Cricket 34: Bring Your Own Sandpaper

Paxter

14 hours ago, ljkeane said:

This might be the most low key England - Australia game I've ever seen. England have bowled ok but Wood pulled up mid over and went off which isn't ideal. He didn't look too worried though so hopefully it isn't too bad.

Aussie fans are still recovering from the sandpaper gate and trying to figure out if its too soon to start talking shit again :lol:

edit: admit it, you miss the trashy aussie fans as it allowed the england fans to take the high road :P

7 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Aussie fans are still recovering from the sandpaper gate and trying to figure out if its too soon to start talking shit again :lol:

edit: admit it, you miss the trashy aussie fans as it allowed the england fans to take the high road :P

I meant more that the stands were half full and Sky hadn't even bothered putting it on one of their main sports channels but, yeah, that too. :lol:

Not the best of warm ups in the end for England. It seems like about half the team are injured now and, even though they were missing a couple of first choice batsmen, pretty much the point of how England play is that they're supposed to be able to chase down sub 300 totals with ease. If they're not going to be doing that in this tournament that's a big concern.

More positives from Australia's point of view. Their bowling did really well against a still pretty strong England batting lineup even missing Starc and Cummins and Smith batted well. I'd still be a little concerned about their batting overall though. England rested probably their 3 best bowlers in Woakes, Rashid and Archer and then Wood getting injured messed up the balance of the attack they did go with. I'm pretty confident the plan wasn't to have Plunkett and Stokes doing a significant amount of their death bowling. Australia probably need to be getting more runs than they did in those sort of circumstances.Ā 

On 5/27/2019 at 2:06 AM, The Winged Shadow said:

All these washout matches don't bode well. How shit is the weather around this time at UK? What are the likelihood of lots ofĀ cancelled matches?

I think at any time of year in Britain there's a risk of rain delays. Since the tournament lasts for over a month I'm sure there will be some bad weather around at some point.

I like the England kit myself!

A pretty decent score from England without being much above par. I think South Africa will probably struggle to get there without a good start. First 15 overs of the chase will be crucial.

4 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Not a fan of England's skyblue jersey. Way too many blue-ey jerseys.

I like it. Classic England World Cup colour.

Not a terrible score from England but itā€™s not exactly the kind of total theyā€™d have wanted to post batting first at the Oval. This is an early test for Englandā€™s slightly maligned bowling lineup.

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Archer is just a pure joy to watch. I donā€™t even care how good his figures are: this guy should be playing as much international cricket as possible.

I think you might be seeing quite at bit more of him. At this rate Iā€™ll be surprised if England donā€™t pick him for the Ashes.

Ā Iā€™m not entirely sure South Africa should be sending Amla back out here. I suppose theyā€™ve had a lot of time to assess him but sending someone whoā€™s potentially got concussion back out to face Archer bowling over 90 mph is a big risk.

5 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I like it. Classic England World Cup colour.

It does have a retro feel to it.

Not a terrible score from England but itā€™s not exactly the kind of total theyā€™d have wanted to post batting first at the Oval. This is an early test for Englandā€™s slightly maligned bowling lineup.

I think in the end they'll be very satisfied with the overall performance, since it shows they're not just reliant on batting fireworks. It was a decent batting effort but I think it was a par score in the end.

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I think you might be seeing quite at bit more of him. At this rate Iā€™ll be surprised if England donā€™t pick him for the Ashes.

It's the first time I've had a chance to see him in action, and he does look like a great prospect. I think it seems very likely we'll him making his Test debut in the match against Ireland, and probably in the Ashes afterwards. That sort of genuine pace will be hard for the selectors to resist, and he seems to have a good first class record.

I still can't quite believe Stokes managed to pull off that catch.

Well done England. That was potentially a banana-skin game for them - nobody really expects South Africa toĀ perform well this time around but they are still capable of pulling off an upset.

It will be interesting to see how quickly the teams separate in this tournament. There is a chance that the likes of England, India and Australia will pull ahead quite quickly, leaving the remaining teams to duke it out for fourth spot. But thereā€™s equally a chance that we will see a real dog fight for all of the finals places.

9 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

At this rate, not as long as it will be for Pakistani supporters......

edit: was pakistan always this bad at short balls? I mean Windies are bowling with pace, but it's not 150+ or anything....

The short ball does seem to be the most effective strategy so far in the tournament.

It was a very poor performance from Pakistan. At least Amir seemed to bowl well, but it's difficult to find anything else positive about it.

Archived