Star Wars Thread: I KNOW WHAT THAT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jace, Extat

1 minute ago, A True Kaniggit said:

But what if a jedi says, "Only a sith deals in absolutes".

That statement sounds pretty absolute.

Was it ever really a jedi in the first place?

Did that tree ever actually fall?

This actually gets incredibly complicated if you even start to try to formalize the model.  So only the Sith deal in absolutes?  Ok.  So that suggests the Jedi do not.  Then that suggests an uncertainty vs. certainty game.  Not gonna tree that out, but advantage Sith.  Then, again, I could play with this and regularize the stochasticity.  The Skywalkers do that, which makes the whole exercise even more ridiculous than originally fathomed.

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

In star wars we dont as a rule see planets with good population sizes. They're either alien homeworlds, colony types specialized in one industry, or huge sprawling megacities. 

My suspicion is that space travel is rare and expensive for most people, so moving people is hard to do in general. There isn't much incentive to move around unless you're some kind of libertarian freak like Luke's uncle or a hermit like Yoda or running a literal mad science experiment like the kamino folks.

If George hadn't ruined the Clone Wars we could have believed the galaxy was hugely depopulated in the fighting against endless evil factory produced soldiers.

28 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well I try not to assume everyone who hated TLJ is one of THEM, but you may be on to something.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

Only a sith deals in absolutes.

You two are out of bounds on this one. The First Order deployed that cannon from the remnants of their totally fucked fleet for a reason. The Rebels were holding out hoping someone would come and save them... so buying time by sacrificing yourself to make the FO have to cut or blast their way in with conventional weapons makes perfect sense. 

So Rose risking both death and horrible back injuries to herself and Finn makes not a lick of goddamn sense when she says "we win by saving what we love" while IN THE BACKGROUND the thing they love is being peeled apart like an orange.

They had no idea Luke was (kinda) there to buy them time, and AT-AT's don't carry fucking ship based turbolasers. Did you see that door? It was like ten foot thick steel! It wouldda taken hours to blast through that! Hours they could have spent pleading for help or finding an escape route. 

Great news!

I learned a new word today. :thumbsup:

Reveal hidden contents

Cause knowledge is power!

Why are you hiding the contents that knowledge is power?  GI Joe would not approve!

4 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

So Rose risking both death and horrible back injuries to herself and Finn makes not a lick of goddamn sense when she says "we win by saving what we love" while IN THE BACKGROUND the thing they love is being peeled apart like an orange.

You have yet to make any argument for why Rose's intervention changed anything, except saving Finn's life.  Which was my point.

7 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Did you see that door? It was like ten foot thick steel! It wouldda taken hours to blast through that! Hours they could have spent pleading for help or finding an escape route. 

Good thing that door was built into, you know, dirt.

So I coulda used my AT-ATs to blast a way in by firing a tunnel next to that door. Cause our ancient ancestors used to do that kinda shit with TNT. And those bastards didn't even have atmospheric flight yet.

10 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yes except Finn would not have stopped the canon. So that throws that whole argument out the window.

How do you know that!?! They came out to attack the fucking thing for a reason I assume! He got pretty goddamn close when she ran into him. And she doesn't say "you couldn't have killed it" she says he just shouldn't.

7 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Good thing that door was built into, you know, dirt.

So I coulda used my AT-ATs to blast a way in by firing a tunnel next to that door. Cause our ancient ancestors used to do that kinda shit with TNT. And those bastards didn't even have atmospheric flight yet.

Always the opportunist, never the strategist. 

Climbing up a ditch under a door that blocks your support artillery and air power while the Rebellion can make defensive positions (elevated ones no less) is a good way to get fucking massacred.

And if you're suggesting firing into the mountain itself, you're wrong. Every vehicle firing at one exact point made a four or five foot hole in -as you said- dirt after like a solid 45 seconds. Most rocks are significantly harder than dirt.

This line of thinking is supported by the movie itself because they think they'll be safe there for a while until the cannon is deployed.

2 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Because it’s been explained by cast and crew and the tie in comic and novels and on repeat viewings it’s really obvious as the canon is about to fire right into Finns face. I’ve already said this twice. At least read my posts.

I do read your posts. The cannon doesn't fire until they've crashed, Finn gets out of his scooter, runs to Rose's, wakes her up, listens to her speech, and is kissing her.

They're like a hundred-fifty yards away when they crash. Are you saying his little ship couldn't have crossed that distance in the 30 or so seconds left? I CAN RUN THAT. Right now. It would be barely a brisk jog, and I'm an aging alcoholic with three screws in my ankle.

And don't give me the rationalizations from cast, crew, tie-ins. Shit should be clear in the film or else you GASP!!!! 

Maybe made a bad film?

13 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Always the opportunist, never the strategist. 

1) Climbing up a ditch under a door that blocks your support artillery and air power while the Rebellion can make defensive positions (elevated ones no less) is a good way to get fucking massacred.

And if you're suggesting firing into the mountain itself, you're wrong. Every vehicle firing at one exact point made a four or five foot hole in -as you said- dirt after like a solid 45 seconds. 2) Most rocks are significantly harder than dirt.

1) Yo. I'm the First Order. There are like 50 fighters left in there. I'm sending troops into that machine gun fire until every resistance fighter is dead. Even if they kill me at a 50 to 1 ratio. What's that 2,500 dead? You know how many died when Starkiller base blew?

2) Boom! You say it's actually solid rock and not dirt? Then that's a huge boon to me.

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I do read your posts. The cannon doesn't fire until they've crashed, Finn gets out of his scooter, runs to Rose's, wakes her up, listens to her speech, and is kissing her.

They're like a hundred-fifty yards away when they crash. Are you saying his little ship couldn't have crossed that distance in the 30 or so seconds left? I CAN RUN THAT. Right now. It would be barely a brisk jog, and I'm an aging alcoholic with three screws in my ankle.

And don't give me the rationalizations from cast, crew, tie-ins. Shit should be clear in the film or else you GASP!!!! 

Maybe made a bad film?

That’s hilarious coming from someone who loved the old EU so much.

and it is about to fire. Go watch the film again. Or don’t, I give up.

5 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Maybe made a bad film?

I'm an aging alcoholic with no screws in my ankle and I still don't see why that matters.  How is Finn, or Rose, on their own gonna stop anything?  Their ships are down.  Rose is, like, dying.  This complaint makes no sense to me.  And I don't even like the movie.

1) Yo. I'm the First Order. There are like 50 rebels left in there. I'm sending troops into that machine gun fire until they are overun. Even if they kill me at a 50 to 1 ratio. What's that 2,500 dead? You know how many died when Starkiller base blew?

2) Boom! You say it's actually solid rock and not dirt? Then that's a huge boon to me.

Where are these endless FO legions? Are they on the fleet that's burning in space? Probably gonna be a real chore to find 2,500 guys in fighting shape, stop rescue efforts, transport them to the field, and send them into a meat grinder. Could take a while. 

We only see the AT-AT's, the cannon, and some tugs. Those AT-AT's probably hold what? 50? Maybe 100 guys if it's really cramped?

I don't get your second point. 1 round of modern artillery will make a bigger hole in dirt than the lasers did in hundreds. Shooting artillery through a mountain would take an ungodly amount of munitions, which can we agree might be hard to organize with the fleet on fire!?!

Is this really that hard? Presumably the FO sat there setting up the cannon because they needed it right? If it woulda taken five minutes to blast a hole in the rock wall they could have just fucking done that. And if not? Every minute of time could lead to something. One man's life (they lost a helluva lot more than that in the attack on the cannon) is cheap to buy the 20-50 left another hour to figure out a strategy or build defenses inside.

Just now, Darth Richard II said:

That’s hilarious coming from someone who loved the old EU so much.

Ha! 'Loved'???? You must be confused. The EU loved me. That's why it always hit me when I talked back. And I stayed because no other series woulda wanted such a disrespectful bitch.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm an aging alcoholic with no screws in my ankle and I still don't see why that matters.  How is Finn, or Rose, on their own gonna stop anything?  Their ships are down.  Rose is, like, dying.  This complaint makes no sense to me.  And I don't even like the movie.

I meant before she crashes into him.

As in 'his little ship could presumably travel 150 yards in 30 seconds if she didn't crash it.'

I thought his plan of driving his vehicle inside of the technologically complicated machine's inner workings seemed like a good way to break it.

Probably would have made sense to arc into the opening instead of driving through the beam though. 

Archived