Cricket 34: Bring Your Own Sandpaper

Paxter

11 hours ago, Paxter said:

The other surprise to me has been the dominance of sides batting first.

Yes, this is a surprise. Given English wickets you would have thought there'd be a bit of juice or grass in the pitch for the opening hour of the match that the bowlers could have used. And teams like England and India have built their success around preferring to chase totals. The rise of T20 should have also made people more familiar with chasing and dealing with high required run rates. 

I can't think of a reason why it would be the other way around now, but maybe the extra nerves and higher stakes in a World Cup gives greater weighting to getting something on the board first, rather the uncertainty of a chase? Admittedly a flimsy reason, but we're quite a few games in now so it's probably not a complete freak statistical occurrence.

2 hours ago, Paxter said:

Windies stunned as Bangladesh chase down 322 in just 42 overs! Great result for the Tigers.

It is a great result for Bangladesh and keeps them in contention for a semi-final place, although that would probably require one of the current top 4 to slip up.

It would be great for Bangladesh to get a semifinal berth. The team, at least in an ODI sense, has been well and truly out of minnow status for a few years now, and this would be a good way of cementing that in everyone's minds.

12 hours ago, Paxter said:

Windies stunned as Bangladesh chase down 322 in just 42 overs! Great result for the Tigers.

Went to bed thinking Bangladesh would struggle, woke up to find they’d waltzed it in. 

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

James Vince with a nice looking 26. Who could have predicted something like that?

You could say that England picked the right guy, a pretty and stylish 26 was just what they needed as the entree to the Root and Morgan.

I stand by my earlier comments about Morgan being a great middle-order batsman and chameleon who can knock them around or smash them as dictated by circumstances. He's hit 9 sixes and is now 87 off 53 balls.

England showing why they are the tournament favourites and the top-ranked team. I just wonder whether they will have the coolness under pressure in the knockout games that former winners India and Australia have.

Agh, more rain. New Zealand vs South Africa should be a good game. I know the Saffers have been rubbish, but I also want to see if NZ are the real deal. They've won 3 out of 4 (with an India washout) and their last four games include Windies, Australia and England. If they can get some positive results in those last games they could go into the semis with real momentum.

18 hours ago, Paxter said:

England showing why they are the tournament favourites and the top-ranked team. I just wonder whether they will have the coolness under pressure in the knockout games that former winners India and Australia have.

I think they will.

They've learned from previous collapses and somebody usually steps up (with bat or ball).

Final four look like England, India, Australia and New Zealand to me.

You Aussies better stock up on some tissues for Thursday night and let your mum know that they'll have to put back together your shattered existence after the match :box:

31 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Final four look like England, India, Australia and New Zealand to me.

You misspelled Bangladesh there :P

Saffers doing it tough against NZ. The NZ bowling attack is really quite well suited to English conditions. Boult would be good anywhere, but the sheer pace of Ferguson and the fact that even medium pace de Grandhomme is getting appreciable swing show they've got a good attack when you also throw Santner's decent spin option in there.

Need the Saffers to get their shit together today. Kiwis need to drop some points.

45 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Dhawan out of the Cup. I think that’s a big blow as he’s such a clutch player.

India is so stacked in batting depth it's disgusting. One of the only team that can take a hit like that and just shrug it off. I expect Rahul will open and Rahane will come in middle order. Unless they go for an explosive player, or maybe even Jadeja to bolster both batting and bowling.

edit. Amla gone as i type, dammit

Archived