Star Wars Thread: I KNOW WHAT THAT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jace, Extat

6 hours ago, Kalbear said:

And that's fine! That's how everyone works. I think that the general chase and running out of fuel thing just didn't work well enough as a dramatic hook no matter how realistic in universe it was. It just didn't feel desperate enough. Compare that with a similar plot idea in BSG with 33, one of the best episodes of TV ever, and you can see that it isn't about the beat itself - it's about how they handled the drama.  

Same. I loved the movie and I still wasn't convinced by that aspect. It just so happens that the parts of the movie that did work for me worked so well that this didn't significantly impact my enjoyment of the movie. I even think the "why they stopped in the middle of nowhere" is reasonably answered, but that answer doesn't make the chase work anyway.

For the record I think that answer is that they were always going to Crait and simply stopped some distance away for <unspecified reasons>. In reality the unspecified reasons is "in case they're followed" which doesn't make sense in universe as they were not concerned about hyperspace tracking so its circular reasoning. I just don't think it can be a coincidence that the "middle of nowhere" place they stopped was within a couple of days of sublight travel from Crait, at sublight speeds you barely get anywhere at all.

All the Luke and Rey and Kylo Ren stuff was more than enough to carry the movie for me and it wasn't the only thing I liked. When he finally took action, Luke's actions were the most perfect solution (to me) to the problem and the image of him meditating on a rock calling back to binary sunset as he faded to become one with the force was just such an emotionally powerful moment that I'd forgive a lot just for that.

On 2/14/2019 at 11:24 PM, Darth Richard II said:

I don't think Vader actually gets to pick his fleet commanders.

He got to pick Piett even just promoted him unilaterally.  In New Hope?  Absolutely not.  But at that point Vader gets to do what Vader wants.

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

That's not really picking, so much as killing the idiot in charge and letting the enxt dude have a shot at it.

Well I guess I'll have to trust you that the Imperial Navy works like that for anyone and not just Vader then,  He actually promoted Captain Piett without acknowledging the hierarchy and then that promotion held up! I mean I guess it could work unlike all known military because it's in "a galaxy far far away", as incredibly lazy as that is.  Clearly at the very least he thinks he has that kind of power.

8 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Well I guess I'll have to trust you that the Imperial Navy works like that for anyone and not just Vader then,  He actually promoted Captain Piett without acknowledging the hierarchy and then that promotion held up! I mean I guess it could work unlike all known military because it's in "a galaxy far far away", as incredibly lazy as that is.  Clearly at the very least he thinks he has that kind of power.

I'm with you here. Vader is clearly like the Heinrich Himmler of the Empire. He's part of and not part of the military and technically subordinate to certain civilian offices (like Tarkin's) but when the SS wants something the SS gets it.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:34 AM, Ran said:

Check out Inside Llewyn Davis for more of Isaac. A Most Violent Year is also quite good. Gleeson was great in the Black Mirror episode "Be Right Back"

Isaac is also outstanding in HBO's Show Me a Hero, the greatest drama mini-series ever made about housing district rezoning (from the makers of The Wire).

And that's fine! That's how everyone works. I think that the general chase and running out of fuel thing just didn't work well enough as a dramatic hook no matter how realistic in universe it was. It just didn't feel desperate enough. Compare that with a similar plot idea in BSG with 33, one of the best episodes of TV ever, and you can see that it isn't about the beat itself - it's about how they handled the drama.  

Rian Johnson is a massive fan of BSG and I think even mentioned 33 specifically years ago as an example of great television, so it's entirely possible he just stole the idea.

46 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

It’s not even the best HBO miniseries, that would be Band of Brothers

Well, yes, but Band of Brothers isn't about housing district rezoning. Apart from when they destroy a couple of French villages in firefights, I guess.

On 2/17/2019 at 5:38 PM, Werthead said:
On 2/11/2019 at 10:34 AM, Ran said:

Ran: Check out Inside Llewyn Davis for more of Isaac. A Most Violent Year is also quite good. Gleeson was great in the Black Mirror episode "Be Right Back"

Isaac is also outstanding in HBO's Show Me a Hero, the greatest drama mini-series ever made about housing district rezoning (from the makers of The Wire).

Yeah he had a period of great movies, those are all good, Show me a Hero was a great miniseries. Violent Year good movie, Inside Lewyn Davis was plain excellent.

Glad he's part of the superb Dune cast. Other upcoming flick is the star studded Triple Frontier next month

27 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Yeah he had a period of great movies, those are all good, Show me a Hero was a great miniseries. Violent Year good movie, Inside Lewyn Davis was plain excellent.

Glad he's part of the superb Dune cast. Other upcoming flick is the star studded Triple Frontier next month

He's also in the post credits scene of Into the Spiderverse which is the best part of a good movie.

You know I’ve always wondered how exactly Vader planned to Usurp Palpatine with Luke. I mean I could see them killing Palps but how would they take control of the empire? I mean Vader doesn’t seem to have much military or political support. Once Palps is dead Vader would probably be gotten away with by the person who does. 

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

You know I’ve always wondered how exactly Vader planned to Usurp Palpatine with Luke. I mean I could see them killing Palps but how would they take control of the empire? I mean Vader doesn’t seem to have much military or political support. Once Palps is dead Vader would probably be gotten away with by the person who does. 

This is where the Himmler comparisons become even more acute.

Archived