Cartoons you'd like to see remade?

Varysblackfyre321

On 1/19/2019 at 9:54 AM, Soylent Brown said:

More Captain Caveman, please.

In the early 90's when I heard about the live-action Flintstones movie, I was hoping for Captain Caveman cameo played by Bobcat Goldthwait.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Exosquad is what I came here to say.

I was actually thinking the exact same.

As an adult, I can see that some holes in the logic of the show, but that doesn't distract too much from the quality

Well, I haven't seen the show since it was literally still on TV, but yeah, the plot has some holes in it.  I think you could solve most of them by simply expanding the time frame of things and adding in that while humans focused on other planets and exploiting neo-sapien labor, in a sort "master-slave dialectic," the humans simply aren't able to capably defend themselves much any more.  Not to mention, a sort of "go-to" theme where humans are too fractious to be able to defend against a unified neo-sapien offensive.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/22/17381380/thundercats-roar-calarts-style-steven-universe

Here is quite a good article on the outrage of the new Thundercats Roar visual style. What is derisively called 'CalArts style' , that kind of loosely drawn visuals you'll see in Stephen Universe, Adventure Time and Gravity Falls (some of my favourite shows actually).

I do get the outrage on this however, as someone growing up with Thundercats, I would like to see a more adult take on the show, which always hinted at a bigger universe and darker themes.

18 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/22/17381380/thundercats-roar-calarts-style-steven-universe

Here is quite a good article on the outrage of the new Thundercats Roar visual style. What is derisively called 'CalArts style' , that kind of loosely drawn visuals you'll see in Stephen Universe, Adventure Time and Gravity Falls (some of my favourite shows actually).

I do get the outrage on this however, as someone growing up with Thundercats, I would like to see a more adult take on the show, which always hinted at a bigger universe and darker themes.

Damn that made me grimace. Truth be told I’m not really a fan of “Thundercats” like I’ve seen a couple episodes from the original series and from 2011(really disappointed how short it ran),  reboot but seeing the art for the most recent reboot made me think of the Ben Ten, powderpuff girls, Teen titans, reboots. 2 of which I find to vastly inferior products to the original. But I’ll give it a chance.  

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Damn that made me grimace. Truth be told I’m not really a fan of “Thundercats” like I’ve seen a couple episodes from the original series and from 2011(really disappointed how short it ran),  reboot but seeing the art for the most recent reboot made me think of the Ben Ten, powderpuff girls, Teen titans, reboots. 2 of which I find to vastly inferior products to the original. But I’ll give it a chance.  

So, are you going to give “Star Blazers, BOOM!”, “Macross, ZAP!”, and “G.I.YO!” A chance too when they are “reimagined” in the “Calarts” style?

And, for the record, if you like that style more power to you.  But make new cartoons don’t take cartoons people love and draw them like “Power Puff Girls”.

20 hours ago, .H. said:

I was actually thinking the exact same.

Well, I haven't seen the show since it was literally still on TV, but yeah, the plot has some holes in it.  I think you could solve most of them by simply expanding the time frame of things and adding in that while humans focused on other planets and exploiting neo-sapien labor, in a sort "master-slave dialectic," the humans simply aren't able to capably defend themselves much any more.  Not to mention, a sort of "go-to" theme where humans are too fractious to be able to defend against a unified neo-sapien offensive.

Yes, there are definitely solutions.  One would be that pre-war Neosapians are always portrayed on the show as miners, laborers and scientists.  If instead humans had been using neo-sapiens as soldiers in proxy wars, that would really help make their conquest of Earth a lot more realistic. 

That show had so much potential, I'm surprised it didn't catch on.  I got the season 1 DVDs a few years back (season 2 has never been released on DVD), and it definitely held up.  It's still a children's show, obviously, but it reminded me a lot more of my Batman:TAS rewatch, where there were still a lot of things an adult can appreciate in the music, animation, action, themes, rather than a few other children's cartoons I've watched that really didn't hold up (looking at you 90s X-men cartoon). 

Yes, there are definitely solutions.  One would be that pre-war Neosapians are always portrayed on the show as miners, laborers and scientists.  If instead humans had been using neo-sapiens as soldiers in proxy wars, that would really help make their conquest of Earth a lot more realistic.

Another route (or a supplemental one) would be, the conspiracy runs behind the scenes for a while, and the scientist and laborer Neo-sapiens slip back doors into the military technology, which they then render inert or directly turn them on humans in the uprising.  I think, if you take that route, it could be an interesting way to introduce what Exo-squad is.  That is, these "exoskeltons" were perhaps built by a business who, shut out from Neo labor for some reason, takes more of a trans-human or augmented human approach to something.  Those technologies, being inferior, aren't targeted by Neo-sapiens, becuase they are pretty worthless.  Perhaps, for whatever reason as well, this technology had forgone AI and is only augmentative and directly human controlled. Neo-subverted AI is the "master backdoor" that let the uprising proceed so quickly and effectively.

Perhaps these people who were big on Exo tech were sort of luddites.  Perhaps they were just the general AI-fearing types.  Perhaps some of them were racist, not trusting Neo tech at all.  Some mix of all of these makes the actual Exo squad a more interesting cast of characters.  Plus, then you throw an actual Neo into the squad for good measure and it's instant drama.  Spice with some more "liberal" squad members and you've got a dynamic there.

Once the revolts begins and the coup complete, Exo technology is the only thing that doesn't rely on AI, being "offline" and directly human driven.  The human "resistance" takes to converting the Exo tech for warfare purposes.  The Neo-sapiens, not really factoring in this sort of resistance, suffers high initial losses, until they start to counter, technologically and strategically.

That show had so much potential, I'm surprised it didn't catch on.  I got the season 1 DVDs a few years back (season 2 has never been released on DVD), and it definitely held up.  It's still a children's show, obviously, but it reminded me a lot more of my Batman:TAS rewatch, where there were still a lot of things an adult can appreciate in the music, animation, action, themes, rather than a few other children's cartoons I've watched that really didn't hold up (looking at you 90s X-men cartoon). 

I think it might be a case were the show was a little "too good" for it's own good.  That is, was probably a bit too "serious" for kids, too "kiddy" for adults.  The fact that it is relatively "hard" to find online now means it can't really find a good niche for a cult following either.  Plus, you know, the plot holes you mention.  I think it would be a fantastic canvas on which to paint a story, but who'd be buying?

EDIT: Duh, I just realized that in the initial plot of the show there already is a perfect reason why Exo tech would be used: the initial, "failed" rebellion of the Neos.  Some colony or other would likely have reacted by rejecting any and all derivatives.  I still think it's more interesting over-all if that tech isn't specifically military at first though.

17 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So, are you going to give “Star Blazers, BOOM!”, “Macross, ZAP!”, and “G.I.YO!” A chance too when they are “reimagined” in the “Calarts” style?

And, for the record, if you like that style more power to you.  But make new cartoons don’t take cartoons people love and draw them like “Power Puff Girls”.

I didn’t say I liked the CalArts style. I merely said I would give it a chance before I say whether it’s good or bad even though it’s appearance makes me think of two reboots that I think are bad.

Archived