Mya's memory of her father is like GRRM's memory of his grandfather

Seams

George R. R. Martin was a guest on the genealogy show, "Finding Your Roots" on PBS. I think the episode is free to stream for only a week or so after the original air date, 8 Jan. 2019. Some intrigue in the family tree, worthy of a Targaryen bloodline . . .

https://www.pbs.org/video/grandparents-and-other-strangers-lh0g6g/

George's memory is not quite the same as Mya's memory:

"I remember a man throwing me in the air when I was very little. He stands as tall as the sky, and he throws me up so high it feels as though I'm flying. We're both laughing, laughing so much that I can hardly catch a breath, and finally I laugh so hard I wet myself, but that only makes him laugh the louder. I was never afraid when he was throwing me. I knew that he would always be there to catch me."

Mya Stone, AFfC, Chap. 41 (Alayne II)

Everyone understands that a writer puts elements of him/herself into their works. George RR is very fond of neeps, for example. It's no big deal about the tossing in the air; it's just more of the same. But thanks for the PBS link! The show is definitely worth a view or two!

Thanks for the link. It was interesting.

While martin may have shared an experience of being tossed in the air, maritn said he dinna like it.

Many kids get tossed in the air. My husband used to raise our son in the air and pretend to fly the boy around.  The boy would stiffen up his body and drool in his dads face. We would laugh because the child smiled and laughed.

Life and love.

Seriously though, if you are implying martin uses life experience in his saga --- I agree.

22 hours ago, Seams said:

Thanks for 'splaining something that I didn't need 'splained.

Sorry; your post suggested to me that this was a new concept with you. On the other hand, if you haven't had neeps lately, I highly recommend them. And it isn't just me sayin' that.

32 minutes ago, zandru said:

Sorry; your post suggested to me that this was a new concept with you. On the other hand, if you haven't had neeps lately, I highly recommend them. And it isn't just me sayin' that.

Are you trying to be rude, and I'm just missing the point?

@Seams, I think that's really neat.   Mya is such a mystery--what she was, what she is and what she may become.  I for one hope Mya's story ends with as much true success as her author's.   Let's be very grateful Martin's experiences don't read like Aeron Greyjoy's!     Thanks for the link--read about this last week so it will be good to check out the show.    

Archived