Should we stop using term graphic novel to describe certian comic books?

Varysblackfyre321

I say this in response to having read about an interview with Alan Moore where in he posits his critically acclaimed comic book"The watchmen" was marketed as a comic book rather than a comic book due to graphic novel sounding more mature. I got to wondering if the use of term,  pushes the idea of comic books in general being solely for kids. 

I don't particularly care. It's become a term that's a bit like saying "literature" instead of "book/story"  or "speculative fiction" instead of SF. People can use what they are comfortable with and as long as people buy/read the books it doesn't matter.

I think if a comic is only released as a long collection and never sold as singles then graphic novel is an accurate term. I think most comic folk think of collections of comics as "trades/trade paperback". Again i wouldn't lose sleep or feel the need to correct or be corrected if the terms are used interchangeably.

If i thought someone would read a graphic novel but not a comic, i'd call it a graphic novel if it meant they'd check it out rather than drive them away over being pedantic about it.

Archived