Cartoons you'd like to see remade?

Varysblackfyre321

Most of them have been several times over so I'm struggling to think of any. There are also a lot of cartoons that can be simply watched over again instead of being remade eg gargoyles and samurai jack and avatar. Older cartoons might need remastering first.

Then there's the issue of people who are 30+ wanting a childhood cartoon remade so it fits with their adult perspectives. Maybe they just need to let that go as the original cartoon was never that in the first place. Eg wanting a He-man cartoon where he's struggling with drug addiction and has to wrestle with the fact he's basically assaulting cringer everytime he turns him into battlecat against his will. Whilst trying to stop skeletor commit genocide. Because that's not a remake - it's fan fiction.

But despite it being just as easy to watch the originals the following are ones I'd contemplate being remade (assuming they haven't already)

Mysterious cities of gold

Exo-squad

Jayce and the wheeled warriors

Prince Valiant

Visionaries 

Reboot (although i know they rebooted it recently and didn't care for it)

Raccoons

Shadow raiders.

Pirates of dark water

Most of those i haven't seen since i was a kid so they might be crap on a rewatch/not worthy of a reboot. As i suspect most people want adult cartoons when they want remakes of kid's cartoons then at least several of the above had relatively complex characters and storylines (several of them had character deaths and relatable villains) that could be aged up and still in the spirit of the cartoon. I guess some of them would be considered YA cartoons if the term existed back then. Again gargoyles is a great example of a cartoon with complex storylines and characters that could be remade for an older audience and maintain the spirit of the show. Or we could just watch gargoyles again and listen to the awesome theme tune over and over again

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Most of them have been several times over so I'm struggling to think of any. There are also a lot of cartoons that can be simply watched over again instead of being remade eg gargoyles and samurai jack and avatar. Older cartoons might need remastering first.

Then there's the issue of people who are 30+ wanting a childhood cartoon remade so it fits with their adult perspectives. Maybe they just need to let that go as the original cartoon was never that in the first place. Eg wanting a He-man cartoon where he's struggling with drug addiction and has to wrestle with the fact he's basically assaulting cringer everytime he turns him into battlecat against his will. Whilst trying to stop skeletor commit genocide. Because that's not a remake - it's fan fiction.

But despite it being just as easy to watch the originals the following are ones I'd contemplate being remade (assuming they haven't already)

Exo-squad

Prince Valiant

Visionaries 

Raccoons

Shadow raiders.

Pirates of dark water

Most of those i haven't seen since i was a kid so they might be crap on a rewatch/not worthy of a reboot. As i suspect most people want adult cartoons when they want remakes of kid's cartoons then at least several of the above had relatively complex characters and storylines (several of them had character deaths and relatable villains) that could be aged up and still in the spirit of the cartoon. I guess some of them would be considered YA cartoons if the term existed back then. Again gargoyles is a great example of a cartoon with complex storylines and characters that could be remade for an older audience and maintain the spirit of the show. Or we could just watch gargoyles again and listen to the awesome theme tune over and over again

I loved Visionaries!  As a fifth grader I had all those chants/poems memorized for my action figures!!! :lol: 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I loved Visionaries!  As a fifth grader I had all those chants/poems memorized for my action figures!!! :lol: 

Me too. I loved the blend of knights, magic and tech. And the toys were great with the holograms. Cool theme tune too! That said the show might be awful but it's similar to what i said recently in the star wars thread - sometimes the concept/world is far more appealing than the actual film/show.

I just watched the opening Theme (i love how old cartoons often established the show with a couple of sentences) . You know what? Screw my reservations of making cartoons grow up with the audience - they need to "GOT" this show ASAP! 

It's not a cartoon, I just want an actual Muppet Show reboot.

Not The Office Muppets from a couple of years ago or even Muppets Tonight from the 90's.

I want the original Muppet theater, the "It's Time to Get Things Started" opening, Veterinarian's Hospital, Pigs in Space, Muppet Labs, Scenes From the Ballroom, "Here's a Muppet News Flash!", all of that with modern guest, stars, with some of the newer Muppets like Pepe along the classic ones, and maybe a little bit of updates here and there with the humor and sketches (like some sketches like the Muppet web videos, imagine the Bohemian Rhapsody as one of the opening numbers, maybe a new recurring sketch that's a podcast always devolves into a flame war). Basically a full fledged series of what we got a taste of in the 3rd act of The Muppets 2011 movie.

My top ten dream list of very special guest stars on a Muppet Show, celebrities that I think would shine in a reboot of the classic variety series, would be:

Michael Keaton

Samuel L. Jackson

Donald Glover

Steve Carrell

The Rock

Scarlett Johansson

Bryan Cranston

Aubrey Plaza

Wayne Brady

Gabriel Iglesias

If I can't get that, can I at least please get The Muppet Show seasons 4 & 5 released on DVD or streaming?

Any cartoon I watched when I was a kid, they've re-done, and ruined... Bugs Bunny, Scooby Doo, and even Ren & Stimpy...  So the only things I can think might benefit from a modernization might be something like Thundercats... maybe some of the superhero cartoons... But if they attempt to ruin Rocko's modern Life, I'm going to fire off an angry letter. 

3 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Any cartoon I watched when I was a kid, they've re-done, and ruined... Bugs Bunny, Scooby Doo, and even Ren & Stimpy...  So the only things I can think might benefit from a modernization might be something like Thundercats... maybe some of the superhero cartoons... But if they attempt to ruin Rocko's modern Life, I'm going to fire off an angry letter. 

Did that in 2011.  Wasn’t bad.

4 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

25 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I thought it was pretty awesome actually.

Thank goodness they're not remaking Thundercats again in 2019! It would probably be way too influenced by cartoons like Teen Titans Go! and end up just looking ugly and stupid. The Thundercat's Universe has so much potential to explore in better ways before they go all tongue in cheek like that. So glad they're not remaking it right now!!!

Thundercats a few years back was actually decent and had a lot of potential. They definitely dropped the silly aspects of the original (although that was part of the charm!). Not sure why it was canned - I think it was probably victim of the Legends of Korra problem where they weren't exactly sure what to do with the show in terms of when to air and the target audience they were aiming for.

I think there was also a He-man cartoon in the early 2000s as well. A lot of the shows that sold toys have all been done again. TMNT, Batman and Spider-man seem to constantly be remade.

I did some googling around Visionaries and apparently there were ideas of creating a Mattel shared universe between transformers, GIJoe, MASK and Visionaries. I'm not exactly sure how the Visionaries could fit into a shared world without major reworking (although I've always been attracted to the idea of someone doing a contemporary Camelot, Knights of the round table with magic). So chances are they are all more likely to turn up in film than cartoon at the moment.

My favourite cartoons as a kid, I would say... 80s Transformers, 90s XMen, 90s Spiderman, Pinky and the Brain, Johnny Bravo, 90s Simpsons and Ren & Stimpy. Honestly I would hate to see any of them remade because I still hold them in high regard, and remakes are nearly always worse. Must say I will NEVER go back and rewatch because they won't live up to fond memories (Ren and Stimpy excluded)

Unpopular opinion... I would choose a Batman cartoon remake. 90s Batman cartoon I never really took to though I realise it is loved by many fans.

17 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Me personally I'd like Gargoyles given another go. 

LOVED Gargoyles. After Season 2, I'm not sure what happened to it (when it moved to Saturday mornings). It's like the writers all left.

My vote is going to Space Ghost or Space Ghost Coast to Coast

16 hours ago, red snow said:

Exo-squad

Prince Valiant

Visionaries 

Raccoons

Shadow raiders.

Pirates of dark water

Pirates of Dark Water is one of those great/frustrating shows (of course, I haven't seen it since the 90s either, so yeah, it could be crap). 

But it's a show built on finding 13(?) items. The show "ends" when they find the items, so we get bloated episodes of them finding nothing. I feel like this was a specific formula in the 80s and 90s. Now, I think it'd be fine because it'd be Season 1: Find 13 items, Season 2: Realize a bigger, worse thing is out there, Season: Etc.

Edit: I think shows like He Man and its reboot would really benefit from people loving big story arcs now, and villains that posed a threat. Imagine if Beast Man or Trapjaw weren't bumbling fools, but difficult to defeat foes. I think that's what the He Man (early 2000s) remake got right was Skeletor--he seemed a pretty good villain. Now just do it to his minions, and we have a winner!

I heard the new She Ra was pretty good. 

8 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Pirates of Dark Water is one of those great/frustrating shows (of course, I haven't seen it since the 90s either, so yeah, it could be crap). 

But it's a show built on finding 13(?) items. The show "ends" when they find the items, so we get bloated episodes of them finding nothing. I feel like this was a specific formula in the 80s and 90s. Now, I think it'd be fine because it'd be Season 1: Find 13 items, Season 2: Realize a bigger, worse thing is out there, Season: Etc.

Edit: I think shows like He Man and its reboot would really benefit from people loving big story arcs now, and villains that posed a threat. Imagine if Beast Man or Trapjaw weren't bumbling fools, but difficult to defeat foes. I think that's what the He Man (early 2000s) remake got right was Skeletor--he seemed a pretty good villain. Now just do it to his minions, and we have a winner!

I heard the new She Ra was pretty good. 

Nowadays it would probably be a season per treasure or one of the treasures would be fragmented into smaller parts :)

16 hours ago, red snow said:

I think there was also a He-man cartoon in the early 2000s as well. A lot of the shows that sold toys have all been done again. TMNT, Batman and Spider-man seem to constantly be remade.

I loved the He-Man remake in 2002. Right now there's a She-Ra reboot on Netflix that many people love. 

Transformers is another one constantly being remade or continued. There's like 2 or 3 series that were strictly shown in Japan that aside from ignoring the 3 episodes of season 4 directly continue from the G1 series.

Then there was Beast Wars, as much as I loved the original cartoon I could never get into it except for a few episodes that directly relate to the the G1 cartoon. 

Then a bunch of other Transformers series I never got into until Transfrmers: Prime. I liked that one.

2 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I loved the He-Man remake in 2002. Right now there's a She-Ra reboot on Netflix that many people love. 

Transformers is another one constantly being remade or continued. There's like 2 or 3 series that were strictly shown in Japan that aside from ignoring the 3 episodes of season 4 directly continue from the G1 series.

Then there was Beast Wars, as much as I loved the original cartoon I could never get into it except for a few episodes that directly relate to the the G1 cartoon. 

Then a bunch of other Transformers series I never got into until Transfrmers: Prime. I liked that one.

It often feels like there's at least 2versions of transformers on at any given time.

Sadly i missed most of beast wars/war machines as it was only shown in 10 minute indtsllments during holidays in UK. When i got access to it on sky beast machines was ending but those last few episodes were pretty epic. On the whole the mainframe shows were pretty good and they told stories not just aimed at pre-teens or at the least didn't treat them like idiots

Archived