Star Wars Thread: I KNOW WHAT THAT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jace, Extat

A nice thing to do to make amends would be a post credits scene where all the dead jedi ghosts appear to talk to luke about a recent disturbance in the force that has them very concerned, and  then they turn and look straight into the camera, and raise their hands to telekinetically lift the movies' senior production staff off their director's chairs and bring them into the frame, then start force choking them while luke asks them to apologize for the new movies and for killing him off, leaning in close to try and hear if their gurgling sounds include an i'm sorry.

6 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Here's to them getting bored halfway through the first act of the second film and phoning the rest in.

My concern is the double edged sword of them using GOT actors in their films. I'd be cool with a lot of the older actors appearing and dubious about some of the younger ones eg kit harrangton, sophie turner. Emilia Clarke us already a star wars alumni so safe there.

Lena Headey reprising a kick ass role as a sith or rogue jedi would be fun. Especially after several years of playing a sit around queen.

Yeah, about the only optimistic thing about it is that these films are not supposed to be connected to the Skywalker stuff, so all fans should approach this with little expectations of seeing the childhood come back, and at the same time seeing maybe a GoT-like Star Wars. Also, maybe they'll get Ramin Djawadi to do the score. Williams will certainly be out.

24 minutes ago, red snow said:

My concern is the double edged sword of them using GOT actors in their films. I'd be cool with a lot of the older actors appearing and dubious about some of the younger ones eg kit harrangton, sophie turner. Emilia Clarke us already a star wars alumni so safe there.

Lena Headey reprising a kick ass role as a sith or rogue jedi would be fun. Especially after several years of playing a sit around queen.

I hear their overarching story pitch was an alternate reality where the Sepratists won the war. Focusing on a wealthy senatorial land owning dynasty on Dantooine.

12 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I hear their overarching story pitch was an alternate reality where the Sepratists won the war. Focusing on a wealthy senatorial land owning dynasty on Dantooine.

Dantooine is far too remote for such controversy. It should be the Antilles family on Alderaan, they had no issues owning droids.

10 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Dantooine is far too remote for such controversy. It should be the Antilles family on Alderaan, they had no issues owning droids.

Good call. I was thinking the Panaca's on Naboo at first but then made the mistake of applying good taste to the hypothetical plot.

We all know Benioff and Weis won't.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I don't know, I'm pretty excited honestly.

I can't wait to finally see some boobs and space prostitutes in Star Wars!

This thread is entirely fascinating.  Most importantly because a bunch of seasoned asoiaf-ers continue to argue about TLJ over a year after it came out.  I could write a thesis about that, and probably get it accepted at a shitty university.  I thought TLJ was a let down, and I thought Rogue One was really good.  What I don't get is arguing about it endlessly, but can't judge there.

Mention this because I rewatched both Rogue One and TLJ in the past week.  Gotta admit, TLJ is growing on me.  Once you know what Luke is going to do, it's easier to buy into it.  But I still fundamentally disagree on that decision, as well as the way the film dealt with all the other new main characters.  The more I watch it, the more I like it yeah, but also the more I see how they missed opportunities to focus on the people we're supposed to care about in better ways.

As for that article linked a few pages back that generated new conversation, ugh.  What an annoying essay.  I don't care who you're friends with, make your point in - AT LEAST - the first few paragraphs.  I got ten graphs in and gave up because there didn't seem to be any point developing.  I can motivate a topic infinitely better and I write on the structural characteristics of bureaucracy.

40 minutes ago, DMC said:

Mention this because I rewatched both Rogue One and TLJ in the past week.  Gotta admit, TLJ is growing on me.  Once you know what Luke is going to do, it's easier to buy into it.  

Is it easier to accept the movie flip flopping on one of its central themes?  Or does Luke do exactly what Finn was trying to do except Finn was stopped because it was wrong still?

14 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Is it easier to accept the movie flip flopping on one of its central themes?  Or does Luke do exactly what Finn was trying to do except Finn was stopped because it was wrong still?

Kind of a silly comparison.  Finn is making a snap judgment.  Luke is accepting his role and fate.  The movie has a lot of problems IMO,  but that ain't one of them.

I write about beauracracy structure

Mmmmm, beauracracy grows more of itself, like a living organism.  That's it's structure, no?   In space too , with coruscant as a cautionary tale.  What have i won?   Oh, right, we're not on a gameshow.  I keep forgetting.

And my god those space prostitutes would have to be ready for anything.

What if Luke's death is contageous because of the force, and all the other characters off themselves too in the first act of the next movie.   That'd be a way for the whole cast to signal their virtue equally, which shows that the future is inclusive of everyone.  Porgs inherit the galaxy.  The porgs win, the audience wins, it's a win win.

We're gonna see Snoke force-pull his two halves back together aren't we?   He'll fuse into one, and get this guilty look like he's enjoying it too much.

A little aside from the current discussion.

Damn, the Star Wars galaxy must be chock-full of garden worlds, to the point where perfectly livable planets are so abundant that even after thousands of years space exploration/colonization these things are laying around uninhabited for just anyone to snap up.

I get why the Ewok world wasn't settled. I'd assume the Old Republic had some none interference policy that prevented the exploitation of primitive species. The same for Yavin 4. I might be remembering it wrong, but I think that also had a pre-spaceflight species on it.

But that first rebel base in The Last Jedi? Unless the trees give you cancer after long periods of exposure there doesn't seem to be any other explanation why it doesn't have any major cities on it.

In star wars we dont as a rule see planets with good population sizes. They're either alien homeworlds, colony types specialized in one industry, or huge sprawling megacities. 

My suspicion is that space travel is rare and expensive for most people, so moving people is hard to do in general. There isn't much incentive to move around unless you're some kind of libertarian freak like Luke's uncle or a hermit like Yoda or running a literal mad science experiment like the kamino folks.

21 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Mmmmm, beauracracy grows more of itself, like a living organism.  That's it's structure, no?   In space too , with coruscant as a cautionary tale.  What have i won?   Oh, right, we're not on a gameshow.  I keep forgetting.

Are..are these legit questions?  Or just you rambling?  Cuz it seems to be the latter.  Although I'm interested in the self-answer to the second question - what have you won?

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

Finn was stopped because his death would not have stopped the canon and would have been a pointless sacrifice.

Edit: You also assume Luke knew what he did would kill him.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

This thread is entirely fascinating.  Most importantly because a bunch of seasoned asoiaf-ers continue to argue about TLJ over a year after it came out.  I could write a thesis about that, and probably get it accepted at a shitty university.  I thought TLJ was a let down, and I thought Rogue One was really good.  What I don't get is arguing about it endlessly, but can't judge there.

To be fair this forum self selects for people who want to argue about old things endlessly, and has since at least 2002. When you're waiting nearly a decade between books you're good at diving into minutiae. 

Uh, maybe you have more knowledge of star wars cannon construction than the regular viewer but in the movie it looked like finn's sacrifice would have been meaningful and they didn't explain otherwise.. so that stood out like a goiter.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

Although I'm interested in the self-answer to the second question - what have you won?

One democrat.

Archived