X-men the last stand; gays need a cure?

Varysblackfyre321

Like in terms of the series the X-men films has it the mutants abilities are an allegory to gays. L Magneto and his brotherhood  So when we see the heroes of the movie, the x-men during the final battle with the brotherhood, side with the people who forcibly “cure” mutants in order to pacify the mutants it seems unintentionally the film supports the idea of it being totally okay to try to forcefully convert gays to straight. I mean it’s only after Magneto is cured does he see anything wrong with what he did

1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

I’m not sure if you are drunk or what but the whole point of the film was that it WASNT ok to pacify the mutants by force...so...no.

Bless you, laddie. I couldn't bring myself to... it's just... 

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

..... and all this time I thought that the X-Men were a metaphor for stuttering gingers... boy was i off.  

of course it is - we have the ability to turn Sunlight into more vitamin D than "normals" but with an increased risk of developing skin cancer. The source of our power is also our kryptonite. How can the X-men not be about gingers? :)

X-men being a metaphor for homosexuals is incredibly dumb. Gay people don't have the power to abuse or kill millions of people on the whim.  X-men are closer to being a metaphor for NRAs "good guys with guns" spiel, only 100 billion times worse. I assume most people here are in favor of some sort of gun control, or even a total ban, and yet mutants have incredibly destructive abilities, which they use as they see fit, and characters who want those powers under public control, or neutralized, are portrayed as bad guys.

I mean, Professor X's power is mind-rape. And he uses that power casually and very often to force ordinary people do whatever he wants, then forget about it. He also built a machine that magnifies his power so he could reach every person on a planet, because controlling only people in your immediate surrounding is just not enough. X-men movies only work because the audience is made to identify with the mutants, while ordinary humans are portrayed as a bunch of weak, intolerant bigots, who deserve everything that comes to them (including being mind-raped). You wouldn't want to live on the same planet with the mutants, even only the 'good' ones.

Also, check out who (badly) directed The Last Stand.

Check out who directed most of the other films. Slightly uncomfortable if Xavier's power is considered mind-rape.

I still think the X-MEN are very much an allegory for any group that is a minority and feared by the majority (even if they are useful to society). It's not about their power, it's about the fact they have to hide their true nature from society out of fear. It's a shame the comics are a mess as in their heyday they were an allegory for african americans, then gay people and it easily extends to religion, gender identity etc,etc. Even geeky outsiders who read comics (and probably would be bullied if caught with a comic) could empathize with the x-men. Although less do now as superheroes are so mainstream.

Discarding the parallel just because they have powers is missing the point. Although i agree comics are mainly focused on cool plans and end of world scenarios, it's the "outsider" aspect of the x-men that helps them stand out And is always an undercurrent and often a focus of their stories

21 minutes ago, red snow said:

Check out who directed most of the other films. Slightly uncomfortable if Xavier's power is considered mind-rape.

I still think the X-MEN are very much an allegory for any group that is a minority and feared by the majority (even if they are useful to society). It's not about their power, it's about the fact they have to hide their true nature from society out of fear. It's a shame the comics are a mess as in their heyday they were an allegory for african americans, then gay people and it easily extends to religion, gender identity etc,etc. Even geeky outsiders who read comics (and probably would be bullied if caught with a comic) could empathize with the x-men. Although less do now as superheroes are so mainstream.

Discarding the parallel just because they have powers is missing the point. Although i agree comics are mainly focused on cool plans and end of world scenarios, it's the "outsider" aspect of the x-men that helps them stand out And is always an undercurrent and often a focus of their stories

I think the interesting thing about the x-men is that they are descriminated because of their powers. However, contrary to most descriminations that are irrational (jews, black people, women…) there are powers that simply must be descriminated.

It isn t possible to treat a telepath like a normal person… No information would be safe near these people. Or people like ciclops for exemple. A little accident and he causes lots of destruction… And this is only using real easy exemples! For exemple, how would you investigate a crime made by a mutante without some list of mutants and their abilities?

1 hour ago, Gronzag said:

X-men being a metaphor for homosexuals is incredibly dumb. Gay people don't have the power to abuse or kill millions of people on the whim.  X-men are closer to being a metaphor for NRAs "good guys with guns" spiel, only 100 billion times worse. I assume most people here are in favor of some sort of gun control, or even a total ban, and yet mutants have incredibly destructive abilities, which they use as they see fit, and characters who want those powers under public control, or neutralized, are portrayed as bad guys.

I mean, Professor X's power is mind-rape. And he uses that power casually and very often to force ordinary people do whatever he wants, then forget about it. He also built a machine that magnifies his power so he could reach every person on a planet, because controlling only people in your immediate surrounding is just not enough. X-men movies only work because the audience is made to identify with the mutants, while ordinary humans are portrayed as a bunch of weak, intolerant bigots, who deserve everything that comes to them (including being mind-raped). You wouldn't want to live on the same planet with the mutants, even only the 'good' ones.

Also, check out who (badly) directed The Last Stand.

I think the movies also like to link the mutants to the jews in second world war in order to show what happens when diferent people are registred in a list. This autamatically makes the bad humans seem racists and the mutants misundertood and inocents.

It would be really interesting to see a movie about a cop investigating a crime made by a mutant. How can he do it without knowing what powers people have? If there aren t more people with the same or similar power? How would it be judged if it was an accident? Like you scared a mutant and he inadvertly destroied something… If people have the right to not want to be near mutants with dangerous powers… who says a mutant has enough control of his powers in order to live in the midle of society?

11 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

You all do a bunch of bad drugs?

10 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

The fascists are emerging.

8 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

This thread is the best example of Poe’s Law that I’ve ever seen.

5 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

This is indeed a baffling thread... the cognitive contortions it takes to arrive at some of these conclusions is awe inspiring. 

You all go troll somewhere else, OK?

37 minutes ago, Gronzag said:

You all go troll somewhere else, OK?

And leave you all to promote exclusionary dogma? I'll stay. 

Do you really not understand how metaphors work? And that most racists construct nefarious or dangerous motivations around the people they discriminate against? 

"The Jews stabbed Germany in the back!"

"The Blacks are selling drugs to our kids!"

"The Mexicans are sending rapists and murderers!" 

"The Irish are drunken brawlers here to put us all out of work!" 

"The Slavs are weakening the human race!"

"The gays are raping our children!"

This is basic human interaction shit. I'm really not here to shit on you or anything but c'mon man!

On 1/11/2019 at 6:59 PM, Darth Richard II said:

I’m not sure if you are drunk or what but the whole point of the film was that it WASNT ok to pacify the mutants by force...so...no.

Can we try to do be civil here?  I’m not denying that was really is the message the writers and director, wanted to convey but in my opinion it’s undercut with the fact the Heroes defeat the main antagonist of the trilogy through forcibly curing him, in order to pacify him and have said antagonist only recognizes he’s done wrong after he’s “supposedly” cured. They took Magneto’s powers, because he was a threat. This action by our heroes conflicts with their stance against government curing mutants to which they see as too dangerous as having powers.

Archived