Star Wars Thread: I KNOW WHAT THAT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jace, Extat

14 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

If they podracer got shot and was bleeding from his nuts? Yes.

At least the podracer can always console themselves with the fact they were comfortably in control of the race until the force made their opponent inexplicably faster.

Said podracer would probably also want to avoid punching themselves in their wounds in future - though maybe they were checking they actually had been shot, as Chewie's crossbow is shown in the film to be a midgar cannon of a weapon, and surely would have caused far more damage than it did. 

11 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I didn't have much of problem with Rey's Force virtuosity in TFA because I thought there would be a reason for it.  I thought maybe she had been at Luke's Jedi Academy as a child, and coming into contact with Kylo Ren reawakened her Force muscles.  Even if this was never the intended background for Rey, they could have set up her Force excellence by showing how she had used it whilst growing up on Jakku, and it was just always a part if her, and she had never put a name to it. 

So now the virtuosity hasn't been explained in that way (thus far, we have to concede) and there has been no exposition of the type you describe, do you still feel the same?

11 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I also didn't have a massive problem with her beating Ren in a lightsaber battle.  Firstly she is an accomplished fighter.  Surviving on Jakku  since she was a toddler, she must have fought nearly every day of her life, so she knows what it is like to fight to save her life.  And secondly, I don't think Ren was trying to kill her.  He was fascinated by her and wanted to train her.  Also, I think he either underestimated her or overestimated himself (as he did with Finn, hence Finn was able to get a touch on him).  And he was very injured from being shot by Chewie.  All of that may also account for the reason he fought her at all, and didn't just subdue or freeze her with the Force magic he used in on her at Maz's place.

Accomplished fighter, yes, but as I understand it, even the most accomplished fighter would be a clueless light saber duelist the very first time they did it - it's a very difficult weapon to master owing to the fact the blade is completely weightless?

And absolutely fair enough if you're saying Kylo Ren's hubris/human curiosity played a part, but the injury thing is hugely overplayed. Ren catches Finn and Rey up fast enough, after all - even though they're miles away from him - and before fighting Finn, force throws Rey like a rag doll. If anything Finn getting a touch on him is a worse case of overpowering. Earlier in the film, Finn gets battered by a storm trooper with a space truncheon, and his only heightened power seems to be that of the one liner. I'm not complaining there by the way - the Rey/Finn relationship, and John and Daisy's performances - particularly comedically - were the highlight of the film for me. The, imho, complete implausibility of the last fight,  however, remains the nadir.

3 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

It keeps coming up in discussions, but I’ve always interpreted Luke drinking the breastmilk as a joke taking the piss out of the nostalgia bait that we typically expect.

”Oh yeah, a mild twist on the classic Star Wars blue milk thing. How predic- oh god that’s revolting!”

I dunno, I just thought it was a funny bit of meta humour.

I agree with the interpretation of this meta joke. I chuckled. I didn't mind the throwing away of the lightsabre either. Nice bit of anti-climactic humour, I thought (despite the fact I could hear my friends teeth grinding).

It was when Yoda showed up, destroyed the whole Jedi history, and delivered a smug lecture on 'letting things go', which was clearly directed at devoted fans,  and which might as well have been personally voiced by Rian Johnson, that the joke wore thin. 

@Darth Richard II et al have bigged up Rebels, and I'd agree that this explored the, 'third way' or grey/post Jedi esque ambiguity in a far better way - even if it was aimed at kids. What's more, they did it by expanding on Jedi history - and introducing cool new force entities. If half as much thought and creativity goes into the third sequel film, I'll be slap bang back on board. 

23 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

He didn’t destroy the history though. They took all the books.

Good point. If we accept this whole escapade was a meta-joke, maybe this symbolises that future films will respectfully explore Jedi history and how it informs the new incarnation. It might even explain why the handfull of resistance survivors see out the film by vapidly grinning at each other. They must know something we don't. 

53 minutes ago, Bastard of Bournemouth said:

So now the virtuosity hasn't been explained in that way (thus far, we have to concede) and there has been no exposition of the type you describe, do you still feel the same?

To be honest, I lost much of my interest in these new films when TLJ did not follow through with a lot of the set up in TFA.  Fair enough, Rey's parents were filthy junk traders, and her Force abilities just sprung up in a response to Ren.  That's utterly lame for me, but that seems to be what TLJ was saying.  I'll see IX obviously, but it almost feels like an obligation. So no, I don't feel the same.  I feel ... nothing.

Accomplished fighter, yes, but as I understand it, even the most accomplished fighter would be a clueless light saber duelist the very first time they did it - it's a very difficult weapon to master owing to the fact the blade is completely weightless?

I don't know the physics of how lightsabers work ;)  But I did appreciate that she wielded it in that fight as she had wielded her stick.  And until she let the Force in she was backing away and fending him off.

And absolutely fair enough if you're saying Kylo Ren's hubris/human curiosity played a part, but the injury thing is hugely overplayed. Ren catches Finn and Rey up fast enough, after all - even though they're miles away from him - and before fighting Finn, force throws Rey like a rag doll. If anything Finn getting a touch on him is a worse case of overpowering. Earlier in the film, Finn gets battered by a storm trooper with a space truncheon, and his only heightened power seems to be that of the one liner. I'm not complaining there by the way - the Rey/Finn relationship, and John and Daisy's performances - particularly comedically - were the highlight of the film for me. The, imho, complete implausibility of the last fight,  however, remains the nadir.

Yeah the fight makes no sense, really.  Ren had no need to fight her at all, unless he was assessing her.  He could just have frozen her or knocked her out.

But Rey's sword in the stone moment is so so wonderful that I will forgive the non-sensicalness of it all.  For me, that's the best moment in this new trilogy.  It's beautifully shot and acted.  The music is perfect.  And it's emotional and uplifting every time I watch it

Without going into it.. Anakin is a far worse Mary Sue than Rey is, and is much more irritating. That doesn't mean that Rey should escape criticism on that front, she is definitely overpowered, seemingly by design, but she also has flaws so its not all bad.

Some people however think not only is she a Mary Sue.. but that its a good thing.. for women.

https://www.theverge.com/2015/12/19/10626896/star-wars-the-force-awakens-rey-mary-sue-feminist

Just now, Mosi Mynn said:

Can you succinctly explain why Anakin is a Mary Sue?

I'm really thinking about TPM Anakin, who is reprehensibly competent in an irritating way, being a genius robot mechanic, pod racer and fighter pilot, he is almost without flaw. I guess you are also supposed to think he is cute and funny as well. 

He loses his Mary Sue Status later on when he becomes a drippy moping teenager.

30 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I don't know the physics of how lightsabers work ;)  But I did appreciate that she wielded it in that fight as she had wielded her stick.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_combat/Legends

This is good for a geek out, if you're interested (though I'm guessing probably not. My life is pretty sad :D). 

Also, it is 'legends' and not 'canon', where even Luke Skywalker (/Rhian Johnson) takes the piss out of lightsabres so you're technically correct. 

30 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

But Rey's sword in the stone moment is so so wonderful that I will forgive the non-sensicalness of it all.  For me, that's the best moment in this new trilogy.  It's beautifully shot and acted.  The music is perfect.  And it's emotional and uplifting every time I watch it

To be fair, that bit is pretty awesome :)

27 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I'm really thinking about TPM Anakin, who is reprehensibly competent in an irritating way, being a genius robot mechanic, pod racer and fighter pilot, he is almost without flaw. I guess you are also supposed to think he is cute and funny as well. 

He loses his Mary Sue Status later on when he becomes a drippy moping teenager.

I thought a lot of that - especially being the only human able to pod-race, and subsequent piloting skills - was because of the Force?

He's only a child in TPM.  To me, he's no more irritating or competent than the kid in Home Alone or Lyra fro  HDM or even Harry Potter in the first book - take that however you want to! :rofl:

5 minutes ago, Bastard of Bournemouth said:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_combat/Legends

This is good for a geek out, if you're interested (though I'm guessing probably not. My life is pretty sad :D). 

Also, it is 'legends' and not 'canon', where even Luke Skywalker (/Rhian Johnson) takes the piss out of lightsabres so you're technically correct. 

Ha! Thanks - I'll give it a read :)

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I thought you’d appriacte that. Of course in another site people are already accusing me of being a Disney plant (seriously) and screaming about SJWs. :dunno:

It could use a better editor, but it's aight.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Dunno if this was ever posted in the, um, post TLJ drama, but I'm posting it since I just read it today.

https://observer.com/2018/07/film-crit-hulk-the-beautiful-ugly-and-possessive-hearts-of-star-wars/

Liked that a lot.  Helps put a lot of my thoughts on Last Jedi in proper perspective.  I still have some issues with the movie in general, but they're not with the themes and the arcs or most of what's in that article.

Archived