US Politics: Shutbound & Down

DMC

8 minutes ago, Fez said:

Something like that happens, I think he'd be willing to play ball and spin a victory for Trump out of bullshit. Not like it would affect his ratings or anything.

I don't even know if it has to impact them on such a personal level.  Assuming they want Trump to be reelected*, they can see that holding fast isn't working and they need to do something else.  I suspect they'll hammer the Emergency Powers solution, rather than a compromise, but if that's what Trump does, I think they'll bitch and moan for about 5 minutes and then move on to railing against the latest AOC tweet. 

* They might not.  I suspect they get better ratings and sell more books when a Democrat is in the WH.

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

I don't even know if it has to impact them on such a personal level.  Assuming they want Trump to be reelected*, they can see that holding fast isn't working and they need to do something else.  I suspect they'll hammer the Emergency Powers solution, rather than a compromise, but if that's what Trump does, I think they'll bitch and moan for about 5 minutes and then move on to railing against the lastest AOC tweet. 

* They might not.  I suspect they get better ratings and sell more books when a Democrat is in the WH.

Yeah, I don't think either of them actually care whether Trump does well or not.  They have a market and it will continue to support then regardless of whether or not they have the President's ear.  In the meantime I think they'll be happy about whatever they can get out of him, and once their influence is gone, go back to their outrage as political entertainment schtick.

Just now, larrytheimp said:

That's true on the whole, but when it comes to Trump's state of mind they hold much more power.   They are the political pilots of his base.

No. They are not. They are merely the cabin crew making the announcements, and serving bull...

If it wasn't them, there'd be somebody else. To use another comparission, they are a bit like televangelists. It doesn't really matter whether Rev. Limbaugh believes all gays will burn in hell or not. It's what his audience is into, so he stays on message to sell books or collect donations. As long as he doesn't get caught taking it up the rear from another guy everything's cool (sorry for the graphic imagery).

1 minute ago, DMC said:

They are 100% responsible for the shutdown in the first place, so I don't think I'm attributing too much power to them.

Ahum, how to put it... Yes, and no. Ultiamtely Donnie Dipshit did it, because he believes that's what his base wants. He believes that, because that's what Limbaugh and Coulter said, who were playing to their audience and the echo chamber that has hatched them.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

They are the King and Queen of the right wing media bubble.

King and Queen is too much. They are the ones with some sense of self-awareness, verbal competence and are somewhat representable on screen. In that sense, one might suspect Tomi Lahren - or whatever her name is - has the potential to knock off Coulter from her perch. The difference is, Coulter is better at reading her audience. The irony of some upper class woman from New England speaking for the Joe and Jane Redneck and their anger about the elites is of course to some degree entertaining. But then again, higher education and verbal competence might be corellated.

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

They have maintained considerable influence, let alone relevance, for the past 25 years and have shifted their message probably tens of thousands of times.

Their audience asked for a different tune. Unlike fat Elvis they are not a one hit wonder.

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

What does this mean?

Just a small dig about the lack of intelligence on Orange Don's side.

Archived