Anyone else dreading the prospect of Disney incorporating the X-men into the MCU

Varysblackfyre321

On 1/13/2019 at 7:34 AM, Jace, Basilissa said:

Slightly off topic, but as a one time Star Wars fanatic (let me tell you about Abeloth and Dark Saber) I have stopped work abruptly many a time, including in the middle of examining a patient, to sigh for the thought of a Feige in charge of Lucasfilm. 

It actually hurts my soul that I cannot muster the energy to properly counter the incel freaks that malign Kathleen Kennedy's 'SJW' whatever or whatever nonsense because while they're full of shit, she has indeed objectively allowed Star Wars to be irreparably ruined. 

I have to say I do sympathize to a degree. I genuinely don’t like the TLJ or FA but I get the impression a lot people aren’t judging the films solely by their own merits but the perceived politics behind the film. And while I still haven’t seen Solo I’ve seen a couple of reviews of it and  a very troubling thing I’ve seen brought up is  this idea of a droid character who wants Droids to have rights(fair given the level of intelligence and feelings they’ve displayed), is an unironic SJW and the people behind the film thought she was cool or whatever.  

On 1/13/2019 at 5:53 AM, red snow said:

It's far too tempting not to and when it's all under the Disney banner seems like a source of confusion to separate them. They'll be looking at the quick money of wolverine and the thing in the avengers and making use of some classic villains.

Speaking of classic X-Men villains, I’ll be honest, the one up side I could see in the X-men being apart of the MCU is the chance the Juggernaut and hulk can fight. That is always awesome in my book. 

If anyone can do it, Marvel can. Negative sentiment towards enhanceds - particularly at governmental level - is already shown in the films, e.g. Civil War, and this is before the idea of super-powered teens accidentally blowing up school cafeterias when their balls drop. 

Or, do it completely differently. Have an Endgame character wake up in an alternative Universe, with Mutants as an established fact, and be the only one who remembers the old reality. House of M, Heroes Reborn ...there's loads of good stuff that could be incorporated here. Just as film Civil War was miles away from the comics...

Or just skim over it and trust cultural consciousness to fill in the blanks. A lot of people hate Batman Vs Superman (I'm merely 'meh') but the batman montage at the start was actually quite refreshing. Sometimes a thing is just a thing, you know? 

19 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I have to say I do sympathize to a degree. I genuinely don’t like the TLJ or FA but I get the impression a lot people aren’t judging the films solely by their own merits but the perceived politics behind the film. And while I still haven’t seen Solo I’ve seen a couple of reviews of it and  a very troubling thing I’ve seen brought up is  this idea of a droid character who wants Droids to have rights(fair given the level of intelligence and feelings they’ve displayed), is an unironic SJW and the people behind the film thought she was cool or whatever.  

I thought that stupid droid was waaaaay overblown. It's in like 3 scenes and treats it's own cause like a joke. 

It was stupid and worth ridicule of course. But I didn't think it actually had a coherent message.

11 minutes ago, Werthead said:

First major clue of what might be coming down the pipe: apparently the Gambit, Dr. Doom and X-Force movies in the Fox-verse are all dead, "victims of the merger". Especially surprising because Gambit and X-Force were supposed to start shooting quite soon.

you can t have new mutant movies in x men universe if they are going to join marvel verse. It is the same as saying that wether the movie does well or not in the box ofice it will have no sequel or continuation of any sort...

And if marvel wants to bring the mutants into their universe we should start seing marvel mutant films within the next 2 or 3 years so that they can join this new marvel phase no?

45 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

My main issue with Solo was that I don't think I remembered a single thing about the movie ten minutes after I watched it.  It's just a very forgettable, bland film.  It's like if you removed the heart and wit from your average Marvel film.  Probably didn't help that they completely retconned Solo's character to make it so he was pretty much always a good dude.  

47 minutes ago, divica said:

you can t have new mutant movies in x men universe if they are going to join marvel verse. It is the same as saying that wether the movie does well or not in the box ofice it will have no sequel or continuation of any sort...

And if marvel wants to bring the mutants into their universe we should start seing marvel mutant films within the next 2 or 3 years so that they can join this new marvel phase no?

As far as we know, Avengers: Endgame ends Phase 3 and Spider-Man: Far From Home starts Phase 4, so there will be continuity into Phase 4, with Black Panther 2GotG 3 (if it happens now, there's some doubt on that) and a possible Dr. Strange 2Thor 4Captain Marvel 2Ant-Man 3 taking place in that phase. From the sound of it, that might be it and Phase 5 would then be a total remake/reboot.

I can't see them introducing mutants into the MCU continuity at this late stage without it being weird (where have they been all this time? With so many superheroes running around, why are mutants considered disgusting etc), so I think it's more likely they'll hold off until the total reboot. The only other option I can see working is settling on a semi-canonical version of the Foxverse moving forwards and then using parallel universe dimension hopping to combine the two.

19 minutes ago, Werthead said:

As far as we know, Avengers: Endgame ends Phase 3 and Spider-Man: Far From Home starts Phase 4, so there will be continuity into Phase 4, with Black Panther 2GotG 3 (if it happens now, there's some doubt on that) and a possible Dr. Strange 2Thor 4Captain Marvel 2Ant-Man 3 taking place in that phase. From the sound of it, that might be it and Phase 5 would then be a total remake/reboot.

I can't see them introducing mutants into the MCU continuity at this late stage without it being weird (where have they been all this time? With so many superheroes running around, why are mutants considered disgusting etc), so I think it's more likely they'll hold off until the total reboot. The only other option I can see working is settling on a semi-canonical version of the Foxverse moving forwards and then using parallel universe dimension hopping to combine the two.

That's a long wait before a new X-Men movie.. the faster those properties are under Marvel Studio control, the better. And I don't see why it's too late to introduce the X-Men. Just have the mutant gene start to manifest itself now in large amounts of the human population. There's already a decent sized Avenger backlash with the Accords in place... now with a mutant virus outbreak, it goes to Sentinel guarding concentration camp levels.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Speaking of classic X-Men villains, I’ll be honest, the one up side I could see in the X-men being apart of the MCU is the chance the Juggernaut and hulk can fight. That is always awesome in my book. 

Ryan Reynolds would agree - he had to make do with Juggernaut vs Colossus. One if the fun things about early x-men comics (particularly early Claremont) was how the villains did cross over into the rest of the MCU. Rogue is integral to ms marvel (could be a good story with captain marvel there) and juggernaut would tangle with spidey and sabertooth with iron fist. The x-men became more insular as the number of titles/characters grew. It's why i think mutants would have to be in a ridiculous minority to work in the MCU. It would a) explain how no-one has noticed them yet (although that lying liar nick fury has probably known them for decades) and b) prevent them from swamping the MCU.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

First major clue of what might be coming down the pipe: apparently the Gambit, Dr. Doom and X-Force movies in the Fox-verse are all dead, "victims of the merger". Especially surprising because Gambit and X-Force were supposed to start shooting quite soon.

Gambit has been getting ready to shoot since at least 2012 so no surprise there.

No mention of the madrox film james franco? That was the most promising one to me.

I have a feeling the new mutants and phoenix films are a mess in which case i don't blame Disney axing anything else in development. Apocalypse was shit so two bad films in a row is grounds for starting afresh. It's not like jackman is coming back either. 

20 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I’m curious to see if Galactus would be featured if FF is incorporated in the MCU. 

In the GotG movies there's been a significant Celestial presence with Knowhere and Ego. If the Celestials are around and the MCU now own the rights to Galactus, I see that as a great in...Galactus as the one who tries to keep them in check, maybe he was the one that severed the head that eventually became Knowhere.

I don't know what Gunn's plan for GotG 3 was but without him they could still make a movie featuring the GotG and FF against Galactus (Starlord being half Celestial and Ego's destruction being what draws him) and it would still seem a natural outgrowth of the first two movies.

Also, how has no one referenced this yet?

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

I was saying they would want to introduce mutants in phase 4 and so they would need mutant movies within 2 or 3 years.

And your arguments only work against mainstream mutants. If there were few mutants and now they start apearing in greater numbers because of an event from the avengers that causes mutations then they can easyly be introduced at this stage and be used for the next decade of marvel movies. The trick is that we wouldn t have x men movies, but mutant movies. And that should mean having Wolverine centric movies whith his solo movies and when he joins the avengers in order to continue having an assembler of super heroes.

Another interesting thing is that with captain marvel and the reintroduction of the kree we should have inhumans in the near future of marvel verse… I think with cap marvel, Wolverine, inhumans and more 1 or 2 super heroes they can have a new avengers team and move the conflicts to other themes,

Archived