Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 1/17/2019 at 7:11 PM, Aline de Gavrillac said:

What do you think?  Possible?

Qaithe is simply advising Daenerys to take a southeasterly course to Westeros.  It is an unexpected move and certain to take the Lannisters by surprise.  And the island with the three large rocks could be important.  I expect she will do this in the book story.  She doesn't need to make port in Asshai.  She can order her fleet to take a southeasterly route and land on the west side of westeros.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quaithe could be a number of people and the mask is a tease as to someone that should be recognizeable upon site. This is but another possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think so. If Quaithe turns out to be “someone” it’s not going to be a character who was not once mentioned or even alluded to until Fire and Blood. Quaithe has been a part of the story since Clash, when Martin (presumably) had reasons to include her and knew who she was. There isn’t really any indication Elissa Farman even existed in his mind back then.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 8:40 AM, A Ghost of Someone said:

Quaithe could be a number of people and the mask is a tease as to someone that should be recognizeable upon site. This is but another possibility.

Another possibility for sure but the best one out there.  Shiera is another possibility but Farman is better in my opinion.  It answers the question of why she wants our Daenerys to go east before going to the west.  Farman got to Essos by going west.  There is something she saw during her sea voyage that she wants our young Daenerys to see.  It is also a good reason why Quaithe would have a strong interest in the well-being of Daenerys and her three dragons.  She feels maternal because those three were the eggs that she herself stole and jave now made their way back into the hands of the rightful owner, the Targaryen heir, the Mother of Dragons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"To go west, you must first go east."

To me, this clearly refers to Dany's flight back into the Dothraki Sea on Drogon's back. She thus went east, and has gained back her biggest dragon. At the end of Dance, Dany is about to confront a massive khalasar; perhaps she'll gain that as well. Only then will she head west again, all primed and ready to rain down fire and blood.

The part about Quaith being the legendary Alys Westerhill seems to be overthinking, and doesn't take into account how George RR just loves to overproliferate his characters. Everybody doesn't have to be a secret Targaryen, nor a further incarnation of Bran the Broken, nor Undead Ned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, zandru said:

"To go west, you must first go east."

To me, this clearly refers to Dany's flight back into the Dothraki Sea on Drogon's back. She thus went east, and has gained back her biggest dragon. At the end of Dance, Dany is about to confront a massive khalasar; perhaps she'll gain that as well. Only then will she head west again, all primed and ready to rain down fire and blood.

The part about Quaith being the legendary Alys Westerhill seems to be overthinking, and doesn't take into account how George RR just loves to overproliferate his characters. Everybody doesn't have to be a secret Targaryen, nor a further incarnation of Bran the Broken, nor Undead Ned.

You are focusing on quaith being able to make profecies instead of using glass candles and knowledge to influenciate danny. And ADwD highly hints that quaithe isn t capable of making profecies...

So quaith's profecies are kind of useless...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, divica said:

And ADwD highly hints that quaithe isn t capable of making profecies...

Does it? Would you mind elaborating some? Not that I'm necessarily arguing otherwise; but as a general rule, prophesies need to be taken with a Saltpan's worth of salt, anyway.

I still don't see how Quaith is "Alys Westerhill" returned from her visit to, what? the United States? She'd have to be a few centuries old by now. Although I wish Captain Alys with her  the Sunset Chaser and rest of the fleet success!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, zandru said:

Does it? Would you mind elaborating some? Not that I'm necessarily arguing otherwise; but as a general rule, prophesies need to be taken with a Saltpan's worth of salt, anyway.

I still don't see how Quaith is "Alys Westerhill" returned from her visit to, what? the United States? She'd have to be a few centuries old by now. Although I wish Captain Alys with her  the Sunset Chaser and rest of the fleet success!

In quaith's profecy 

Quote

No. Hear me, Daenerys Targaryen. The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun's son and the mummer's dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal."

It is kind of hard for the griffin and mummer's dragon to come to danny in the foreseable future and even harder for them to come to mereen in a time and manner similar to the others mentioned.

One of the theories out there that makes more sense is that quaith used a glass candle to spy on people and at the time of danny's dream all these people were coming to her. However, later jon con (and fAegon if you consider him the mummer's dragon) changed their minds and therefore this profecy won t happen entirely. This would make quaith someone like melisandre that uses knowledge to make others believe she has powers she doesn t have… 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, divica! Looks as if Tyrion threw a wrench into the Young/Old Griff plans. After all, Tyrion did arrive on the "Perfumed Seneschal". Much of the rest still looks to be on track ... at least, so far. So, as you pointed out, these glimpses of the future are not as set as the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe somewhat of a retraction, but not yet.... When last I replied, I had read through the chapter with Elissa Farman, aka Alys Westerfall, setting forth with her three ships. I've now reached the chapters where "Autunm Wind" limps back to Oldtown, crewed by southern islanders, and tells her tale. Later in the chapter, the ancient hulk of the Westerfall flagship is observed in Assha'i. This doesn't yet equate Alys with Quaith in my eyes,  but there's lots more book to read,so I need to be less judgmental until I've completed it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 6:11 PM, Arkady Renko said:

Quaithe is Elissa Farman.  She wants Daenerys Targaryen to take the same route but going backwards.  Quaithe wants to show her something in the eastern seas.  I would guess it is another land mass.  Refugees from westeros can go to this island sanctuary to escape the long night back home. 

A few dragons survived the dance.  West is a good location for them to be.  Qaithe-Farman wants the Mother Of Dragons to go there and round up the remaining dragons.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 11:12 AM, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Another possibility for sure but the best one out there.  Shiera is another possibility but Farman is better in my opinion.  It answers the question of why she wants our Daenerys to go east before going to the west.  Farman got to Essos by going west.  There is something she saw during her sea voyage that she wants our young Daenerys to see.  It is also a good reason why Quaithe would have a strong interest in the well-being of Daenerys and her three dragons.  She feels maternal because those three were the eggs that she herself stole and jave now made their way back into the hands of the rightful owner, the Targaryen heir, the Mother of Dragons.

Dragons.  She saw dragons.  And she's not pushing Dany to go to Westeros anytime soon.  The truth is, Westeros will go through an Ice Age and it is not something that can be stopped.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 9:01 PM, Enuma Elish said:

Dragons.  She saw dragons.  And she's not pushing Dany to go to Westeros anytime soon.  The truth is, Westeros will go through an Ice Age and it is not something that can be stopped.  

There are more important things than Westeros.  Ellissa/Quaithe is an adventurer.  Maybe she wants Daenerys to continue where she left off.  Ellissa left something unfinished and she wants Dany to take up where she left off.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 6:11 PM, Arkady Renko said:

Quaithe is Elissa Farman.  She wants Daenerys Targaryen to take the same route but going backwards.  Quaithe wants to show her something in the eastern seas.  I would guess it is another land mass.  Refugees from westeros can go to this island sanctuary to escape the long night back home. 

Quaithe doesn't explicitly tell her to set sail for the east.  She only said go east.  By land or sea is not mentioned.  The answer is in the Sunchaser.  The ship's hold may contain something useful to Daenerys.  Like dragon eggs and Lady Elissa's diary.  The ship is at port in Asshai.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good theory.  Lady Farman settled in Asshai after her travels and took up the custom of wearing the mask.  She's been so long in the east that the west is just a distant memory.  

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:46 PM, Aline de Gavrillac said:

There are more important things than Westeros.  Ellissa/Quaithe is an adventurer.  Maybe she wants Daenerys to continue where she left off.  Ellissa left something unfinished and she wants Dany to take up where she left off.  

This.  If Lady Farman is anything like Corlys, Marwyn, Brynden Rivers, Mellissandre, she is a seeker of knowledge.  She has unfinished business in the far east and she wants Dany to continue her work.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sold.  The two are one and the same.  There are material reasons to sail east rather than taking the more direct route.  The element of surprise for one.  But I do not feel Qaithe is interested in saving Westeros.  Daenerys must pass beneath the shadow in order to see the light again.  That's explicitly saying she will endure the long night before she sees the return of Spring and Summer.  What Qaithe is basically saying is to explore first and see the world.  The more of the world one sees the more informed they become.  Qaithe saw something important and she wants Dany to see the same.  Whatever it was gave her perspective to see the bigger picture.   Dany being young wants to take a more direct route.  If I look back, I am lost.  She wants to continue to move forward.  Qaithe is telling her to take her time and see the world.  A future ruler who has seen the world will have a better perspective and will be better able to reconstruct what's left after the long night has passed.  Qaithe is looking ahead to prepare Dany to lead the survivors in the aftermath of winter.  It's not about taking the iron throne now.  It is about waiting and preparing to rebuild after the long winter has passed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 7:11 PM, Aline de Gavrillac said:

What do you think?  Possible?

I like the irony.  She stole those eggs to finance her exploration and unintentionally saved them from Egg's folly.  Her act of theft gave them the chance they needed to be born rather than buried beneath the ruins of Summerhall.  Things have come around in a circle and those eggs have hatched for the promised Targaryen.  I can now understand her interest in the Khaleesi and the three dragons.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×