Star Wars Thread: I KNOW WHAT THAT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jace, Extat

10 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I don’t really mind the midiclorian thing.

I struggle to see how anyone can view the Midichlorian thing as anything except a dagger into the heart of Star Wars. I see it as maybe the single worst decision that Lucas ever made in the Prequels, and it's interesting how it has seemingly been totally backtracked onto in the new movies, or at least ignored.

The OT was set in a world of futuristic science fiction, and yet there was a spiritual element to that universe that hinted at something higher. It was a sense of awe you get from Religions in general, that there is something bigger going on. TPM managed to scrap all that and put it all down to a scientific explanation about germs. Awful.

Anakin’s journey throughout his journey I find could have been handled better.

Again the OT put forward a sense of awe and mystery about Vader that sparked the imagination and made you fear him. Maybe there was no way to show his story and maintain that mystery, but it could easily have been done better than this. Now we will always see a moaning teenager under that helmet where previously we saw a badass battle hardened psycho.

Really though, almost every single character who appears in the prequels and is also in the OT is automatically ruined. Its hard to think of a single character who came out with more depth and seemed more interesting. 

Obi Wan it turns out was a deathly dull version of James Bond with the charisma of a slug. Yoda we found out spent his time sitting in chairs when he wasn't bouncing off walls like a child's ball. Palpatine was a cackling lunatic. Only C3PO was exactly as annoying in both trilogies.

And the prequels gave us Star Wars the clone wars(cartoon), which I found to be the best thing ever. 

Unless you mean the original clone wars cartoon, then you are wrong.

I see so many of the arguments defending the prequels, which when you write them down sound like they make sense. Anakins struggle as a slave child, the evolution of the republic etc. On paper, great. In reality none of it worked and only served to destroy the mythos of the Star Wars universe, making it seem less magical and interesting. 

8 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Finally saw 'Ex Machina'.

I'm fucking furious.

For years I've heard about how great Domhall Gleeson and Oscar Isaacs were, but had never really seen them in anything other than Star Wars, Harry Potter, and X-Men.

Check out Inside Llewyn Davis for more of Isaac. A Most Violent Year is also quite good. Gleeson was great in the Black Mirror episode "Be Right Back"

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I struggle to see how anyone can view the Midichlorian thing as anything except a dagger into the heart of Star Wars. I see it as maybe the single worst decision that Lucas ever made in the Prequels, and it's interesting how it has seemingly been totally backtracked onto in the new movies, or at least ignored.

It’s not a big deal. At worst it shows there has been a scientific way to locate individuals with the force. To which only really  comes up in trying to locate Anakin. Given Star Wars is science-fantasy, I don’t see it as being world breaking.

The OT was set in a world of futuristic science fiction, and yet there was a spiritual element to that universe that hinted at something higher. It was a sense of awe you get from Religions in general, that there is something bigger going on. TPM managed to scrap all that and put it all down to a scientific explanation about germs. Awfu

Not really. Again the midiclorians indicate who is strong with the force-they are not said to be the force itself, nor do they explain how exactly the force even works nor what exactly is the force is and why it’s specifically found in large amounts in select individuals.

Now we will always see a moaning teenager under that helmet where previously we saw a badass battle hardened psycho.

Meh. I see a Luke that never properly developed due to the authority figures in his life seeking to control him completely. 

Really though, almost every single character who appears in the prequels and is also in the OT is automatically ruined. Its hard to think of a single character who came out with more depth and seemed more interesting. 

Obi Wan it turns out was a deathly dull version of James Bond with the charisma of a slug. Yoda we found out spent his time sitting in chairs when he wasn't bouncing off walls like a child's ball. Palpatine was a cackling lunatic. Only C3PO was exactly as annoying in both trilogies.

Wasn’t Palps in large part a cackling madman lunatic in the OT anyway lol?  And again I disagree. In the OT palps was merely the grand evil wizard that must be vanquished. There is no reason for why this archaic ghoul, is head of a galactic empire. In the Clone Wars we see why, and just how methodical, patient, and intelligent the man really is.  And meh. Ian’s performance I found to be adequate. I still chuckle when I watch the scene where he goes “hello there” to Grevious. Yoda and Obi-Wan weren’t simply the good guys in the clone wars. And overall Obi-Wan is shown to have more human failings in the original. He wasn’t always the wise old humble hermit. He was arrogant(in a way), overly prideful in the Jedi and it took seeing his entire order to fall for him to change. 

46 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

No. I fundamentally contend the newer cartoon is far superior than anything that’s been put on screen that’s Star Wars related. Yes, I find it better than the OT as well.

The Genndy Tartakovsky one I would agree with you, the one that replaced that I never really enjoyed, although I heard it gets better.

21 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The Genndy Tartakovsky one I would agree with you, the one that replaced that I never really enjoyed, although I heard it gets better.

It can be a slow burn, I found the end result to be more than worth it. Though yes, Gendry’s cartoon was awesome. Though I appreciate it more the spectacle.  

I'm down on this entire franchise... after TESB, it went seriously downhill, and ventured into they eye-rolling absurd...it's frustrating because there have been glimpses of brilliance... Rogue One was terrific... 

but starting with the Ewoks, it has been almost as if they've purposely tried to disappoint their fans, knowing that we'll go to the movies regardless (they are right) and sacrifice good story telling for being able to sell plushies in the Disney Store...

Kiddie Annakin was a terrible decision, and made the whole ep1 story just plain stupid... for the life of my I don;t understand why they didn;t make him a late-teen, Young adult (like Luke) so that everything --including his romance with Amadala-- would make sense... but no. ... Yet almost everyone loved the Darth Maul fight at the end... did they learn from that.?.. again, no. ... and then there is Jar Jar... 

The Annakin/Obi Wan fight was great... but insofar as the prequel trilogy goes, it was too little too late...

Then there are these last few movies... other than Rogue One, it's like they're made-for-broadcast-TV level writers mixed in with massive budgets... plot holes you can drive a death star through and jaw-dropping implausibilities... TFA was terrible... TLJ was laughably abysmal... but they had cool-looking ships and light sabers, so yay. 

They had a good rookie season (the frst 2 movies)... and after that, the franchise has been hitting like a utility infielder who hit one game winning home run (Rogue One) in the past few years.  

I watched ESB the other night as it was on tv, and my god, its beautiful in so many ways. It has pathos and depth, a soaring soundtrack, real emotion and breathless moments. Sometimes you tend to forget just how good it is. Its unsurprising that almost all the other SW movies fail to live up to that high.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

There's been some news lately, nothing much really, but it's been basically clarified that Benioff & Weiss did sign up to do a trilogy (previously it was just a series of films). They'll likely start on it after they finish with GoT.  

That will doubtless improve the quality. cough cough

8 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Here's to them getting bored halfway through the first act of the second film and phoning the rest in.

Ha, yeah, but there is also that they are good at spectacle, CGI and battles, those are things that SW has always been good at, mostly, they are weakest on good plotting and consistent characterization and motivation...the things that are weak already, so I can't imagine that a Dan and Dave SW movie will in any way be an improvement, more like a doubling down, the good might get better, the bad will probably get worse.

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I watched ESB the other night as it was on tv, and my god, its beautiful in so many ways. It has pathos and depth, a soaring soundtrack, real emotion and breathless moments. Sometimes you tend to forget just how good it is. Its unsurprising that almost all the other SW movies fail to live up to that high.

I always find this to be the case (and itv have had the films on a cycle since before Christmas I think). I find ANH and RotJ both suffer with rewatches though. A New Hope is really very dated now imo. 

Edit; I rewatched the trilogy, I did not research it stupid autocorrect

2 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I always find this to be the case (and itv have had the films on a cycle since before Christmas I think). I find ANH and RotJ both suffer with researches though. A New Hope is really very dated now imo. 

Oh yeah, A New Hope feels completely dated now. Lots of people I know had never seen Star Wars and were convinced to start with Ep iv.. and then didn't get any further. And I don't blame them. 

And Jedi.. well Jedi is 50% fantastic, 50% fucking ewoks dancing.

Archived