Star Wars Thread: I KNOW WHAT THAT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jace, Extat

7 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I’ll probably regret asking this but what is this a reference to?

Knights of the Old Republic (KotOR video game).

DR II, I'm sorry to say - and I think this is about the first that I've disagreed with you - YA WRONG YOU MEATBAG!

52 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Simon Pegg says he regrets having hated on Jar-Jar Binks in the past and comments on the toxicity of the SW fandom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcu_BqK-9rQ

Edit: oh crap, that's like... 6 months old! Dunno why this is popping now on facebook... Anyway, still relevant today imho.

He should have no regrets, when he said those things it was like a breath of fresh air for me and only made me like him more. Sure the SW fanboys are pretty toxic, but I'd say they are toxic  people in general, not because of Star Wars. Plus Jar Jar is an abomination. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

He should have no regrets, when he said those things it was like a breath of fresh air for me and only made me like him more. Sure the SW fanboys are pretty toxic, but I'd say they are toxic  people in general, not because of Star Wars. Plus Jar Jar is an abomination. 

Yeah, Jar Jar at worst is an annoying character, that’s looney antics mainly coalesced in one film. Its concept isn’t such a crime that the actor playing it should be disparaged over the point of being depressed to the point of being suicidal. 

On 2/25/2019 at 7:17 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Yeah, Jar Jar at worst is an annoying character, that’s looney antics mainly coalesced in one film. Its concept isn’t such a crime that the actor playing it should be disparaged over the point of being depressed to the point of being suicidal. 

It's not the only actor this toxic fandom has driven to that point. Young Anakin, the girl from the last movie, and so on. The toxicity isnt solely limited to the Incels either, You just have to look at this thread to see what a bunch of angry nerds we are. Don't like the new Star Wars? Well then, you're probably a woman hating nazi fuck. riiiight. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2019 at 3:18 AM, Relic said:

It's not the only actor this toxic fandom has driven to that point. Young Anakin, the girl from the last movie, and so on. The toxicity isnt solely limited to the Incels either, You just have to look at this thread to see what a bunch of angry nerds we are. Don't like the new Star Wars? Well then, you're probably a woman hating nazi fuck. riiiight. 

I think this sort of could be expected when something is as popular as Star Wars. People do take this way too seriously. 

On 2/26/2019 at 10:18 PM, Relic said:

I think the problem here is that the woman hating nazis do hate star wars and they're the ones spamming out videos on youtube. Which google then spams everyone else with to try and maximise its own profits. There are plenty of other reasons not to like it, but the nazis take up all the oxygen and prevent attempting to discuss that shit. And it doesnt help avoid that impression when those that didn't like it for other reasons insult those that did simply for liking it - I'm pretty sure you've done that and I know Jace has done it and I sure as fuck don't think either of you are nazis, it just matches the tone those fucks set.

So like it or don't like it, but lets avoid being like them.

On 2/26/2019 at 1:41 PM, Bittersweet Distractor said:

HK-47 is awesome, by far my favourite droid in SW, in fact is even say he’s my second favourite character overall!.

Droids are completely fungible so really there is no reason beyond fan service to have the original two in the new series. It would be like if James Bond was still driving around in his Lotus Esprit in the new movies. So dumb. BB-8, the Rogue One droid, etc... - that makes sense in a giant universe that many different droids are involved in many different stories. 

HK-47 was the best. Well trod territory but I wish there was a modern equivalent of KotOR...

9 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I think this sort of could be expected when something is as popular as Star Wars. People do take this way too seriously. 

Uh, that's not the point.  The point is it happened.  Are you skynet?  "Yes this should have happened."  Ok, point is it sucks for an actual person that absolutely does not deserve it.

6 minutes ago, karaddin said:

There are plenty of other reasons not to like it, but the nazis take up all the oxygen and prevent attempting to discuss that shit.

I was pretty disappointed with the TLJ.  And Force Awakens wasn't that great either.  I agree sometimes valid arguments get drowned out, but I think these threads have been pretty good about that, actually.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Uh, that's not the point.  The point is it happened.  Are you skynet "Yes this should have happened."  Ok, point is it sucks for an actual person that absolutely does not deserve it.

Literally my second to last post here was basically saying the actor who played Jar Jar didn’t deserve nearly the amount of fan hate he got. My point was that SW isn’t really unique in having a few of it’s fans overreact and act badly when they see something as “ruining” what they love. 

Just now, Varysblackfyre321 said:

My point was that SW isn’t really unique in having a few of it’s fans overreact and act badly when they see something as “ruining” what they love.

And my point is either show some sympathy or don't respond at all.  Otherwise it comes off dickish.  Plus, fans hounding this dude for years, oftentimes as a kid, is not the same as the usual twitter abuse, so also take that into consideration.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

I was pretty disappointed with the TLJ.  And Force Awakens wasn't that great either.  I agree sometimes valid arguments get drowned out, but I think these threads have been pretty good about that, actually.

Its been patchy - there was a block of like 5-10 pages in the prior thread that felt pretty hostile to a positive view of the movie but on the whole I do think its reasonably open. I think the other issue that has shown up in this thread is some people with knowledge of some posters wider posting habits have made inferences about what their real issue with the movie was and other posters have seen that without awareness of said posting habits and felt that it was leaping to conclusions about that poster on the basis of only comments in this thread. /vagueexplanation

Archived