compared to the last match.

In fairness, having come home from work and actually watched a bit of the cricket, conditions are pretty tough. 187 isn't brilliant but it hasn't been a terrible batting performance either.

Impressive by the Windies. Given that they've been mediocre to average at Test level for a long time now, I wasn't expecting them to roll over England and quite easily to boot. Terrible effort from England with the bat in both matches. This pitch was a bit of a graveyard for batsmen but at least the West Indies top order applied themselves well, occupied the crease and ground out the runs on a difficult wicket. 

Just watched the final T20 between India and New Zealand - that was an absolutely crazy game.

NZ score 213 and win by 4 runs, India falling agonisingly short. The required rate was an outlandish 48 from 18 when Krunal Pandya and Dinesh Karthik began bombing sixes everywhere, got it down to 16 from the last over and hit a six off the last ball but just didn't get there.

You feel sorry for the bowlers in those sorts of matches - even a single seems like a win for the bowler - but they certainly are a spectacle to watch.

On 2/11/2019 at 6:12 AM, ljkeane said:

So it turns out playing a fast bowler in the West Indies is a good idea. Who’d have thought?

Haha. That was a crazy series. Kudos to Holder and the West Indies. And kudos to Root for standing up against homophobia!

South Africa appear to be struggling slightly against Sri Lanka. Surprising and a little concerning given the low ebb of Sri Lankan cricket at the moment. 

Magnificent innings from Kusal Perera to see SL to victory by 1 wicket. South Africa completely threw this Test away by first capitulating in our 2nd innings leaving us about 50-80 runs short and then having SL at 226/9 (78 runs still to get) and failing to pick up that final wicket. 

And in another stunning meltdown, the Melbourne Stars completely throw away the BBL title. Chasing a modest target and at 0/93, requiring 53 runs off 43 balls, with 10 wickets in hand, they somehow contrive to be bowled out and lose the grand final.

Absolutely incredible from Sri Lanka. Is there any innings that comes close to that in terms of a fourth innings ton to win a test match? Maybe Gilchrist against Pakistan? But that was at home. I can’t think of a better performance in those circumstances.

Very meh about the BBL this season. It’s gone right back to the pack as far as I’m concerned.

5 hours ago, Paxter said:

Absolutely incredible from Sri Lanka. Is there any innings that comes close to that in terms of a fourth innings ton to win a test match? Maybe Gilchrist against Pakistan? But that was at home. I can’t think of a better performance in those circumstances.

I've seen some comparisons to Brian Lara scoring 153* against Australia. That was also at home, but Courtney Walsh isn't really the batsman you'd want at the other end in such a situation, and they did have to face an attack lead by McGrath and Warne.

I think Perera's innings is probably more impressive because he's still establishing himself in Test cricket, it's less surprising when the best batsman in the world manages such an innings.

13 hours ago, Paxter said:

Very meh about the BBL this season. It’s gone right back to the pack as far as I’m concerned.

There's been a bit of oversaturation of the BBL. If they halved the number of matches so that it was a single round robin (instead of double round robin, home/away) and then rejigged the final series (1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th, loser of 1st vs 2nd gets a second chance to play winner of 3rd/4th) I think that would help the structure.

With that BBL final, if it had happened in Pakistan everyone would be screaming match fixing!

Still not as bad as this match though..,.

3 hours ago, Jeor said:

There's been a bit of oversaturation of the BBL. If they halved the number of matches so that it was a single round robin (instead of double round robin, home/away) and then rejigged the final series (1st vs 2nd, 3rd vs 4th, loser of 1st vs 2nd gets a second chance to play winner of 3rd/4th) I think that would help the structure.

I think you're right, but there are a few other problems including:

• Not enough top Aussie players in the comp (c.f. the IPL, where all the Indian stars play)
  • Relatively low-quality foreign imports (apart from RK), as the likes of De Villiers play the BPL
  • The new broadcasting deal, which locks in the current surfeit of games, as well as fragmenting the audience

Well that was unexpected. Sri Lanka whitewash South Africa away from home after earlier slumping to consecutive defeats against England, NZ and Australia. I wish I'd had some money on that series result!

Meanwhile the West Indies are looking pretty good against England. Could be a smokey for the WC?

17 hours ago, Paxter said:

Well that was unexpected. Sri Lanka whitewash South Africa away from home after earlier slumping to consecutive defeats against England, NZ and Australia. I wish I'd had some money on that series result!

It is probably one of the biggest shock series victories. Considering no Asian team had previously won a series in South Africa I don't think anyone would have thought this Sri Lankan side would have been the one to do it. Maybe South Africa underestimated them?

Meanwhile the West Indies are looking pretty good against England. Could be a smokey for the WC?

With the players they have they are definitely plausible contenders. I think the only thing I'm certain of is that England will somehow manage to mess things up at some point and not win the tournament.

Archived