The Others emerging from the weirwoods

Sea Dragon

Hello,

Over the Christmas break I had a chance to catch up a little with some of the fans theories out there. One theory I thought was interesting but confusing is the idea that the Others emerge from the trees, like they walk out of them. I think the weir wood trees specifically because the weirwoods are dead white trees. One thing that I realize bothers me about this happening is if the Others use the weirwood trees to stay in and emerge when they have to fight, why do they have to wait for the wall to fall? Why don't they just walk out of the trees south of the wall? I think the idea is the weirwood trees are connected underground like a fungus, so the Others could pass if they need to. 

Thank you for taking the time to answer. 

I still cannot find the same sources you did,  but I did find this other poster down in this thread with the same questions about the Others emerging from the trees https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/152489-the-others-and-the-sidhe/

That is a good theory, Possible, The wall I think has a two pronged warding, power source etc if you will.  One is a back up to the other. 

1- The Nights Watch, as long as there is atleast one faithful Brother on the Wall, it will hold. Well, there are not many left along and all points are under attack from wildings and probably even more so given where the books left off. 

2- There must always be a Stark in Winterfell. Winter-Fell, Kings of Winter, The Superiors/Comquerors of Winter, that means something. Well, the Boltons have Winterfell and while Rickon is being sent for, there are no other Starks around and if the story of Bael the Bard are true, they are a bastard line anyway who was slipped in under cover to spare embarrassment. 

I think no Horn will be needed to bring the wall down, When both of these occur or are completely removed, that wall may lose its mortar magic and come down. 

I don't know about the Others coming out of the trees.  What stands out to me is the possible misinformation about them.  Like they want to kill the living.  They've not done that to Craster.  The Night's King and the crows weren't murdered.  Sacrifice and worship is the key.  Feeding the trees human blood accomplished the same thing.  A Stark must always be in Winterfell to be sacrificed.  

16 hours ago, Sea Dragon said:

Hello,

Over the Christmas break I had a chance to catch up a little with some of the fans theories out there. One theory I thought was interesting but confusing is the idea that the Others emerge from the trees, like they walk out of them. I think the weir wood trees specifically because the weirwoods are dead white trees. One thing that I realize bothers me about this happening is if the Others use the weirwood trees to stay in and emerge when they have to fight, why do they have to wait for the wall to fall? Why don't they just walk out of the trees south of the wall? I think the idea is the weirwood trees are connected underground like a fungus, so the Others could pass if they need to. 

It is difficult to assess this idea without knowing the specifics. If you find something on where this idea comes from please post.

My assumption is that the idea comes from this line if the Prologue in GoT.

A shadow emerged from the dark of the wood.

While this line may indicate that the Others' origination has something to do with wierwoods, I don't think it means the Others are physically or literally "staying in" or "emerging" from the trees.

Keep in mind that the other Others in this scene are said to emerge from the shadows, and I believe in Sam's scene the Other emerges from darkness.

16 hours ago, Sea Dragon said:

Hello,

Well, since nobody is able to find that theory, and the weirwoods are part of the living network/defenses/memory/powers/gods of all things warm, living, breathing and growing I would say that theory is like 99% of the theories you read on the internet, which is bupkis. 
Don't put too much thought or energy into it. Unless you are preston jacobs at which point you will make a rambling 11 hour youtube video that makes no sense but is too hard to follow to be worth refuting

Well Bloodraven is then our top candidate for someone who'd be seen to Otherize right before our eyes once the trees finally decide to suck his soul completely dry.  Maybe that's how it's always happened???   Do we want this as the source of Others?   I'll defer to you guys on this, as I could go either way on it and be happy.

21 hours ago, Ser Leftwich said:

They are not dead. They are living trees.

Also, this whole theory/idea makes no sense.

Yeah I am confused about this as well, like did I miss something in the books? You make a good point that the weirwood are living trees. Then how did these other posters get the idea the weirwood are dead? Or hold the Others? 

On January 15, 2019 at 11:22 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

I still cannot find the same sources you did,  but I did find this other poster down in this thread with the same questions about the Others emerging from the trees https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/152489-the-others-and-the-sidhe/

Thanks. That wasn't it but I see some recognizable stuff in there. It still doesn't make sense to me. 

On January 16, 2019 at 2:30 AM, Enuma Elish said:

I don't know about the Others coming out of the trees.  What stands out to me is the possible misinformation about them.  Like they want to kill the living.  They've not done that to Craster.  The Night's King and the crows weren't murdered.  Sacrifice and worship is the key.  Feeding the trees human blood accomplished the same thing.  A Stark must always be in Winterfell to be sacrificed.  

Maybe. I mean sacrifice is a thing in this cruel world. The little girl that Drogon burns and eats could be a kind of sacrifice along with the other queenship powers building up around Danaerys. 

21 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Well Bloodraven is then our top candidate for someone who'd be seen to Otherize right before our eyes once the trees finally decide to suck his soul completely dry.  Maybe that's how it's always happened???   Do we want this as the source of Others?   I'll defer to you guys on this, as I could go either way on it and be happy.

So are you saying that the Others are all green seers that sat on the tree like Bloodraven and once they were absorbed they can now walk out of the trees? This is so confusing. This entire idea but not what you said alone. But how come they need the wall if they can just walk out of the trees. 

23 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Well, since nobody is able to find that theory, and the weirwoods are part of the living network/defenses/memory/powers/gods of all things warm, living, breathing and growing I would say that theory is like 99% of the theories you read on the internet, which is bupkis. 
Don't put too much thought or energy into it. Unless you are preston jacobs at which point you will make a rambling 11 hour youtube video that makes no sense but is too hard to follow to be worth refuting

I think you helped me before a long time ago with another question I had. Someone else above gave me a link to another thread on this forum. Most of the ideas from another poster looked real familiar. It was someone named Raven Reader and they said this. Sorry but I don't know how to make the name do the tag. When I came across this idea before there were a lot of people talking about it and not just this @Raven Reader. I just had a lot of extra questions because it seemed like an okay idea at first but then I had a lot of questions and thought people here would know. I don't watch Preston Jacobs. I think most youtube people are trying too hard and asking for money. I am a student. I don't have money to give them so I do not watch them. 

As many have speculated, there is a likely connection between the COTF, greenseers and the Others, which is borne out by ample symbolic evidence, if not explicit proof.  

For example, the text repeatedly refers to the Others 'emerging from the trees', which might be a cryptic reference to their origins.

This is the link to that other poster talking about the Others emerging from the trees https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/152489-the-others-and-the-sidhe/&do=findComment&comment=8262575

23 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

It is difficult to assess this idea without knowing the specifics. If you find something on where this idea comes from please post.

My assumption is that the idea comes from this line if the Prologue in GoT.

While this line may indicate that the Others' origination has something to do with wierwoods, I don't think it means the Others are physically or literally "staying in" or "emerging" from the trees.

Keep in mind that the other Others in this scene are said to emerge from the shadows, and I believe in Sam's scene the Other emerges from darkness.

Yes that is where a lot of it came from. The trees in the prologue. And then someone said something about what Catlyn sees in war with Rob Stark. I will start looking again in a minute while I have time. Thank you. 

Ok I am totally not crazy. I knew it but I was starting to wonder! I just looked again and found this newer theory that says almost the same things. 

Not only does the Other literally “emerge from the dark of the wood,” its armor is dappled with the color of the trees. Note also the reference to moonlight on water, as if the icy armor and weapons glow with reflected moonlight.

Now take a look at this scene from the battle of Whispering Wood, where Catelyn Stark sees part of Robb’s host riding out of the trees,

http://www.gnellis.com/ice-preserves-part-1/

So maybe they figured it out? But I still wonder why the Others even need the wall when they can just step out of a weirwood? Is this all bogus? 

14 minutes ago, Sea Dragon said:

Ok I am totally not crazy. I knew it but I was starting to wonder! I just looked again and found this newer theory that says almost the same things. 

So maybe they figured it out? But I still wonder why the Others even need the wall when they can just step out of a weirwood? Is this all bogus? 

I don't think that's meant to suggest literally exiting from the trees themselves, but rather from the forest the trees are in.

3 minutes ago, Therae said:

I don't think that's meant to suggest literally exiting from the trees themselves, but rather from the forest the trees are in.

From what I have read it seems there are a lot of people that do think the Others emerge from the trees, like they walk out of them like they are doors or something. Here is another quote from that linked article. Did these others readers figure something out? Do all weirwoods have to be destroyed? Or is this all bogus? 

In his series of essays on the Long Night and the Others, Lucifer Means Lightbringer has pretty convincingly, at least to my mind, laid out arguments in favor of the Others coming from the trees. After all, the first time we meet one of these white shadows, it’s coming out of the woods,

A shadow emerged from the dark of the wood. It stood in front of Royce. Tall, it was, and gaunt and hard as old bones, with flesh pale as milk. Its armor seemed to change color as it moved; here it was white as new-fallen snow, there black as shadow, everywhere dappled with the deep grey-green of the trees. The patterns ran like moonlight on water with every step it took.

… They emerged silently from the shadows, twins to the first. Three of them … four … five … Ser Waymar may have felt the cold that came with them, but he never saw them, never heard them. Will had to call out. It was his duty. And his death, if he did. He shivered, and hugged the tree, and kept the silence.—A Game of Thrones, Prologue

Not only does the Other literally “emerge from the dark of the wood,” its armor is dappled with the color of the trees. Note also the reference to moonlight on water, as if the icy armor and weapons glow with reflected moonlight.

Archived