Euron's Plan after Oldtown

Euron III Greyjoy

My personal opinion is that he will not attack Oldtown first, the Reach in general needs to be weakened more before he can hope to succeed.

He will however crush the Redwyn and Hightower fleets giving him complete control of the sunset sea.  From there I believe he will sail immediately back to the shield islands, and ambush Garlan as he tries to retake the shields with fishing boats and river barges.  They will be slaughtered.  Harlaw will kill Garlan with Nightfall, as Olenna and Catlyn predicted.

From there the Ironborn will carry their longships overland until they reach the Honeywine, as foreshadowed by the Ironborn taking the Riverlands in this way.  They can then attack Oldtown from the undefended river and take the harbor.  By raiding up and down the Honeywine many of the troops in Oldtown will leave to defend their lands, making Oldtown more vulnerable, until it eventually is forced to surrender, or Euron decides to storm the city.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:34 PM, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

Assuming that Euron wins his Oldtown battle in TWoW, what is his plan after that?

1. Will he head to Kings Landing to try and take the Iron Throne?  
  2. Will he stay in Oldtown for now?
  3. Will he travel to meet Daenerys?
  4. Other.

I think he will destroy and burn of Oldtown what he can and than will destroy their fleet and that of the Redwynes. After he will return and when the Lannister come to Cerseis and Kevans aid against Aegon, he will take Lannisport, i think he will have some similair plans like the Red Kraken, but more in teh Westerlands (Faire Isle and Kayce).

On 1/13/2019 at 7:57 AM, aryagonnakill#2 said:

My personal opinion is that he will not attack Oldtown first, the Reach in general needs to be weakened more before he can hope to succeed.

He will however crush the Redwyn and Hightower fleets giving him complete control of the sunset sea.  From there I believe he will sail immediately back to the shield islands, and ambush Garlan as he tries to retake the shields with fishing boats and river barges.  They will be slaughtered.  Harlaw will kill Garlan with Nightfall, as Olenna and Catlyn predicted.

From there the Ironborn will carry their longships overland until they reach the Honeywine, as foreshadowed by the Ironborn taking the Riverlands in this way.  They can then attack Oldtown from the undefended river and take the harbor.  By raiding up and down the Honeywine many of the troops in Oldtown will leave to defend their lands, making Oldtown more vulnerable, until it eventually is forced to surrender, or Euron decides to storm the city.

I don't think Euron has any desire to keep the Shields (he knows he can't keep them anyway), he took them so he could give them away and have them retaken from someone else. History will remember that he took the Shields, not that he lost them.

He's on his way to the Narrow Sea, in any respect. He's counting on Victarion to be a battering ram, to make a royal mess that he can clean up - but he didn't count on Moqorro. The Red Priest will throw a giant monkeywrench into Euron's plans.

Crushing the Redwyne and Hightower fleets should not be a problem for Euron.

Storming the city and taking control of it? That's going to be very, very difficult. While the strength of the Redwynes is at sea, the Hightowers seem to be a much more powerful land-based force. In fact, I know this to be true because the Hightowers are throwing together an armada at the last minute. In fact, I don't think the city has ever fallen...at least not anytime since Aegon I began his conquest.

In any case, Lord Hightower and his daughter are likely going to use sorcery in their attempt to defend the city. And the Ironborn have never been known for their ability to take fortified cities, sack them and then hold them indefinitely. And Euron needs to be able to hold a city in order to make himself look at least a little bit attractive to Daenerys. And @aryagonnakill#2 seems to be onto something when talking about how the ironborn might end up choosing to attack Oldtown from the northern river valley rather than from the south at the harbor.

In other words, it's going to take him a while.

I expect Aeron will be our POV for the big naval battle and will have - at most - three chapters (the sample chapter plus two more) before he dies. And he'll die at the battle's conclusion or die when the battle concludes. Samwell, I expect, will be preoccupied with learning what he needs to learn and Citadel intrigue up until the Hightowers lose and Euron starts banging on the front door of the Citadel. From there, Samwell will be our POV into Euron's activities after taking Oldtown...before Samwell manages to escape with Gilly and Mance's baby. (I expect Sam to reunite with his family early on in A Dream of Spring but that's a different story)

Euron is going to stay in Oldtown for a while because I believe he is wanting to become a super-sorcerer and he has need of information that can only be found in Oldtown. Plus, I also believe that Euron is THE endgame human villain to beat (i.e. the one that only a few of the characters know about, much less are prepared for) so GRRM has to spend time making him a scary-powerful force.

After Winds, I think Euron is going to have to take a couple of steps back and make adjustments when the activities of Victarion, Theon and Asha start posing a serious threat to his power base.

I don't think he cares about his men, fleets, or conquest at all. I think the entire invasion was a distraction so he could slip around the back and sack old town. He wants something magical from the citadel and he will sacrifice all his men to get it. His fleet will lose the battle but they will have achieved their purpose. 

On 1/15/2019 at 6:53 PM, chrisdaw said:

His plan is really to get Dany pregnant and blow his horn within Drogon and her's earshot. Until then he'll just be keeping on the good side of Dany.

This might have been along the lines of his original plan but he's going to be forced to change course with Moqorro, Tyrion, Barristan and Victarion both whispering in Dany's ear.

Any one of those four or perhaps all of them will be instrumental in turning Dany against Euron.

43 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

This might have been along the lines of his original plan but he's going to be forced to change course with Moqorro, Tyrion, Barristan and Victarion both whispering in Dany's ear.

Any one of those four or perhaps all of them will be instrumental in turning Dany against Euron.

No they won't. Euron will take her, he's (soon to be dead) Daario dialled up to eleven. And now she's turned fire and blood she's going to give even less fucks about what people say of her choice of lovers and allies.

On 1/18/2019 at 10:41 PM, chrisdaw said:

No they won't. Euron will take her, he's (soon to be dead) Daario dialled up to eleven. And now she's turned fire and blood she's going to give even less fucks about what people say of her choice of lovers and allies. 

I completely disagree.

Daenerys is going to be turning over a new leaf. You're right. She won't care what people say about her choice of consorts and allies. You're right.

But that doesn't mean that she's just going to become a completely different character and stomach someone like Euron. Call it what you want, he is a slaver through-and-through which makes him a natural enemy of Daenerys. Not to mention, Euron is a sorcerer and Daenerys has already been established to despise/distrust those who practice magic. And Dany is way too smart to get into bed with someone like Euron. Say what you want about Daario but Daario was someone that Dany can control. Euron Greyjoy is as uncontrollable as they come.

You say that Daenerys doesn't know all this yet? Well, it's only a matter of time before she figures it out. She's not stupid and Euron isn't exactly hiding it. And Moqorro (maybe even Marwyn and Victarion) likely already know about Euron's sorcerous proclivities. Tyrion can go further and speak on Euron's reputation.

If anything, her sojourns in the Dothraki Sea are going to make her wiser, less tolerant of the B.S. and more likely to roast or butcher people who displease, threaten or scheme on her. Dany has always known that Daario was bad news and that he couldn't be trusted...she was just a girl who wanted to rest, play, plant trees and whatever. As of her last chapter in Dance, winter is here and that girl is gone. Kill the girl and let the woman be born...

Dany will end up marrying a Greyjoy. But it will be Victarion, not Euron. You wanna know why? Because Victarion AND the Iron Fleet will be right there in Meereen and Euron will be halfway across the world fighting on several different fronts.

1 hour ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I completely disagree.

Daenerys is going to be turning over a new leaf. You're right. She won't care what people say about her choice of consorts and allies. You're right.

But that doesn't mean that she's just going to become a completely different character and stomach someone like Euron.

What Euron presents to her will be everything she finds attractive, and that'll be that.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:03 AM, chrisdaw said:

What Euron presents to her will be everything she finds attractive, and that'll be that.

Unfortunately, you've forgotten one thing. Euron is not the one travelling to the other side of the world to meet Daenerys; Victarion is.

Do you really think Victarion will let Euron have Daenerys?

Victarion wants Daenerys for himself. And he's well-positioned to do so as he comes with the dragonbinder, Moqorro and close to a hundred warships.

5 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Unfortunately, you've forgotten one thing. Euron is not the one travelling to the other side of the world to meet Daenerys; Victarion is.

Do you really think Victarion will let Euron have Daenerys?

Victarion wants Daenerys for himself. And he's well-positioned to do so as he comes with the dragonbinder, Moqorro and close to a hundred warships.

Victarion is not going to get the better of Euron. Victarion is a dumb fun viking, Euron is Cthulhu.

Despite oldtowm to be pretty reach, I think what euron looks for is knowledge.  And the Hightowers like this as well. Oh, and sorcery, too. I think we won't see battes because euron and Hightowers will become allies. 

So what does euron really desire? (Lol, it was too Lucifer, now!). I think the iron throne is just a mean, a shortcut, a secondary objective for what he really wants: magical power. Dominating the wolrd. Ok, I know this is stuff to cartoon, but I really reckon it. He wanna be a white walker AND have dragons. He wanna have glasscandle, too. The priests who see the future in the flames, the maegi who see everything in a drop with blood, that blue drink i don't know its name in English. He wishes faceless men in order to kill and die for him. After all, fm are priests and what does Euron do with priests?

It seems ridiculous, I know, but I think that way because of what Aeron saw when he drunk the blue drink. He will get the Iron Throne, but the Hightowers will rule for him while he looks for more sources of sorcery. Remember that shadow Aeron saw. Anyone said in another thread that could be the Mad Maid, but I think it is another girl Hightower: a younger and prettier queen from Cersei' s profecy. She will take the Iron Throne, will become Quibun' s ally and together, they will do experiences with Cersei, like it happens during the Holocaust. What Cersei will lose is her identity as a Lannister and she will beg for her valonqar to free her from this torture named life. 

Oh, I didn't forget the main matter. I just spoke about Cersei because someone would use the profecy in order to say that Cersei wouldn't fall until this another queen to come. And please, say to me if there be something y'all don't understand. I'm still training my English. 

16 hours ago, Garota Sem Rosto said:

Sunspear???? Why? 

It will be easy pickings. All the Dornish forces are concentrated in the two passes. Crows aren't picky about what corpses they feast on. Any corpse will do. Euron thinks all of Westeros is dying and wants to feast on all of it.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:53 PM, Ibbison from Ibben said:

Though he will win the upcoming battle in the Redwine Straits, Euron will not attack Oldtown. Raiders like the Ironborn make use of mobility to achieve surprise and attack weakness. Oldtown is now fully alerted and prepared.

Euron will attack Sunspear.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:59 AM, Ibbison from Ibben said:

It will be easy pickings. All the Dornish forces are concentrated in the two passes. Crows aren't picky about what corpses they feast on. Any corpse will do. Euron thinks all of Westeros is dying and wants to feast on all of it.

Sunspear makes no sense whatsoever. The fact that Euron sailed right past Lannisport and did absolutely nothing says a lot about how important Oldtown is.

Lannisport and Oldtown are both much more richer than Sunspear with Oldtown being the richest. Euron has been gunning for Oldtown and he wants to make it as easy as possible...that's the real reason why he took the Arbor and the Shields.

Not only does Sunspear doesn't make sense it that regard, it also doesn't make sense for story reasons. At this point of the story, the purpose of the Ironborn under Euron is to distract and nerf the Reach and the Tyrell family. The Starks were first, the Tyrells are next. Except I don't think the Tyrells are slated to recover. Roses die when winter begins to howl.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 3:41 PM, chrisdaw said:

Victarion is not going to get the better of Euron. Victarion is a dumb fun viking, Euron is Cthulhu.

I didn't say that Victarion is going to get the better of Euron. He'll marry Daenerys but the marriage won't last. Euron -- somehow, someway -- is going to Victarion. He was always going to kill Victarion sooner or later.

I agree with you on the second part: Euron is Cthulhu and Victarion is just a Viking.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:30 PM, Garota Sem Rosto said:

Despite oldtowm to be pretty reach, I think what euron looks for is knowledge.  And the Hightowers like this as well. Oh, and sorcery, too. I think we won't see battes because euron and Hightowers will become allies. 

So what does euron really desire? (Lol, it was too Lucifer, now!). I think the iron throne is just a mean, a shortcut, a secondary objective for what he really wants: magical power. Dominating the wolrd. Ok, I know this is stuff to cartoon, but I really reckon it. He wanna be a white walker AND have dragons. He wanna have glasscandle, too. The priests who see the future in the flames, the maegi who see everything in a drop with blood, that blue drink i don't know its name in English. He wishes faceless men in order to kill and die for him. After all, fm are priests and what does Euron do with priests?

It seems ridiculous, I know, but I think that way because of what Aeron saw when he drunk the blue drink. He will get the Iron Throne, but the Hightowers will rule for him while he looks for more sources of sorcery. Remember that shadow Aeron saw. Anyone said in another thread that could be the Mad Maid, but I think it is another girl Hightower: a younger and prettier queen from Cersei' s profecy. She will take the Iron Throne, will become Quibun' s ally and together, they will do experiences with Cersei, like it happens during the Holocaust. What Cersei will lose is her identity as a Lannister and she will beg for her valonqar to free her from this torture named life. 

Oh, I didn't forget the main matter. I just spoke about Cersei because someone would use the profecy in order to say that Cersei wouldn't fall until this another queen to come. And please, say to me if there be something y'all don't understand. I'm still training my English. 

I agree with almost everything in this post.

I can even see some of the Hightowers (mainly Lord Hightower and his daughter Mallora) siding with Euron or being forced into working for him. In English, we call the blue drink "shade of the evening."

But Euron is not letting anyone or anything rule for him. And I think that the shadow woman Aeron saw is Cersei or rather an eldritch exaggeration of who Cersei will be in Dream when she joins forces with Euron.

I'm just really interested in seeing what Euron does after he penetrates Oldtown's defenses and enters the city.

Archived