US Politics: Shutbound & Down

DMC

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

Man Drudge is going after AOC hard over the past 24 hours - for making various entirely reasonable statements.  Methinks someone's a bit smitten...

What is the right wing without a person of color or a woman (bonus, AOC is both!) to turn into a bogeyman? A bunch of mediocre white chuds waiting for scraps to fall off the Koch brothers' plates.

Ok, so what compromise has been reached between Mitch and Schumer? It still talks about temporary protections and includes 5.7 B for border security (per the Guardian), so I dont know what is different. Maybe the length of the temporary protections for undocumented folk?

I just dont trust Schumer, but maybe someone has more information.

7 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Oh I see.....just the fact that they are considering bills in the Senate is supposed to be evidence of some sort of compromise (or that people are talking to each other). Boy, some news articles are written confusingly.

Yeah all it is is McConnell allowing a vote on an amendment that would be a clean 3-week CR after voting on Trump's proposal.  Not clear yet, but McConnell may have been motivated to allow a vote on the CR so he can get an up-or-down vote (which will still fail in the House, obviously) on Trump's proposal, rather than the Dems simply filibustering.  Otherwise I'm not sure why McConnell would allow a vote on the CR.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Yeah all it is is McConnell allowing a vote on an amendment that would be a clean 3-week CR after voting on Trump's proposal.  Not clear yet, but McConnell may have been motivated to allow a vote on the CR so he can get an up-or-down vote (which will still fail) on Trump's proposal, rather than the Dems simply filibustering.  Otherwise I'm not sure why McConnell would allow a vote on the CR. 

That seems like actually a medium big deal.  If the Republicans can pass Trump's proposal, it would (slightly) increase pressure on Democrats, becuase it would mean the House is singlehandedly standing in the way of the govt reopening.  But the bigger deal is if a clean CR comes up for a vote, it might pass.  And if it did, that would definitely be a win for Democrats.  Trump still won't sign, but if a clean CR comes through both houses of congress, that would look bad for him.

Where are you guys getting these updates?

Just now, IheartIheartTesla said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2019/jan/22/us-politics-donald-trump-latest-live-updates-government-shutdown

The Guardian has a live blog that updates fairly regularly relating to the shutdown (plus, they are my go-to newspaper)

Ok, I didn't realize that by "putting these up for votes", they still need 60 votes to pass.  The Trump proposal has no chance of getting there, and the Clean CR has very little as well.  If it were only a 50 vote majority, I could see both passing being possible.  At the very least, I could imagine Collins/Murkowski/Gardner voting for both.  But 60 votes isn't gonna happen.

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Ok, I didn't realize that by "putting these up for votes", they still need 60 votes to pass.  The Trump proposal has no chance of getting there, and the Clean CR has very little as well.

Right, which is why I'm confused as to why McConnell would allow a vote on the CR if the Dems are just gonna filibuster the Trump proposal anyway.  All that could potentially do is show some GOP moderates would be ok with the CR.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Right, which is why I'm confused as to why McConnell would allow a vote on the CR if the Dems are just gonna filibuster the Trump proposal anyway.  All that could potentially do is show some GOP moderates would be ok with the CR.

But probably just a few.  It might not even get to 50.  I agree that I don't see much advantage for McConnell, but I think since Trump's saturday "offer", he wants to show that Republicans are trying to reach a deal.  I think this is all trying to encourage both sideism.  McConnell is correct that IF both sides get equal blame for this shutdown, then Democrats will break first.  But I doubt these moves will do that - Trump owns this shutdown. 

I mean, it could be McConnell's way of signaling to Trump he's got some pretty antsy members in his caucus that really want the shutdown to end.  But that's really not McConnell's MO - especially considering he reportedly helped engineer the Trump proposal in the first place.  One would think he'd at least want the Trump proposal - and the Dems filibustering it - to get its own news cycle before bringing up the CR.

Just watched a segment of Chuckie T on MSNBC, and all three participants were likewise confused as to why McConnell would allow the CR vote.  The congressional correspondent on the show indeed speculated that moderate GOP Senators pressured McConnell to allow the vote so they can go on the record as for the CR - but importantly this was just his speculation and not any type of reporting.

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Ok, so what compromise has been reached between Mitch and Schumer? It still talks about temporary protections and includes 5.7 B for border security (per the Guardian), so I dont know what is different. Maybe the length of the temporary protections for undocumented folk?

I just dont trust Schumer, but maybe someone has more information.

As far as I understand, the temporary protections aren't nearly as relevant anymore. The Supreme Court is signaling that they're not going to hear an appeal of a lower courts ruling, so the injunction on Trump's rescinding of DACA protections are in effect.

I wonder how much longer this can honestly go on for. I'm catching a flight tomorrow, and the idea that 10% of TSA staff didn't show up to work on Sunday is kind of horrifying. These people don't make great money as it is, so they likely don't have much saved up. How many pay cycles can they take this for? I know I'd be at my breaking point if I was living paycheck to paycheck. And mass quittings and/or a strike would shut the country down. 

Once this is all resolved, legislation must be drafted and passed that states that federal workers must still be paid during a shutdown. I have no idea what the cost would be, but funds must be appropriated and saved away to handle another shutdown of this length. 

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Once this is all resolved, legislation must be drafted and passed that states that federal workers must still be paid during a shutdown. I have no idea what the cost would be, but funds must be appropriated and saved away to handle another shutdown of this length. 

Why? That defeats the entire purpose of shutting down the government.

Want to Pass Medicare for All? Fix American Democracy First.
Nothing is in greater need of reform than the political system itself.

https://newrepublic.com/article/152924/want-pass-medicare-all-fix-american-democracy-first

Some observers have also proposed scrapping the legislative filibuster, which would reduce the need for Democrats to obtain buy-ins on major legislation from conservative members and moderate Republicans. Some 2020 contenders like Warren and Kirsten Gillibrand have also backed statehood for the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. Creating two new states would strengthen democracy in both places and dilute the Republicans’ structural advantage in the Senate. But there’s also no reason to stop there: full statehood for American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Virgin Islands would also be a good idea if those territories desire it.

British lawmakers used a similar maneuver to bring their upper legislative chamber to heel in the early twentieth century. David Lloyd George, the Liberal Party’s chancellor of the exchequer, first introduced what became known as the “People’s Budget” in 1909. It proposed a vast expansion of the nation’s social safety net that would be financed itself through aggressive tax hikes on landowners and the wealthiest British citizens. The House of Lords’ members naturally refused to pass a budget that would tax themselves so heavily, even after the Liberals had won another general election and a clear popular mandate for it. What began as a policy dispute had become a constitutional crisis.

Lloyd George found a radical solution. With King George V’s support, he threatened to elevate hundreds of new Liberal dukes, viscounts, and barons to take control of the House of Lords and pass reforms that would strip away the Lords’ ability to block legislation.

Sen. Kamala Harris’ presidential campaign got off to a very fast start in fundraising, perhaps even historically so. The California Democrat announced Tuesday that she had raised $1.5 million from roughly 38,000 donors in the first 24 hours after she made her 2020 plans official.

There’s no authoritative record book for these numbers. Candidates don’t always announce their first-day hauls, and few professional observers paid close attention to such totals in the pre-internet days, when donating to a politician involved much more than a few clicks. But Harris’ dollar-figure matched the amount Bernie Sanders reported raising during the first 24 hours of his 2016 campaign—and Harris reported having 3,000 more initial donors than Sanders did.

Kamala Harris Raised a Bernie-esque Boatload From Small Donors in Just One Day

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/01/kamala-harris-1-5-million-fundraising-bernie.html

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm catching a flight tomorrow, and the idea that 10% of TSA staff didn't show up to work on Sunday is kind of horrifying.

I'm very happy I'm not flying anytime soon.

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

For this to work the government would have to create a trust that is considerably well-funded - and the government would have to be able to extract funds if a shutdown does not occur in x amount of time.  Good luck with all that.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm very happy I'm not flying anytime soon.

From a problem airport no less. You know the lines have to be bad if Minneapolis International is being referenced on the East coast news.

FFlask time, methinks.  

For this to work the government would have to create a trust that is considerably well-funded - and the government would have to be able to extract funds if a shutdown does not occur in x amount of time.  Good luck with all that.

I think it would be a drop in the bucket at the end of the day, and such legislation would get positive press for all parties involved. I see no reason why something similar couldn't be done.

Archived