UK politics: The tale of an old (Ber)crow who flew down from the cuckoo's nest...

A Horse Named Stranger

11 minutes ago, Blue Roses said:

14 charges! Including rape. Blimey, Mr Salmond. 

Attempted rape, but yeah, that's... something. Breach of the peace. Indecent assault. And nine charges of sexual assault. It's a lot more than I expected.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-46984747 

14 minutes ago, mormont said:

Attempted rape, but yeah, that's... something. Breach of the peace. Indecent assault. And nine charges of sexual assault. It's a lot more than I expected.

Yeah, honestly I've never read anymore of the articles about this than the headlines but I'd just assumed it was going to be something like making inappropriate comments in the workplace etc. That's not great but this is a lot worse.

5 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, honestly I've never read anymore of the articles about this than the headlines but I'd just assumed it was going to be something like making inappropriate comments in the workplace etc. That's not great but this is a lot worse.

It does seem to have escalated a lot. I wonder if the original reports may have encouraged others to come forward?

There must be a lot more stuff than what’s been published before.  Also possibly some dodgy manoeuvrings after the ruling on the discipline process, either a vendetta prosecution from having embarrassed the Scottish government or a cynical ploy by Salmond in getting the first shot in when he knows what’s about to come out.  Both the extent of the charges and the vociferous denial is pretty unusual anyway.

Bhoy, instead of starting slowly with anti-abortion stances, or sexually harassing internals, or just blocking an supskirting bill like a proper Westminster MP Salmond really decided to go all in with this one.

4 hours ago, john said:

Both the extent of the charges and the vociferous denial is pretty unusual anyway.

While Salmond is obviously still sub judice...

A vociferous denial is typical when UK politicians are on the verge of being caught out in some fashion that will be terminal to their career. "I shall fight this with the simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of British fair play" as one once said.

It's important to note Salmond's 'vociferous denial' amounts to denying any criminality. He's been quite specific about that. He's not denying that something inappropriate may have occurred. He's just saying he has an argument as to why it wasn't a provable crime.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

It's important to note Salmond's 'vociferous denial' amounts to denying any criminality. He's been quite specific about that. He's not denying that something inappropriate may have occurred. He's just saying he has an argument as to why it wasn't a provable crime.

No penetration? 

18 hours ago, maarsen said:

No penetration? 

Just the tip.

Anyway, before the we get deeper into the misconduct of Salmond, let's get back to Brexit.

So, Cooper has tabled an amendment, with the idea to force HMG to seek an extension of 9 months (so basically till the end of the year). THat was apparently too remain for the Labour frontbench, which said yeah, we can live with an extension, just no more than 3 months. Which effectively kills of her valiant effort. Three months will do jack squat, I mean the UK still has 2 months to sort things out, and they are in getting into proper panic mode. Now what can they achieve in three extra months? Westminster (and the goverment) effectively has to figure out what it actually wants (not what it doesn't want) and act accordingly.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Apparently 5% of UK adults are holocaust deniers, this fucking country. 

I'm honestly surprised it's not higher than that, and I'm not trying to say anything bad about the UK as a whole here. In any population you'll find some percentage of people who believe insanely stupid things, and it's often higher than 5%. A few years back a poll here in the US found that 27% of US Christians believed that Christ would "definitely" return to earth within the next 40 years (and another 20% said he "probably" would).

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Apparently 5% of UK adults are holocaust deniers, this fucking country. 

I don't think the polling by the Holocaust Memorial Trust shows that. To be a denier you need to know that some people believe 'that the holocaust took place' is a fact and then deny it's a fact. That's totally different from someone who just hasn't heard of it and doesn't know what it is. Now, that may seem surprising but some people are pretty primitive. They may only read news about celebrities and use string instead of a belt to hold their trousers up. 

2 hours ago, Nothing Has Changed said:

That's totally different from someone who just hasn't heard of it and doesn't know what it is.

Nothing I've seen in the news and press releases about the polling suggests that this is what is meant, the wording is very clearly 'don't believe it actually happened'. And I'd be amazed if that many people really didn't know about it- this isn't information you have to seek out, it's hammered into you in, I'm fairly sure, every single school, and early.

On 1/19/2019 at 11:54 PM, DaveSumm said:

With AV there’s also the possibility of tactical voting: if it looked like it was a close call between Remain and May’s Deal, the best thing to do if you wanted Remain would be to vote that 1st, but not vote May’s Deal 2nd (even if it was your second most desired outcome), to try and starve it of ‘second round’ votes.

But either way, no way is half the population going to accept a rigged re-run, where Leave votes are divided up to make way for a Remain win. It has to be two tiers: Leave or Remain, if Leave then x, y, or z. But that’s not without problems either.

Surely the only democratic way of doing it is to not have remain on the ballot. The UK already voted to leave, so the only issue is the manner of its leaving. It's either leave with a deal, or a no-deal leave. Whether the deal option is specifically put forward as the May plan is the question. Or there could be a 3-way question: The May deal, no-deal, or withdraw article 50 while a plan for an acceptable leave deal is worked out.

I'm not sure the EU will accept a deal that's better for the UK than the May deal. Which probably means the UK accepting a worse deal, but one that has more in it of what the UK nationalists want, and is not so devastating as a no-deal Brexit.

Either way, we've signed a deal with the UK that will hopefully preserve the Easter lamb trade, which is the most important chilled lamb trade we have with the UK.

11 hours ago, Fez said:

I'm honestly surprised it's not higher than that, and I'm not trying to say anything bad about the UK as a whole here. In any population you'll find some percentage of people who believe insanely stupid things, and it's often higher than 5%. A few years back a poll here in the US found that 27% of US Christians believed that Christ would "definitely" return to earth within the next 40 years (and another 20% said he "probably" would).

So they missed the fact that he's been and gone already?

Archived