Strongest castles in Westeros

Gerold the Great

On 1/17/2019 at 6:14 PM, Tygett Lannister said:

Rock has a city with a port next to the Castle but I don't think they are secretly connected, Lannisport would be easy to take. 

No, Casterly Rock has its own port

The Rock even has a port inside it, complete with docks and wharves and shipyards, for the sea has carved great caves into its western face, natural gates deep and wide enough for longships and even cogs to enter and off-load their cargoes.

3 hours ago, Gerold the Great said:

It should't, Riverrun can be taken with 6 000 man and Highgarden is only threatened by Ironborn fleet is significantly more numeros

To be fair, Riverrun wasnt actually taken with that many men, Jaime only threatened it. And Highgarden has been sacked numerous times in the past that we know of. The Ironborn haven't actually tried to sack Highgarden itself, but I don't see why it would be more difficult than Riverrun since it has none of the latter's advantages. 

5 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

No, Casterly Rock has its own port

The Rock even has a port inside it, complete with docks and wharves and shipyards, for the sea has carved great caves into its western face, natural gates deep and wide enough for longships and even cogs to enter and off-load their cargoes.

Aha didn't know that, thank you. 

On 1/18/2019 at 9:50 PM, Ser Endipitous said:

To be fair, Riverrun wasnt actually taken with that many men, Jaime only threatened it. And Highgarden has been sacked numerous times in the past that we know of. The Ironborn haven't actually tried to sack Highgarden itself, but I don't see why it would be more difficult than Riverrun since it has none of the latter's advantages. 

Highgarden was sacked only once by dornishman in the time of senile old king. Jaime wouldn't threatened to take Riverrun if he couldn't take it. His aunt Genna reminded him that only a fool makes a threats that he can't achieve (something like that). 

On 1/17/2019 at 4:39 AM, Bernie Mac said:

Not on Loras' part.  The Ironborn were attacking the Reach and Cersei was willing to see Oldtown sacked rather than Dragonstone under the command of a small force of rebels. 

Loras chose a quick resolution allowed the Redwyne fleet to go home. A tough, but ultimately correct military decision. 

On 1/17/2019 at 8:29 AM, Leo of House Cartel said:

Loras certainly seems rash in his approach to the matter, but it's a tricky situation.

On one hand, the siege caused the deaths of around half of the attacking force - while on the other, it allowed the Redwyne fleet quicker access to the defence of the Reach from Ironborn incursions, something I'm sure Renly and many others believed would help prevent the deaths of many nobles and smallfolk.

As for the castle itself, I think Dragonstone holds much meaning, both from a military standpoint as well as the historical significance of the place.

Yep. As bad as those casualties are, he made the correct decision. Honestly I am a bit surprised Paxter didn't push for it, though he might not have known about the IB yet. The Arbor and the Reach are far more important to the IT than Dragonstone. Cersei knows it has a small garrison and yet claims it's a knife at her son's throat (:rolleyes:). Her "devious" plan to get Loras hurt may have worked, but it also killed the cream of her remaining forces near the capital, which is something I am sure the Tyrells felt terribly about doing. 

I subscribe to Loras not being critically hurt, but even if he is the Tyrells severely weakened the Lannisters in the short term and in the long term and were able to get their fleet back to the Reach much more quickly. It's a win-win for them.

Archived