Star Wars Thread: I KNOW WHAT THAT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jace, Extat

10 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Have you seen Rebels? I think you should watch Rebels

Is that the one with the rad graffiti Mandalorian painter chick? I saw a bunch of it. It was fine. Fucking boring, as children's programing often is. I think I saw into season 2 or 3 but while I could describe the things that happen they carried no real narrative heft because, well, it's a children's show and it's not meant to be particularly engaging or stimulating on anything other than a visual and surface emotional level.

13 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Is that the one with the rad graffiti Mandalorian painter chick? I saw a bunch of it. It was fine. Fucking boring, as children's programing often is. I think I saw into season 2 or 3 but while I could describe the things that happen they carried no real narrative heft because, well, it's a children's show and it's not meant to be particularly engaging or stimulating on anything other than a visual and surface emotional level.

I’m beginning to suspect you just don’t like Star Wars.

3 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I’m beginning to suspect you just don’t like Star Wars.

Oh I love Star Wars.

But I demand quality.

If that makes me some kind of prude or elitist, then I will be one who demands you who are happy with whatever you get are occasionally gifted something worthy of your fervent devotion.

You deserve better. We all do.

I also think it's easy to get caught up in what you think star wars should be vs the reality of what they actually are. I'm convinced the world of star wars is far superior to any given film and i don't even think the first two have fully lived up to the potential inherent in the premise. But i can't really judge them on what i think they should be as everyone has a different opinion and what i think would make an excellent star wars film wouldn't necessarily be a critical or commercial  success.

A friend of mine said about rogue one it was "exactly the kind of star wars film he'd have made. A cold, clinical war film." So in his case he wasn't completely happy when he got what he want.

I'm sure kids who grew up with the MCU will also be hypercritical of avengers 12 in a decade or so thinking the original films were untouchable and more than they actually were

32 minutes ago, red snow said:

A friend of mine said about rogue one it was "exactly the kind of star wars film he'd have made. A cold, clinical war film." So in his case he wasn't completely happy when he got what he want.

I think the reason that Rogue One got so much love, above everything else, was because on the surface it seems to take the universe and subject seriously. It wasn't saying  'oh this is a kids movie' and tried to talk down to its audience, it was saying that the Star Wars Universe is something worth taking seriously, and adults can enjoy it too.

Thats why when I think back to some of the most loved Star Wars properties they generally are not for children so much. Empire Strikes Back is the least 'kiddy' of the movies for instance.

Even my favourite Star Wars games are games like X-Wing or KotoR, games which add depth and an extra dimension to the universe created by the movies, and which aren't just for kids. Its obvious that there are a ton of adult Star Wars fans out there and they are older now and need something more if you wanna keep them on board. 

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I think the reason that Rogue One got so much love, above everything else, was because on the surface it seems to take the universe and subject seriously. It wasn't saying  'oh this is a kids movie' and tried to talk down to its audience, it was saying that the Star Wars Universe is something worth taking seriously, and adults can enjoy it too.

Thats why when I think back to some of the most loved Star Wars properties they generally are not for children so much. Empire Strikes Back is the least 'kiddy' of the movies for instance.

Even my favourite Star Wars games are games like X-Wing or KotoR, games which add depth and an extra dimension to the universe created by the movies, and which aren't just for kids. Its obvious that there are a ton of adult Star Wars fans out there and they are older now and need something more if you wanna keep them on board. 

I think it's why a lot of us were hoping for spin off shows exploring darker themes and I'm on board with that. I guess the issue is lucas always intended them to be family friendly (or at least he did once he got to jedi it's actually debatable before that - I'd argue it was more pulp than for kids). Which makes it odd Disney made rogue one. Even though i think rogue one was lacking characters i cared about (beyond the droid) I'm still really excited at the prospect of the tv show featuring diego luna and (hopefully) his droid. As the grey area of the resistance having terrorist factions was cool.

And oddly you could argue TLJ was also trying to bring that kind of aspect into play. Characters went on side missions that were futile. Characters through lack of trust/communication condemned the resistance. The big bad turned out to be a big disappointment. Unlike rogue one TLJ often felt like an on the nose critique instead of wanting to make the world more complicated.

Although one thing we have to try and avoid is the American superhero comics trap. Where kids turning into adults demand their comics grow up with them instead of finding other characters/entertainment. I enjoy Moore etc putting their stamp on batman etc but it's sort of a shame many comics that were for kids are no longer for kids but for adults. I think it would be unfair for this to happen to star wars eg i don't really want a HBO star wars even if i think that would be great. Which is one good thing about Disney having the franchise they'll never go into star wars that kids aren't supposed to watch.

Really what we need is another doace opera that fills that need in much the way GOT gave us adult LOTR without damaging LOTR.

I think there is a balance in tone to be had with SW movies in order to accomodate all the different types of audiences that watch them.

The prequels in particular seem to have been written with 2 separate type of viewer in mind. On one hand there are those fans who love all the political intrigue and goings on, and then you have kids who love poo jokes. Well that seems to be Lucas' assumption anyway. 

There was such an uneasy joining of those two types of movie with the prequels, and maybe the biggest reason I dislike TLJ is that it seemingly has the same balance issues. It does have some interesting story telling beats and choices, and at times it treats its viewers as adults who have to think. Then it drops into the sort of extremely crude humour you'd get from Family Guy(milk) or when Poe is taunting peoples mothers and you are jerked out of the movie. Or there are quite complex emotions and subjects being dealt with and then suddenly we are on some videogame-esque chase scene on Canto Bight. Its all very Jar-Jarring. 

But then I think the Marvel movies seem to navigate these traps with far more skill. They are popular with numerous age ranges, they don't talk down to kids and they don't get too complex. They know the right level to talk to. I think the hope with Rogue one was that it would hit a more adult level.

The "jokes" at the beginning of TLJ were perhaps the most jarring things i've seen in star wars as they felt far too contemporary/earthbound for my liking. But i guess bb8 doung a thumbs up was essentially the same but i enjoyed that.

4 minutes ago, red snow said:

The "jokes" at the beginning of TLJ were perhaps the most jarring things i've seen in star wars as they felt far too contemporary/earthbound for my liking. But i guess bb8 doung a thumbs up was essentially the same but i enjoyed that.

Poe's taunting seemed completely out of place, as if it came out of another movie. SW has always had humour in it, Han Solo is all about the banter for instance, but the humour is lighter, less forced and seems to fit the setting. Poe doing 'yo mamma' jokes and prank calls doesn't really seem to make any sense because its a sort of callback humour to when everyone had telephones.. it made zero sense in the SW universe.  Plus Hux suddenly became a caricature and figure of fun. It was the first hint that something was deeply wrong.

1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

yeah too early for long rant but if you don’t think Rebels is high quality I’d say the problem is your standards are too high and/or you have nostalgia goggles.

I also found it quite childish and couldn't get through it, despite many people raving about it. I had the same problem with Clone Wars. And its not like I can't watch animation, I'm a huge fan of shows which you might assume were just for kids.

It keeps coming up in discussions, but I’ve always interpreted Luke drinking the breastmilk as a joke taking the piss out of the nostalgia bait that we typically expect.

”Oh yeah, a mild twist on the classic Star Wars blue milk thing. How predic- oh god that’s revolting!”

I dunno, I just thought it was a funny bit of meta humour.

35 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I also found it quite childish and couldn't get through it, despite many people raving about it. I had the same problem with Clone Wars. And its not like I can't watch animation, I'm a huge fan of shows which you might assume were just for kids.

Both Rebels and Clone Wars start that way, but they get more serious as the story moves along. That being said, I'm not watching the current Resistance show, because I don't like the animation style, and the premise didn't grab me. It looks even more childish than its predecessors.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Both Rebels and Clone Wars start that way, but they get more serious as the story moves along. That being said, I'm not watching the current Resistance show, because I don't like the animation style, and the premise didn't grab me. It looks even more childish than its predecessors.

Rebels gets dark pretty early. I’d agree the last season is one of the darkest things Star Wars has ever put out.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Star Wars is for kids. - George Lucas

Archived