Cricket 34: Bring Your Own Sandpaper

Paxter

10 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

They've actually been better chasing generally. I think it's just the pressure of the World Cup getting to them.

Oh yes, I was referring mainly to this tournament. They lost the warm up game to Australia and lost the game to Pakistan when chasing. Admittedly both chases got pretty close but they were always a bit behind the 8 ball. Then they wilted under a middling Sri Lankan total. All their recent losses have been chasing.

But generally over the past couple of years Morgan has shaped them into a very successful side, so of course they can chase successfully - just not recently.

Waiting for Lyon to bowl before I go to bed!

9 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

That and playing Australia.  And the fact they've left themselves a big task at the end of the group stage.  And poor Vince under huge pressure for his temporary spot.  Morgan, though - no need for that.

Their record against Aus recently is incredibly good though - I think 10 victories from the last 11 contests?

This would be a real boilover again. I had some money on Australia at about $2.50 :).

ETA: I'm feeling the pain of the time zones. It's going to be maddening following the Ashes while I'm at work.

1 minute ago, Paxter said:

Their record against Aus recently is incredibly good though - I think 10 victories from the last 11 contests?

Tell them that! ;) They should have no fear of Australia - but I think it's more the occasion.  This has been built up to be our equivalent of India v Pakistan, with possibly higher stakes within this competition.

3 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Tell them that! ;) They should have no fear of Australia - but I think it's more the occasion.  This has been built up to be our equivalent of India v Pakistan, with possibly higher stakes within this competition.

A lot of this comes back to Australia peaking at the right time. Langer has been in the job for a while now and is starting to instil the ethos that served him so well when coaching Western Australia.

My sister once worked at the WACA and I had the chance to go in to Langer's office and meet some of the senior staff. His office was littered with inspirational quotes and mantras hand-written on small signs and post-it notes. The guy is one tenacious and driven mofo.

I also think we have to acknowledge Warner in this tournament. He comes in from a year off and tops the run-scoring (with Al-Hasan) with ease.

5 minutes ago, Paxter said:

ETA: I'm feeling the pain of the time zones. It's going to be maddening following the Ashes while I'm at work.

Same! I have to be awake again in 6 hours and it's not halfway through the working week...

2 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Same! I have to be awake again in 6 hours and it's not halfway through the working week...

Worth it though!

Also...the cricket thread is HOT! according to the board. Lol.

ETA: Four down! The fat lady is surely singing now. Long batting order or no, this is a disaster.

1 minute ago, Paxter said:

A lot of this comes back to Australia peaking at the right time. Langer has been in the job for a while now and is starting to instil the ethos that served him so well when coaching Western Australia.

My sister once worked at the WACA and I had the chance to go in to Langer's office and meet some of the senior staff. His office was littered with inspirational quotes and mantras hand-written on small signs and post-it notes. The guy is one tenacious and driven mofo.

He does come across that way.  I think he's what Australia need right now.  He's tough, well-spoken, respectful, and he's always come across as having integrity.  All things the Aussies need.  

2 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

He does come across that way.  I think he's what Australia need right now.  He's tough, well-spoken, respectful, and he's always come across as having integrity.  All things the Aussies need.  

Exactly. He's almost the polar opposite to Lehmann. That guy has a lot to answer for in my view. He got off rather lightly in the fallout from sandpapergate.

ETA: I feel sorry for Stokes. I know he has had his own troubles and has let the team down a lot at times, but he always seems to be the only sensible one when England have these implosions.

Just now, Paxter said:

Exactly. He's almost the polar opposite to Lehmann. That guy has a lot to answer for in my view. He got off rather lightly in the fallout from sandpapergate.

He really did.  I suspect the bad reputation of the Aussie team over the past few years was more down to him than Warner (who I'm no fan of at all) - at the very least Lehmann seemed to do nothing to discourage it.  Langer has already brought some honour back to the baggy greens.

Behrendorff bowling through 7 overs, Finch has heard my advice. Great spell from him. The problem is you always have to hide his other spell somewhere as his medium pace length ball isn't good at the death or in the middle overs where it doesn't swing. Probably won't be an issue in this match but he's worth the opening spell in English swinging conditions.

Must be all over for England now. Bangladesh are breathing down their necks in the race for the semi-finals!

I've got to hand it to Australia. They were highly unfancied in the lead-up to this tournament but they are really firing now. And they won today despite no material contributions from big hitters like The Big Show and Stoinis.

This is a bit of a disaster for England. They've spent 4 years focusing on 50 over cricket to the detriment of the test side to build up to this World Cup and they've managed to get themselves into the well earned position of favourites. Now it's come down to it they're falling apart.

Alastair Cook didn't die for this!

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

This is a bit of a disaster for England. They've spent 4 years focusing on 50 over cricket to the detriment of the test side to build up to this World Cup and they've managed to get themselves into the well earned position of favourites. Now it's come down to it they're falling apart.

Alastair Cook didn't die for this!

Yeah agreed. Their much-vaunted mantra of 'backing our batsmen to dominate and score quickly' has backfired spectacularly. What they've needed in this WC is less fireworks and more old-fashioned, responsible run-chasing.

Perhaps England and South Africa should just cut their losses and not worry about World Cups. Let Australia and the subcontinental teams duke it out amongst themselves :P.

Bunch of tough games coming up for India. I am wary.  Could see us easily losing a couple in our next three games. Moeen breaking our hearts again, to be fair, he got a pretty good delivery.

Stokes is awesome.  No idea what happened to everyone else.  They need to take a deep breath, re-compose themselves and regain their focus.  It would be such a shame for years of hard work to fizzle out in this panicked shambolic mess.  Focus, boys!

England should still have a good chance of qualifying for the semis, they only have to win one match out of the NZ/India games and they should be okay. They've got a good NRR which helps. Even if they don't win one of those two spots I think they can still qualify if other results go their way.

The onus is on Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh to pick up the wins if they want to be in the hunt for the last spot. The washouts have helped them get some points they otherwise wouldn't have snagged, but South Africa and the Windies could still take points off them and ruin their chances. Also, the Pakistan/Bangladesh game now looks like it will be crucial.

The tournament is starting to heat up after all!

Australia are a great tournament side, they seem to rise to the pressure - Warner and Finch are the two top-scoring batsmen in the tournament and Starc is the leading wicket-taker. Compared to their ordinary run of 10 losses in 11 against England, it means nothing in the tournament here. And that's without Australia having completely fired either - the middle order still has some issues, and they haven't settled on that 3rd paceman or the spinner. Australia and India are the teams to beat.

NZ vs Pakistan will be interesting. NZ can put a significant dent in Pakistan's hopes (and also secure a semifinal place) with a win but Pakistan will be given a new lease on life with England faltering. NZ have had an easy run so far - wins against Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, South Africa, and that entertaining win against the Windies. But they got a washout against India and have to finish up playing Pakistan, Australia and England. It'll be a good test to see if they are the real deal.

Archived