Cricket 34: Bring Your Own Sandpaper

Paxter

Tamim not a long way off scoring a hundred in a session on the first morning in Hamilton. It'll be interesting to see if Bangladesh can put in a good fight on this tour. NZ have been dominant at home recently.

A shame Williamson declared there - Bangladesh aren't going to bat two and a half days to save a match, and there was the potential for even further record breaking.

(This is the first time New Zealand has cracked 700 in a test match. It's also the fourth highest first class score in New Zealand).

Good fightback by Bangladesh. They were never going to get out of that, but 429 wasn't a bad effort*. It's also the sixth highest score by a team that lost by the match by an innings:

1. 477 (England vs India, 2016) (First innings)
  2. 463 (West Indies vs India, 2011) (Second innings)
  3. 459 (India vs South Africa, 2010) (Second innings)
  4. 434 (South Africa vs Sri Lanka, 2006) (Second innings)
  5. 432 (England vs Australia, 2001) (First innings)
  6. 429 (Bangladesh vs New Zealand, 2019) (Second innings)

Turns out that the top nine scores on this list are all after the turn of the millennium. Big scores in a crushing defeat is a twenty-first century thing.

*Helped by the pitch. New Zealand pitches seem to get more batsman friendly as the match goes on.

I’m glad Jeet Raval finally made it to three figures. He looks quite an accomplished and patient bat - just the sort of opener New Zealand need after experiments with the more flamboyant Guptill and Rutherford.

• 2 weeks later...

Current test rankings:

1. India
  2. New Zealand
  3. South Africa
  4. Australia
  5. England
  6. Sri Lanka
  7. Pakistan
  8. West Indies
  9. Bangladesh
  10. Zimbabwe

There is some vaguely amiss though at New Zealand being #2 (courtesy largely of Sri Lanka beating South Africa), but playing fewer tests than anyone except Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. 

What an event for the Bangladesh team to be caught up in. I read that they arrived late to prayers and so were not inside the mosque when the shootings began. Crazy. 

A surprise ahead of the World Cup with Australia coming from 2-0 down to defeat India away from home. I'm not reading too much into it given that Australia will face very different conditions in England, but it does raise a few questions given that no one was really talking Australia up as contender a month or so ago. 

• 1 month later...

Necro-ing this thread with a weird story out of Aus: James Faulkner had to make a hasty correction to an Instagram post to clarify that he is not, as was reported across the world, coming out as gay. 

At least we do have (at least one!) openly gay international cricketer already - though he only got a few caps for England in the early 2010s.

6 hours ago, Paxter said:

Necro-ing this thread with a weird story out of Aus: James Faulkner had to make a hasty correction to an Instagram post to clarify that he is not, as was reported across the world, coming out as gay.

In fairness it's not that unusual for close friends to jokingly refer to themselves as being in a relationship in my experience. It's probably a little bit of indictment of modern social media how quickly there was a rush to come to conclusions that it's become an actual news story.

Anyway, there's a little bit of turmoil around England's ODI squad in the run up to the World Cup. Hales has been dropped from the squad for undisclosed reasons but probably because of recreational drug use. It seems a little harsh if his ban is over by the World Cup.

17 hours ago, ljkeane said:

In fairness it's not that unusual for close friends to jokingly refer to themselves as being in a relationship in my experience. It's probably a little bit of indictment of modern social media how quickly there was a rush to come to conclusions that it's become an actual news story.

Anyway, there's a little bit of turmoil around England's ODI squad in the run up to the World Cup. Hales has been dropped from the squad for undisclosed reasons but probably because of recreational drug use. It seems a little harsh if his ban is over by the World Cup.

Yeah, for the record, I didn't have a problem with Faulkner's post myself. I think you're spot on about the overreaction. 

On 5/5/2019 at 11:59 PM, ljkeane said:

This is the first time I’ve seen Jofra Archer. I don’t want to jump to conclusions based on a very small sample but he looks decent. He certainly makes bowling 90 mph look very easy.

Great player. I know it's harsh, but if it comes down to playing a warhorse like Plunkett or Archer...I'd go for Archer every day of the week. 

I think this World Cup is really well set up actually. There are no true 'minnows' this time around, with the likes of Afghanistan likely to cause an upset or two. And even though England are favourites and deservedly the top-ranked ODI side, there is no reason that any of the other teams couldn't get red hot in the finals and win the tournament. 

Pretty amazing that Pant is not in India's WC squad. I know Dhoni is a talisman, but Pant has had a great IPL and is clearly one of the best WK-batsmen going around international cricket. Crazy stuff. 

It’s a pretty flat pitch but England’s bowlers aren’t exactly tearing it up in the don’t get dropped from the World Cup squad for Archer stakes.

Heh, and a wicket as I’m writing this post. Oh well, I’ll stick with it anyway.

What a game that was. A pity I had to go to bed just as it was getting interesting (Pakistan were about 1/120 or so when it hit 2:30am here and I figured sleep would win out regardless).

Pakistan are a real sleeper in the tournament. Their bowling was pretty average but there's no doubt they have the talent, and their batting showed that they could do it. If they can get firing on all fronts they could be a real handful.

As Pax said it's like that for most sides...almost everyone is in with a shot. England would be the frontrunners but that's based on the past couple of years, whereas in a World Cup someone else can get hot at the right time.

Have people been keeping up with this whole Archer & the way he's talked about by the pundits? I'm only just catching up to it all right now 

England have always had foreign-born cricketers – so why would Jofra Archer have any effect on the team’s ‘culture’

Then there's the whole thing about Agnew & his tirade against that article. Edit: I didn't realize Agnew was such a muppet 

I think the article from Liew is rubbish. He's a good writer but I think he's just drumming up controversy to attract attention. The language around Archer coming into the World Cup squad is different to the other examples he uses because it's a different situation. This England ODI team is pretty much unprecedentedly successful for England and the restrictions around World Cup squad places make dropping someone a different matter than bringing someone in for a bilateral series. There are plenty of other players from a Caribbean background who have played for England if Liew had examples of them being talked about in a similar way he'd have more of a point but I don't remember that being the case.

So, yeah, I can understand Agnew being irritated with the article but his response goes over line. Apparently he's got a bit of a track record for reacting in a similar manner to be criticised which isn't great. He probably needs to be reprimanded in some way by the BBC.

Speaking of Archer it looks like England have made their decision about him playing in the World Cup. If there was still doubt about it either way you’d think they’d be playing him today. I expect the decision is they’re picking him given how good he’s looked.

It looks like Pakistan have made a decision the other way about Yasir Shah too.

• 2 weeks later...

This might be the most low key England - Australia game I've ever seen. England have bowled ok but Wood pulled up mid over and went off which isn't ideal. He didn't look too worried though so hopefully it isn't too bad.

Good win for Afghanistan against Pakistan yesterday as well.

ETA: England have got Paul Collingwood out there as a substitute fielder. That’s a blast from the past. :lol:

ETA2: India have been bowled out for 179 at The Oval. That's a bit of a surprise. I suppose with their batting relying quite heavily on their top order they're particularly vulnerable if they lose early wickets.

Archived