DMC

US Politics: Shutbound & Down

3 hours ago, DMC said:

I think it's becoming clear the Dems are making a tactical mistake by holding the line on "no negotiations until the government is reopened" in response to Trump's "compromise."  538 pointed out in a slack chat (in which Nate Silver freakily reiterated a lot of what I said here yesterday - that makes me uncomfortable) that almost all of the immediate headlines were some form of "Trump offers compromise, Dems reject." 

1. Donald's already solved that problem by taking responsibility for the mess.

2. Neither Trump nor Pelosi are going to give in here. The solution to this is entirely with McConnell.

47 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

1. Donald's already solved that problem by taking responsibility for the mess.

2. Neither Trump nor Pelosi are going to give in here. The solution to this is entirely with McConnell.

1. Relying on Trump's idiotic comments from over a month ago as a constant given going forward regarding responsibility attribution is a perilously complacent assumption.

2.  Nothing in my post had anything to with anyone giving in, but rather each side offering mutually unpalatable "compromises."

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

2.  Nothing in my post had anything to with anyone giving in, but rather each side offering mutually unpalatable "compromises."

Compromise is over. Seriously, dawg. The Republic is compromised as I can bear to see it.

2 hours ago, James Arryn said:

I like the idea where the Dems offer is tied to w/e Mexico pays for the wall.

Absolutely, this POS Prez needs to have his nose held right to the lie he rode into town on.

9 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Compromise is over. Seriously, dawg. The Republic is compromised as I can bear to see it.

This suggests you really don't get my point and are just treating the word compromise like Voldemort.

Just now, DMC said:

This suggests you really don't get my point and are just treating the word compromise like Voldemort.

I just want to watch the world burn.

14 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Please, those were not punks. Those were prim and proper Christian boys. Or are you suggesting they hid their mohawk under their MAGA hats? Anyway, any bets who of those will grow up to be the next Mike Pence?

Not directing my comment at you, just the topic.

I, like everyone else, was disgusted with that video, but I guess some people must have contacted CNN with more details about what happened before the video. Now I have mixed feelings.

The black group that had been protesting were a religious group called the Black Israelites. Mr. Phillips, in his interview, merely said, “They witnessed these (4) individuals on their soapbox saying what they had to say. They didn’t agree with it and got offended.”

What Phillips doesn’t say is that the black religious group members were condemning in pretty strong terms religions practiced by others, including shouting abuse at a Catholic priest who walked by, which sounds like what actually drew the students to them in the first place. Apparently at first there were only 4 or 5 students, then more and more of them joined the circle until there were many students. Phillips said a hundred. The abuse at the students continued (“you’ll burn in hell for being Catholics” kind of stuff, and stuff about what kind of people wear MAGA hats) and then a student took his jacket off. That’s when Phillips inserted himself. And witnesses said some of the kids chanted along with Phillips, which sounded like they were supportive of him (they did not say it was mocking).

Am I impressed with the kid who stood in his face? Nope, not at all. Am I shocked that teenagers got upset at abuse hurled at them by strangers? No, I’m not. As an adult I would have said ‘fucking assholes’ to myself if I had heard a group of guys standing on a street corner telling the world they’ll burn in hell if they don’t worship their version of God, and then I’d walk away. But they were male teenagers.

Like I said, I’m not impressed with their reaction, but the story has more shades of gray in it than what was originally reported.

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Not directing my comment at you, just the topic.

I, like everyone else, was disgusted with that video, but I guess some people must have contacted CNN with more details about what happened before the video. Now I have mixed feelings.

The black group that had been protesting were a religious group called the Black Israelites. Mr. Phillips, in his interview, merely said, “They witnessed these (4) individuals on their soapbox saying what they had to say. They didn’t agree with it and got offended.”

What Phillips doesn’t say is that the black religious group members were condemning in pretty strong terms religions practiced by others, including shouting abuse at a Catholic priest who walked by, which sounds like what actually drew the students to them in the first place. Apparently at first there were only 4 or 5 students, then more and more of them joined the circle until there were many students. Phillips said a hundred. The abuse at the students continued (“you’ll burn in hell for being Catholics” kind of stuff, and stuff about what kind of people wear MAGA hats) and then a student took his jacket off. That’s when Phillips inserted himself. And witnesses said some of the kids chanted along with Phillips, which sounded like they were supportive of him (they did not say it was mocking).

Am I impressed with the kid who stood in his face? Nope, not at all. Am I shocked that teenagers got upset at abuse hurled at them by strangers? No, I’m not. As an adult I would have said ‘fucking assholes’ to myself if I had heard a group of guys standing on a street corner telling the world they’ll burn in hell if they don’t worship their version of God, and then I’d walk away. But they were male teenagers.

Like I said, I’m not impressed with their reaction, but the story has more shades of gray in it than what was originally reported.

Here is the full video of the ENTIRE thing. the video is an hour and a half long. You get to see the Catholic kids standing in a group waiting for their bus to go home from the Right to Life march, and get to see the black guys calling them future school shooters, and future church shooters, the black guys call the Native Americans "Uncle Tomahawk", and when the kids start chanting school fight songs to drown out the hate being spewed by the black guys, the native Americans march into their group and the kids stand around and do nothing. When the Native Americans keep standing there beating their hand drum, the Catholic kids move to the side to keep waiting for their bus. 

The entire narrative that was making the Catholic kids look bad is all fake news. 

The only thing I will say on this video is that the mother of the boy has come out defending her son blaming 'the black muslims'. They were not muslim, but hey, it's ok to blame them for everything, right? I'm not saying she should know exactly who these assholes were if she wasn't there, but assuming they are muslim and referring to them as such without verifying it is beyond shitty.

It's a complicated situation, and I haven't (and won't, I don't care enough) watched the videos, so I'm not fully equipped to way in. However, I will say that anyone organizing a trip to DC should absolutely be aware of and warn people about the Black Israelites and to avoid them. They aren't violent, as far as I know, but they will absolutely make as big a scene as possible and likely say things people will find offensive; especially religious people. 

And even if the school organizers and chaperones didn't know about them, they should've been keeping a closer eye on the kids and led them off to somewhere else. I've never seen more than 6 or 7 Black Israelites in one place before, they aren't a mob.

The media is definitely about to be "both-sidesing" the shit out of the shutdown.  Oh wait they already are.  Heard two congressional reps blathering on about how everyone needs to come together on the drive into work on our regional public radio (WAMC).  Ooh and Tulsi Gabbard is digging in deep too! 

Check out @atrupar’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1087053571542208512?s=09

Edited by larrytheimp
I also don't know how to do those cool twitter links. Oops

Fez, the only thing I’m saying is that it wasn’t as vile as that video made it out to be. It was a more complicated story.

I saw a lot of nasty comments on stories about the kind of vile kids who wear MAGA hats. I just don’t see a Catholic school sanctioning kids going to the march wearing MAGA hats. I would bet someone at the march was handing them out, and it isn’t only kids who can’t resist a freebie. I feel as if the kids were not wearing the hats there would have been more interest in hearing both sides of the story.

I also was not happy, after hearing more details, about Phillips’ comments about being afraid for the souls of these children and the awful state of affairs with American youth. Now I’m beginning to think it was more of a ‘get off my lawn’ Situation.

Edited by Fragile Bird

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Fez, the only thing I’m saying is that it wasn’t as vile as that video made it out to be. It was a more complicated story.

I saw a lot of nasty comments on stories about the kind of vile kids who wear MAGA hats. I just don’t see a Catholic school sanctioning kids going to the march wearing MAGA hats. I would bet someone at the march was handing them out, and it isn’t only kids who can’t resist a freebie. I feel as if the kids were not wearing the hats there would have been more interest in hearing both sides of the story.

I also was not happy, after hearing more details, about Phillips’ comments about being afraid for the souls of these children and the awful state of affairs with American youth. Now I’m beginning to think it was more of a ‘get off my lasn’ Situation.

If the kids weren't wearing those hats, it probably wouldn't even have been a story.  

14 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just don’t see a Catholic school sanctioning kids going to the march wearing MAGA hats..

Dafuck you get your information, Bird?

Churches in the US are political fundraisers.

11 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Dafuck you get your information, Bird?

Churches in the US are political fundraisers.

Yeah I’m with jace on that one. Catholic schools are like concentrated hate.

23 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just don’t see a Catholic school sanctioning kids going to the march wearing MAGA hats.

https://www.covcath.org/campus-life/spiritual-life/march-for-life

https://www.change.org/p/rev-bishop-foys-immediate-change-at-covington-catholic

Unfortunately, what happened in D.C. should not be a surprise to anyone who has been associated with CovCath.  The above photo (from last year’s March for Life) was in the CovCath recruiting brochure my son received a few months ago:

Forgetting the fact that including "MAGA" propaganda in the school's recruitment material is likely illegal under the Johnson Amendment, it also shows a complete lack of judgement by CovCath administration. 

I know, I wasn't single out/addressed with this discussion in particular, so just two cents to put that thing to bed.

First I originally only chipped in to have some fun about the the use of the word punk to describe them (obviously the fun was very one sided). I know, it has a somewhat more extensive meaning, than describing a member of the punk movement. So I just wanted to express my resentment to throw in punks into the same category as those prim and proper Christian schoolboys. No self-respecting punk would associate with that. But like I said, that was more me having fun with words than an intent to move the discussion forward.

And now with regards to those catholic schools. Don't all those Christian (be them catholic or protestant) schools have a political bent towards the right - at least the ones that are bothered to send their students to rallys in DC? I mean, I suspect there to be a very strong self-selecting process at work, as in what parents would send their kids there? Presumably not the liberal secular folks. All boys school would raise one or two additional red flags. As in, that prim and proper chritian VP who is afraid to be alone in a room with a woman, other than his wife.