Who builds better ships?

Aline de Gavrillac

On 1/20/2019 at 11:18 AM, Leo of House Cartel said:

@Aline de Gavrillac

From the four you listed, I'd have to go with Braavos.

The famous Arsenal can not only build a ship per day, but also built the ultra advanced Sun Chaser, an ocean dwelling masterpiece, some 250 odd years ago - if the shipwrights of the city could do that so long ago, think how their craftsmanship might have improved in the meantime!

The Summer Islanders and Ibbenese would be my other choices. The Swan Ships, built by the peoples of Walano, Jhala etc. seem like they are great for both exploration and combat. While the Ibbenese vessels are most likely the planet's most well suited for cold conditions/maritime hunting.

Would love to see a fleet of Swan ships go up against a fleet of Iron Born longships. 

The Summer Islanders and the Ibbenese should have been on the lists.  Oh well.  :)

• 4 months later...

I'd have to say that there is no ship that is best for all purposes. Braavos is modeled after Venice and Venice pretty much ruled the Eastern Mediterranean for a long time with their navy. Likewise, Braavos's navy kept them safe from the various Essosi states. That doesn't mean that their ships are best overall, just that they are well-suited to their own needs. Their ships are galleys, not well suited to deep ocean voyages and rough weather.

It pretty much  follows that everyone's ships have plus and minus factors. Military use isn't of primary importance. Tywin had something to say about winning battles with quill and raven rather than an army.

Archived