Euron's Plan after Oldtown

Euron III Greyjoy

On 1/27/2019 at 5:11 PM, Jabar of House Titan said:

Not only does Sunspear doesn't make sense it that regard, it also doesn't make sense for story reasons. At this point of the story, the purpose of the Ironborn under Euron is to distract and nerf the Reach and the Tyrell family. The Starks were first, the Tyrells are next. Except I don't think the Tyrells are slated to recover. Roses die when winter begins to howl.

Agree, GoT tends to pull down those who make it to the summit. Tyrells have definitely  overreached in their quest for a crown.

Moreover, Oldtown is possibly even more prestigious than Kings Landing given its history, its unrivaled wealth/trade, the Hightower and the Citadel. Being undisturbed for thousands of years, it is  the textbook definition of Ripe for the Picking. GRRM likes to shock, and to have Oldtown fall despite the preparations would fit Euron's sorcerer wild card character and serve as an psychological shock that will reverberate across Westeros. 

On 6/23/2019 at 3:49 AM, Br16 said:

Agree, GoT tends to pull down those who make it to the summit. Tyrells have definitely  overreached in their quest for a crown.

Moreover, Oldtown is possibly even more prestigious than Kings Landing given its history, its unrivaled wealth/trade, the Hightower and the Citadel. Being undisturbed for thousands of years, it is  the textbook definition of Ripe for the Picking. GRRM likes to shock, and to have Oldtown fall despite the preparations would fit Euron's sorcerer wild card character and serve as an psychological shock that will reverberate across Westeros. 

A psychological shock that will dovetail nicely with the Wall falling at the end of The Winds of Winter.

Think about it.

Oldtown is the capital of Westerosi science, medicine, religion, higher education and communication. If Oldtown falls right when the Wall falls, people are going to completely lose their shit...

The (human) characters of the story can no longer solve their problems with human methods and tools.

It's brilliant when you sit back and think about it. George R.R. Martin saved the full-on high fantasy, magical lore-spinning stuff for the finale of the series.

Unless E-ron has some serious magicks up his sleeves, Oldtown won’t fall. Get some serious distruption to trade perhaps, or damage to the coastal part of the city, but nothing more. It’d be bad writing.

Average longsgip has 30 or so men, the Ironfleet ships have 80-90. Entire Ironborn navy is some 400 ships, as when Balon calls his forces there are near 400 captains with two smaller lords with their fleet on the way.

Oldtown on the other hand has thousands of defenders. In the Dance alone Hightowers raised 5000 men, not counting those left at the city.

On 1/31/2019 at 2:04 AM, LordToo-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse said:

Best speculation ive seen about his path after oldtown is to fly Rhaegal to the Gods Eye.  Where he eventually has his final showdown with daenerys..
And maybe burns down the forest of the isle of faces.

But Rhaegal is Jorahs dragon. 

Lynesse is going to convince him to save Oldtown. Then he meets Sam and learns of the Others.

A man who believes “I shall become a God!!!” will have a hard fall. Especially in Martin world. Halo Prophet of Truth levels of screw up.

I believe Euron is in Oldtown to find information about the Others & make an alliance with the Hightowers. When the Horn is sounded in Mereen, Viserion will fly to his new master (the one wearing the Valyrian steel armor that matches the horn) Euron.

Now is where things get tricky.  I don’t know the order of these next potential events but I think Alleras and her bow and arrows are being heavily foreshadowed.  The Dornish were the first ones to down a dragon in Westeros. I think Alleras (Oberyn’s daughter Sarella disguised as a man) is going to down a dragon like her Dornish ancestors.  Good chance it will be Viserion in Oldtown.

So Euron will eventually learn of a “dragonglass to the heart” procedure that will make him a god...  He’ll undergo the procedure and raise Viserion from the waters just off Oldtown where he was downed by Alleras. Thus giving us Mel’s vision of a great stone beast raised from the sea by some smoking towers.

I could see all of these things happening towards the 2nd half of Winds.  Euron undergoing the dragonglass procedure could actually take place in a Bran chapter. We’ll see it all in a Bran weir-vision.  And with there seeming to be a past connection between Euron and Bloodraven (maybe initially Bloodraven thought Euron would be the 3EC).  So I could see Euron maybe being aware of Bloodraven and Bran in these visions.  

Maybe that’s how the location of the cave is found out and Euron sends his Others to kill them and we get our Hodor Hold the Door moment?  Some of these things could take place in Dream but much of the groundwork could be laid in Winds.  

Remember that scene in aDwD where Asha is trying to flee from Stannis and his north-men in the Wolswood and the IB are throwing themselves in-front of her to keep her alive? I think it will be like that for Euron in Oldtown. 

I agree with the numerous posters above mine that suggest that Euron isn't playing king-of-the-hill. He's playing capture the flag. That is to say, he's after something specific and he's using the IB to get to it. He doesn't give a rats ass if his reavers die. No more than he cares about the Shield Islands. IMO.

• 1 month later...

I always had a feeling that everything is connected with R'llhor and The Great Other. I believe that the Three Eyed Raven, Coldhands, Patchface and Euron are all servants of the Great Other (whoever or whatever that is) and since Oldtown is the source of all knowledge in Westeros he wants to burn the library and all the knowledge the living have for the The Long Night. Brand will become the Night King and Euron is like a puppet-prophet who is reading his coming.

The story will change from a game between Houses to a fight between characters from all sides (Sansa, Tyrion, John Snow, Daenerys, Arya, Garlan, Blackfish, Willas, Arianne, Asha, Theon, Jaime, Davos etc) who will all try as heroes to defeat The Night King and his allies but also play the game after he has fallen. Dany will have her Dance with Young Griff and will end up mad and John Snow will kill her to fulfil the prophecy and slay the Night King (a Stark). 

On 8/11/2019 at 11:30 AM, Dreadscythe95 said:

I always had a feeling that everything is connected with R'llhor and The Great Other. I believe that the Three Eyed Raven, Coldhands, Patchface and Euron are all servants of the Great Other (whoever or whatever that is) and since Oldtown is the source of all knowledge in Westeros he wants to burn the library and all the knowledge the living have for the The Long Night. Brand will become the Night King and Euron is like a puppet-prophet who is reading his coming.

The story will change from a game between Houses to a fight between characters from all sides (Sansa, Tyrion, John Snow, Daenerys, Arya, Garlan, Blackfish, Willas, Arianne, Jaime, Davos etc) who will all try as heroes to defeat The Night King and his allies but also play the game after he has fallen. Dany will have her Dance with Young Griff and will end up mad and John Snow will kill her to fulfil the prophecy and slay the Night King (a Stark). 

I agree with the bold part of this post.

I feel like the Great Other and R'hllor are playing their own game of thrones and Melisandre, Sansa, Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon Snow, Arya, etc. are their pawns.

15 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I agree with the bold part of this post.

I feel like the Great Other and R'hllor are playing their own game of thrones and Melisandre, Sansa, Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon Snow, Arya, etc. are their pawns.

What bold part? xD

On 8/19/2019 at 6:10 AM, Dreadscythe95 said:

What bold part? xD

LOL....you got me!

On 8/11/2019 at 11:30 AM, Dreadscythe95 said:

The story will change from a game between Houses to a fight between characters from all sides (Sansa, Tyrion, John Snow, Daenerys, Arya, Garlan, Blackfish, Willas, Arianne, Asha, Theon, Jaime, Davos etc) who will all try as heroes to defeat The Night King and his allies but also play the game after he has fallen. Dany will have her Dance with Young Griff and will end up mad and John Snow will kill her to fulfil the prophecy and slay the Night King (a Stark). 

Archived