Cartoons you'd like to see remade?

Varysblackfyre321

Not sure that I need to see these remade or just released somewhere where I can watch them again:

Spiral Zone

Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers

Starblazers, on the other hand, I would welcome a remake. This was a hallmark of my childhood.  Got to see a few episodes a couple of years ago and it did not hold up.  

On 1/19/2019 at 2:36 PM, Soylent Brown said:

Holy shit that was bad! Though looking at the numpty with the top knot they had talking about it, perhaps not surprising. 100k dislikes, haha.

The “Teen Titans Go” thing of taking decent cartoons and turning them into fart joke stories really needs to stop.

On 1/20/2019 at 3:18 AM, Simon Steele said:

Pirates of Dark Water is one of those great/frustrating shows (of course, I haven't seen it since the 90s either, so yeah, it could be crap). 

But it's a show built on finding 13(?) items. The show "ends" when they find the items, so we get bloated episodes of them finding nothing. I feel like this was a specific formula in the 80s and 90s. Now, I think it'd be fine because it'd be Season 1: Find 13 items, Season 2: Realize a bigger, worse thing is out there, Season: Etc.

IMHO, Pirates of Dark Water was the proto-Avatar the Last Airbender that featured an animated cast of non-white characters on a linear quest to save the world. (Also I loved the weird-fantasy Filipino/Austronesian aesthetic.) Avatar the Last Airbender was built around three seasons for Aang to learn three elements and then defeat Firelord Ozai within a year. I think building a show around finding the 13 lost Treasures of Rul to defeat the Dark Dweller is okay, though it could also be structured around the restoration of Octopon. And just because you find the treasures doesn't mean you know what to do with them. And much as Aang had to learn how to be the Avatar while helping others in his travels, Ren could be learning what it means to be the King of Octopon, or even the imperfections of King Primus or how Octopon was not necessarily the Utopian gem it was imagined to be.

My list shows have already been mentioned, and it is dominated by Science-Fantasy:
* Pirates of Dark Water
* Thundarr the Barbarian
* Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light
* ReBoot
* War Planets / Shadow Raiders
* He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: I loved the 2002 reboot, but it needs another shot. Maybe it will be a spin-off of the new She-Ra?

Although I am not really a fan of any of the remakes mentioned so far, there were a few cartoons from my childhood that stuck with me and I can imagine working for a mixed age audience.

• Ulysses 31 - A wierd mix of french and japanese (I think) writing and aesthetic, it was wonderfully haunting and odd. It was also quite terrifying, and stood out due to its sense of melancholy and lack of hope. I would hope that it wouldn't go down a straight Anime route thought
  • Dogtanian and the 3 Muskehounds - Again its a classic tale.. but with dogs. There are tons of remakes of this story, sometimes classic, sometimes steampunk'd, but this is still my fave. 
  • Dungeons & Dragons - I absolutely loved this as a kid, but part of me was always confused as to how it related to the game I heard so much about. Why not do a version that isn't just a bunch of kids thrown into a weird world from a rollercoaster. Do it properly. Thats what I wanted when I was younger, and maybe we could get it.

On 1/21/2019 at 2:52 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The “Teen Titans Go” thing of taking decent cartoons and turning them into fart joke stories really needs to stop.

Teen Titans Go is amazing.  The episode where bees are used as currency should have won awards.

Darkwing Duck needs more love. 

And an oddball, i would like to see Bravestarr redone with native writers. 

On 1/20/2019 at 5:56 PM, hauberk said:

Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers

Oh man, I was opening this topic just to talk about this. I only got to watch a couple episodes and it fucking haunted me. What a great show. 

On 1/21/2019 at 6:52 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I was NOT down with the change from the old Titans show to Teen Titans Go when it happened...but time and distance and a couple kids now in the age range for the show have me watching it and it's actually really really sharp.  The movie this summer was really good.  Yeah, it's kinda lowbrow, but then it isn't...

And let's get a remake of the vehicles versuon of Voltron...

5 hours ago, SkynJay said:

Teen Titans Go is amazing.  The episode where bees are used as currency should have won awards.

Darkwing Duck needs more love. 

And an oddball, i would like to see Bravestarr redone with native writers. 

Native to the planet, new texas, far deep in space? They could include a horse whisperer too. But i imagine the native American influenced themes of the show are a bit cringe worthy now. 

They could do a sequel where white europeans have now settled there in greater number and are systematically displacing the original inhabitants.

8 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Saying Teen Titans Go is just fart jokes shows you have never seen an episode of Teen Titans Go.

I have seen it. It’s cute.  It’s campy.  I dislike it for the same reason I dislike the Adam West and Joel Shoemake Batman iterations.  Not my thing.  

I also don’t want to see “Star Blazers, BOOM!” or “Macross, ZAP!” or “G.I. YO!” done in the same kiddie style animation as “Teen Titans, Go!”.

10 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Oh man, I was opening this topic just to talk about this. I only got to watch a couple episodes and it fucking haunted me. What a great show. 

I didn't get to see all of it but the overall mythology of the series was truly stunning.  

I will say that I thought that Doc was misplaced in the overall story.  

Among those already mentioned: GargoylesReBoot, Pirates of Dark Water and Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers (actually I wouldn't mind seeing the latter in a live-action format)

BattleTech - didn't see many episodes, but it was cooooool!!!

I wouldn't mind another version of Jonny Quest.

On 1/20/2019 at 6:28 PM, Fiddler said:

I wouldn't mind some gi joe or mask remade, but it would depend on the animation.  The animation is what has always turned me off of all the transformers after the original.

Then don't try G.I.Joe Renegades the animation is very off putting. It's a shame though because the story is excellent. It follows a select group of Joes around (Duke, Scarlett, Snake Eyes, Roadblock, and Tunnel Rat) meeting up with other familiar Joes and COBRAs each episode, charged with crimes they didn't commit as they try to gather evidence t prove their innocence and expose the real culprits (Cobra Industries, a nefarious organization with a legitimate Walmart-like facade so everybody loves them- headed by Adam DeCobray [Cobra Commander] and his underlings).

Imagine an animated G.I.Joe/A-Team/The Fugitive hybrid with ugly character designs.

On 1/19/2019 at 5:08 AM, red snow said:

Exo-squad

Exosquad is what I came here to say.  That show was soo good, great battles, great animation and lots of themes you rarely see in children's cartoons like sacrifice, racism, moral ambiguity, and reconciliation.  Lots of WW2 parallels also helps. 

Would love love to see a remake.  I would even enjoy reading some novels set in this universe, since the main conflict between humans and neosapians was really interesting.  As an adult, I can see that some holes in the logic of the show, but that doesn't distract too much from the quality.  Namely:

Spoiler

The neosapian conquest and subjugation of Earth is far too easy.  How the neosapians could have built up the level of military might to conquer all of Earth in a matter of days is never explained.  They show the earth resistance, but they're always an outgunned, ragtag team.  I think something more realistic would be the neos using their fleet to crush resistance pockets from orbit, and cow the local populace.  Then taking over the existing earth militaries and using them against the human populace.

In addition, if the Neos did indeed conquer all of Earth, Mars and Venus, there's no way the Exofleet could win a long war with just the resources on Io and Chaos, even with Professor Algernon's scientific brilliance. 

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I have seen it. It’s cute.  It’s campy.  I dislike it for the same reason I dislike the Adam West and Joel Shoemake Batman iterations.  Not my thing.  

I also don’t want to see “Star Blazers, BOOM!” or “Macross, ZAP!” or “G.I. YO!” done in the same kiddie style animation as “Teen Titans, Go!”.

Agree although I don't really mind it being around. I've seen it, don't care to see more of it, but because there is so much animated DC goodness out there I don't mind them trying different things, there's room for the stuff I want to watch and what I don't want to watch but others do.

You forgot about Thundercats, Roar! That's what the new series coming out is actually called. This one irks me because there's not a lot of Thundercats series out there, just the 80's one and the 2011 one. I wish they'd explored the universe in a more serious style a bit more before they got all cutesy.

Archived