The Hardcorps History Appreciation Thread

Jace, Extat

@red snow

I didn't listen to the Hastings interview for some weeks after it dropped, just a general lack of interest in Vietnam, but I found it quite interesting once I queued it up. 

The degradation of the Army leadership posited by Sir Max in particular was of interest. I spent some time earlier in my career working with veterans in San Antonio for physical therapy, and shit leadership was often cited for their missing limbs and crippled skeletal structures.

Nightmares of Indianapolis is far and away the best Hardcore History: Addendum episode though.

6 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

@red snow

I didn't listen to the Hastings interview for some weeks after it dropped, just a general lack of interest in Vietnam, but I found it quite interesting once I queued it up. 

The degradation of the Army leadership posited by Sir Max in particular was of interest. I spent some time earlier in my career working with veterans in San Antonio for physical therapy, and shit leadership was often cited for their missing limbs and crippled skeletal structures.

Nightmares of Indianapolis is far and away the best Hardcore History: Addendum episode though.

I agree regarding the indianapolis episode. That was the closest Dan has got to capturing hid original format since the very early days. Although i jokingly pretend that his current msin series on Japan is actually due to him trying to find a natural starting point for the indianapolis episode :)

the interview episodes have all been pretty good and it's nice that Dan promotes others. Peter Hart came across well regarding world war one and the chat with the four star general was a great insight into how military leaders think and operate with civilian leadership.

it's a shame he's essentially shelved common sense. I think there are still topics he can discuss that don't involve trump but addendum is proving fun between his hardcore history installments.

I do look at his withdrawal from Common Sense as a manifestation of ideological weakness on his part. However, he was pretty dead on in the last episode when he basically said "If you think you need this episode you won't be satisfied. If you think you want this episode you won't be satisfied."

Like many a redeemable libertarian weirdo he seems incapable of facing political realities without immediately punting responsibility for the sake of some long lost idea of impartiality.

29 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Your work ever take you to SAMMC? If it did their's a minuscule chance we've met.

As a matter of fact I used to spend weekends basically interning there. If I recall correctly there was some kind of recruiting element at play for DoD medical personnel? I can't say for sure but I was told that they were transitioning from Army staff to civilian. Or maybe it was the opposite. Or neither. I seem to recall a whole bunch of Air Force and Navy doctors, though.

Either way, yeah. I was around there in the 06-07ish days.

And I swear to god all the signs said BAMC but they called it SAMC.

38 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Either way, yeah. I was around there in the 06-07ish days.

And I swear to god all the signs said BAMC but they called it SAMC.

Before my time then. I worked there from 2010-2012, and another stint from 2014-2016.

Yeah. All the changes back then were because of Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC), which is why it went from Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) to San Antonio Military Medical Center (SAMMC).

Edit: And yep. Even in 2010 those signs that said BAMC still hadn't been replaced.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I agree regarding the indianapolis episode. That was the closest Dan has got to capturing hid original format since the very early days. Although i jokingly pretend that his current msin series on Japan is actually due to him trying to find a natural starting point for the indianapolis episode :)

the interview episodes have all been pretty good and it's nice that Dan promotes others. Peter Hart came across well regarding world war one and the chat with the four star general was a great insight into how military leaders think and operate with civilian leadership.

it's a shame he's essentially shelved common sense. I think there are still topics he can discuss that don't involve trump but addendum is proving fun between his hardcore history installments.

There is a new Hardcore History episode: Supernova in the East II.

4 hours ago, Astromech said:

There is a new Hardcore History episode: Supernova in the East II.

I've started it - That's my walk to work sorted for the next 3 days :) So far he's taking a hell of a long time working up to saying the Japanese committed atrocities in China. I think he could really do with an editor who says "look that's enough context/build-up"

6 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I do look at his withdrawal from Common Sense as a manifestation of ideological weakness on his part. However, he was pretty dead on in the last episode when he basically said "If you think you need this episode you won't be satisfied. If you think you want this episode you won't be satisfied."

Like many a redeemable libertarian weirdo he seems incapable of facing political realities without immediately punting responsibility for the sake of some long lost idea of impartiality.

I guess the situation in the USA is a bit like Brexit in the UK where it seems to eclipse everything. Otherwise I'd say there's plenty of things he could still be discussing politically that isn't Trump centred. I guess he's in a little bit of a sulk as he got the president who showed the weakness in the system he's always proclaimed but I suspect he's a little embarrassed at how anti Clinton and Obama he was - probably thinking he'd rather have poor democrats in charge over Trump.

10 minutes ago, red snow said:

the president who showed the weakness in the system he's always proclaimed but I suspect he's a little embarrassed at how anti Clinton and Obama he was - probably thinking he'd rather have poor democrats in charge over Trump.

Exactly. Between embarrassment and an inability to give up his 'objectivity' (which is really just smug superiority) he has nothing he can say.

I know that sounds a little harsh, and I suppose it is, but I really like Carlin and expect more from him. Not necessarily in an 'I'm entitled to more shows' way, but it always frustrates me when smart people turtle up instead of being honest with themselves and or their audience.

3 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Exactly. Between embarrassment and an inability to give up his 'objectivity' (which is really just smug superiority) he has nothing he can say.

I know that sounds a little harsh, and I suppose it is, but I really like Carlin and expect more from him. Not necessarily in an 'I'm entitled to more shows' way, but it always frustrates me when smart people turtle up instead of being honest with themselves and or their audience.

I think he sort of admitted he was wrong and I do get the impression he's been getting a lot of flak from both sides of the political spectrum for saying too much/not enough but it seems a bit off how he goes silent when Trump is in charge. He should be commenting on the government shut-down and his opinion on it. I guess he should be heartened given how he's always complaining how the President has too much power. Like you say we can't make him make shows but it does seem remiss of him to not say anything because he's not happy about it/sick of it.

I'd hope he'd get back in the game when the next elections come round. I'd even settle for him commenting on things outside of USA - his take on Brexit, Russia etc would probably be interesting given he has no skin in the game (as he'd say)

Once he got past the preamble it was a great episode. I particularly liked how he got across the notion that while it seemed insane it possibly was the only option where Japan might come out on top was to start a war with the USA. Even more crazy when they relied on the USA to fuel their Navy! Also liked how Dan was neutral enough to "appreciate" pearl harbor as one of the most audacious/surprising military moves in the modern era. It still surprises me how there was outrage at not declaring war first - it seems such a bizarre rule of war, especially when it's integral to success not to declare war.

Archived